Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Mold Paranoia

Bella Liston
@bella-liston
14 years ago
11 posts
Ok, my big struggle has been what do I was my locks with? I've used baking soda with a few drop of essentail oil in my last two washes. Overall it has done very well. But I find myself obsessed with getting them dry and making sure there is no residue left behind. I feel that my hair has the smallest amount of residue left behind. I'm not sure if that means I need to add more baking soda or hold off on the oils. All I know is I cannot get any crazy mold or mildew and i'm terrified of it.My phobia began after reading a forum where someone had stinking locks. When they cut into one they found blue and white mold. Eel blue mold....
updated by @bella-liston: 01/13/15 08:37:11PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i never obsess over drying mine i pour water over my head all summer too cool downonloy time i ever thought i had an issue was after putting em in a hat wetjust dont tie em up or put in a hat wet and u wont need to worrybutif you wanna be sure do mold preventioninstead of weak acv rince do a much stronger white vinagar rince and add thyme and lavander

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
Mold begins to develop when water gets trapped in hair. If you haven't used any wax don't worry about mold.Just continue with the baking soda washes, rinse your hair out really well and dry. Using the essential oils that prevent mold helps also.I am not sure how much baking soda you are using, however for my hair I use one level tablespoon of baking soda for every eight ounces of water.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
whenever [ossible sun drythat helps alot too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Zachary Al Joseph Warfel
@zachary-al-joseph-warfel
14 years ago
34 posts
just figure, if it's only damp at the most after drying you should be fine. yeah just don't put it in a hat or anything. i made that mistake once.
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
lol, you're not gonna get mold. Like everyone else said. Just don't wear a hat when wet or sleep on em when wet, you'll be fine. Don't worry so much, it's silly.
Jill McCulloch
@jill-mcculloch
14 years ago
29 posts
Which essential oils are good for the prevention of mold and for the health and wellness of your dreads? :) GoldenEagle said:
Mold begins to develop when water gets trapped in hair. If you haven't used any wax don't worry about mold.

Just continue with the baking soda washes, rinse your hair out really well and dry. Using the essential oils that prevent mold helps also.

I am not sure how much baking soda you are using, however for my hair I use one level tablespoon of baking soda for every eight ounces of water.
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
ever since i had mine, the only time they stunk was when i was using wax (and it was bad lemme tell you O_o )since switching to the BS/ACV clean around once a month and dr B with rosemary an tea tree the rest of the month, my locks never smell bad, actually get a few compliments here an there about them smelling like w/eas long as your responsible (and eventually it just becomes instinctive) you will never have to worry about them growing mold or anything.
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
Herbs for Natural Remedies The most commonly advised is Thyme and Lavender. At the moment, I am using tea tree oil and peppermint oil for their anti-fungal and/or disinfectant characteristics. Jill McCulloch said:
Which essential oils are good for the prevention of mold and for the health and wellness of your dreads? :)

Jo
@jo
14 years ago
176 posts
I remember a while back I thought I might've had some mold or mildew. and Someone on this site (sorry I dont remember who) recommended that I make a tea out of some thyme and pour it on my hair. And that's what I did
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form