Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How thin is too thin?

Jill McCulloch
@jill-mcculloch
14 years ago
29 posts
I started my dreads a few days ago and as I was sitting at work today I starting thinking; are my dreads too thin? I've been looking on line because I want to eventually get beads to wear but it seems like most of them are made for thicker dreads, mine at the moment are slimmer than a pencil.So should I add more hair in to make thicker dreads or are skinny ones okay? :)
updated by @jill-mcculloch: 01/13/15 08:37:00PM
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
I'm not the best person to give help on this topic BUT they will thicken over time and eventually they will start trying to congo. Just let em congo and they'll do alright. Skinny dreads are okay though. As long as they are healthy. So you can just leave em and see what happens. No reason to fret this early on.
Jake Holland
@jake-holland
14 years ago
203 posts
They should thicken up based on the size of the sections I think. I started mine off pretty thin because I didn't want them to eventually be too fat. let a couple congo up and throw a bead on that :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i had a yon of thin some thick 1 microdread i let em congo at will 2 years ago so most congoed up

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
Most of my dreadlocks are thinner than a standard #2 pencil. I have a few that are about as thin as a sewing machine needle.Give yourself a several months before deciding. The size of your sections will give you an idea of about how thick they will be.
KrazyKabel
@krazykabel
12 years ago
8 posts
I know this is an old post but just thought I'd comment on your question how thin is too thin? obviously its all up to the person. in my case i thought mine were too thick.My front dreads are thicker and the slowly get a little thinner as they go back towards my neck ( i had to redo, twist and rip, the back twice). I have very straight hair and knotting has been very difficult. I have had mine for almost two months and i have added random slim dreads from hair that has unwrapped from other dreads. I started with a lil over 60 dreads and last time i counted i was over 70 and I am pretty sure if I counted now the number would be different as well. The fluctuation is fun :o)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

theres no right or wrong answer but keep in mu-=ind thet wil thicken ..count them tbats a better wat to judge

my thinnest is 1 milimeter the thickness of the lettewr l on your screen and thats 3 dreads combined..

a pencil sized tnr dread can end up qurtee sized 6 months from now

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form