Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

if you didnt go neglect/natural to get dreadlocks do you wish you did (and vice versa)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
i'm just curiusover and over i hear people say they wished they dreaded naturally, but i've never heard anyone say i wish i backcombed (if they went natural)but i am sure some must feel that way?so i'm really interested to see how this turns outwhat method did you useand now what method do you wish you'd used?(the above might sound biased but it has been my experience, this is a real attempt at determining if it is a biased or realistic representation of the greatter dread community)me i'v only gone natural and dont ever plan on having to start over but if i did id go natural again

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/03/18 03:23:45PM
bill
@bill
14 years ago
30 posts
i went to a shop to get my dreads, they used some "natural wax" back combed and root fliped them, i cut one of my dreads off at where they were put in (with about 2-3 inch of my new dread left) and i was a little unnerved by the sight of...dirty-ness in the core of the dread i loped off, so yh i wish i dreaded naturally but que sera sera you live n learn.
Joshua O'Connor
@joshua-oconnor
14 years ago
32 posts
yeah i went the backcombed method cos i didnt do enough research before i made the plunge,,, :(,,,, but aye i wish i had gone natural to tell you the truth just for the fact of how much damage can be avoided by just doing nothing :) haha,,,, the backcombing kinda hursts aswell :(,,, but 5 6 months in the dreads are just doing there own thing and getting there altho a little slower a step at a time :) haha
adam
@adam
14 years ago
1 posts
when i stared out i was goin with the advice of johnny clean and backcombed it up. now all i do is wash my hair with dr b's, rub them, and be patient. i'm pretty happy with mah dreadies now, i jjust wish they were longer :)
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
I'm going natural, sometimes I think I should T&R because they are pretty loopy and crazy but other times I love em.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
loopy and crazy is good and well all dreads get loops thats just how dreads dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts
i back combed most, TnR's some, and have some natural too. My favorite ones are back-combed, but I love all of them and wouldn't change a thing. <3
Honeybee
@honeybee
14 years ago
21 posts
I have half of my head backcombed (the entire underneath layer) and the rest I combed out and am letting them go natural. Today I was able to slide a couple of beads onto my newly forming ones which was pretty exciting:) If I had it to do all over I would go natural,it's much more satisfying for me to just let my hair do what it wants. And the lesson in patience is priceless:)
Flicker Wings
@flicker-wings
14 years ago
20 posts
haha I always sometime wonder if I would like my dreads a lot more if I back combed them instead of the natural method. I have one dread that I back combed long before I stopped brushing and it is my favorite. I like how the end of it is wispy-not like the round tips of the natural ones. I also like the thickness and size of it. Plus, it has about a year on the other dreads that are only in their 4 month and a lot of them are still locking up and looking crazy. It is also my longest dread, and I miss the length of my hair. I lost a lot of length. But, I am just trying to be patient with these babies. Hopefully in time, the natural dreads will be my favorite.
Honeybee
@honeybee
14 years ago
21 posts
The main reason that I combed out the top half of my dreads was because I couldn't stand how unnatural the sections were. I had them as perfect squares and they just didn't flow right. If I had let them section themselves and they had looked more natural i would have left them. I actually enjoyed backcombing them, it was tiring and my head was a little sore but it was almost like being in a meditative state...But, I figured since I was starting over that I might as well go natural and experience that:)I Knottysleeves said:
I backcombed both my sets and have no regrets.

I'd had my first set for 6 years, and for various reasons I combed them out. But I just didn't feel like "me" anymore without dreads. After a 6-month break and another 3 months trying the patience method and not getting anywhere, I wasn't willing to wait any longer... I was impatient to get back to having dreads, so I took the backcombing shortcut. I'm very happy with how they turned out. I have a few twist & rip dreads and they took awhile to get going, but I love how they've developed all wavy and zig-zaggy!

Would I try the full-on patience method again, if I ever started another set? I honestly don't know. I totally get the philosophy behind the patience method, but I don't know if it's for me. I've embraced patience, spirituality and mellowness in many other aspects of my life (which is already a huge change from my pre-dreads personality) so I honestly don't feel like I'm missing out on any of the lessons that the patience method teaches. I dunno. It's just not a big deal in my personal dread journey, but much respect to those who fully embrace it.

I am curious to try twist & rip next time, but frankly, I don't see much difference between that and backcombing -- both are shortcuts for forming sections and getting tangles started. The only real difference is whether you use a comb or your fingers.

updated by @honeybee: 07/13/15 11:17:09AM
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form