Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

NEW backcombed dreads, Advice?

❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
So I just finished just over half of my head, and I was wondering what I can do to prevent them from coming out.I mostly backcombed them. I do have rubber bands at the roots but I don't know if that will actually help any. Should I wear something wrapped around my head tonight? Is it ok to tie them up or braid them together during the day? I know they will only mature if they can move around, but I need to look "decent" for a few hours a day. If I I braid them together to take a shower will that help them to stay together?They are pretty well together now but I know that they'll probably loosen up for a few weeks.
updated by @opaulao: 01/13/15 08:36:07PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
u shoulda twstt and ripped instead of backcombed theyd hold together way betterbut oki wouldnt really worry bout it cause backcombing never really shoulda been part of dreading, if they unravel they'll still dread just finei dont think u should braid to wash unless u want a dread helmet they very easily could all become a great big tangled massu can cover em while u sleep and tie em back for worki would really recommend removing the bands asap 2 days max no longerfor future dreads twist and rip instead u will worry less they'll hold up betterwash gently 1st few washes

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
well actualy...what I did was kindof complicated. I did use a teasing plastic comb,has little bristles inside that make tangles faster. I back combed for a few strokes then did some twist and rip until it wouldn't catch anymore hair. then I backcombed some more and twist and rip again.I tried doing all backcomb and I really didn't like it. Then I tried all twist and rip and there would be a point where my hair wouldn't knot anymore because it's really soft soaringeagle said:
u shoulda twstt and ripped instead of backcombed theyd hold together way better
but ok
i wouldnt really worry bout it cause backcombing never really shoulda been part of dreading, if they unravel they'll still dread just fine
i dont think u should braid to wash unless u want a dread helmet they very easily could all become a great big tangled mass

u can cover em while u sleep and tie em back for work
i would really recommend removing the bands asap 2 days max no longer

for future dreads twist and rip instead u will worry less they'll hold up better

wash gently 1st few washes
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
hybrids :)that shoulda done a thourough job so just wait n seebut if they come apart..its totaly ok..they will dread anyway lets seeeeeeeewe demand pictures! Paula Figueroa said:
well actualy...what I did was kindof complicated. I did use a teasing plastic comb,has little bristles inside that make tangles faster. I back combed for a few strokes then did some twist and rip until it wouldn't catch anymore hair. then I backcombed some more and twist and rip again.

I tried doing all backcomb and I really didn't like it. Then I tried all twist and rip and there would be a point where my hair wouldn't knot anymore because it's really soft

soaringeagle said:
but ok
i wouldnt really worry bout it cause backcombing never really shoulda been part of dreading, if they unravel they'll still dread just fine
i dont think u should braid to wash unless u want a dread helmet they very easily could all become a great big tangled mass

for future dreads twist and rip instead u will worry less they'll hold up better

--
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
LOL I was really hoping to get them as tight as possible with causing little damage...I'll post a pic ass soon as I finish :)

soaringeagle said:
hybrids :) that shoulda done a thourough job so just wait n seebut if they come apart..its totaly ok..they will dread anyway lets seeeeeeeewe demand pictures! Paula Figueroa said:
well actualy...what I did was kindof complicated. I did use a teasing plastic comb,has little bristles inside that make tangles faster. I back combed for a few strokes then did some twist and rip until it wouldn't catch anymore hair. then I backcombed some more and twist and rip again.

I tried doing all backcomb and I really didn't like it. Then I tried all twist and rip and there would be a point where my hair wouldn't knot anymore because it's really soft

soaringeagle said:
but ok

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
cant wait to see em

--
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
Take the rubber bands out and the only thing left for you to do is just be patient with yourself. Your dreadlocks now require time to mature.When I am out at work, I usually have mine up in a loose ponytail. My supervisors don't say anything about the dreadlocks. They usually care more about work ethic than outward appearance.If you have to up them up do so. When you get the chance pull them down and shake your head a little bit and pull your dreadlocks away from each other.
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Thanks. I decided to use rubber bands to help my sectioning. And it's a lot easier to dread when it's a nice rounded and isolaed section. I did the back first and I took the bands out after about 2 days and although they looked pretty good, some of the roots were completely undreaded because the rubberbands pulled the dreads down. When I did the front I still used rubber bands but put them tighter and closer to the roots and that worked out really well. Took those out after 2 days too.
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
One question though...I'm used to washing my hair every day, so now I know I should only wash al least every 3 days hu can I still rinse my hair? I've also always had a bit of an itchy scalp and the cold rinse helps a lot but I want to be able to to it as often as possible. Also because I'm used to washing it so often it tends to bet oily by the end of the day.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
washing less will make u less oily slowlyu can rince whenever but wouldnt just cause they dry so much slower

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form