Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Smelly, but not rotty hair?

Junebug Johnson
@junebug-johnson
14 years ago
22 posts
Okay, so I wash my hair about once a week with a dread soap I bought. Yeah, its the one off the DreadheadHQ site i bought when I didnt knowhow to make my own. I still have to use it though, no need to waste.Anyway, I have been realizing a smell from my hair. No one has noticed it yet, thankfully. Its like if you don't wash regular hair for maybe... 2 weeks? But not a "dreadrot" smell. Plus, I havent used any residues in my hair so that wouldnt make sense.Is there a really good rinse or something to fully get rid of that smell? I would be open to anything. The smell seems to go away for a little bit when I wash and then come back fairly quickly.Also, when I wash my dreads, there is a lot of dandruff. Kinda grosses me out? I get it all off, but is there something i can use? Like a recipe? The shampoo says it is anti dandruff, but it fails. hahaI already have some lavender castille soap from Dr. Bronners. If I do use it, I dilute that shiz up reeeeeal nice. like 1/12 or something.Thanks :D
updated by @junebug-johnson: 02/14/15 08:39:26AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
ok heres whst id doin a gallon pitcher mixa good squirt of bronners some baking soda (3-5 tablespoons) 5-10 drops teatree oil 10-30 drops rosemary oildump over head lather up (wet hair with cool noyt hot water)rince with freeeeeeezing cold waterthat will wipe away any dandruff (u can leave it soak on a couple minutes)now the mildew smellif it doesnt go saway with just that then next time add an after rinse white vinagar with lavander oil and inly dilute it a lil bit u want it strong and leave it soak a few minutesrince very wellu can also try a strong thyme tea sprayed on and left onu never used wax?do u ever tie em up when damp or wear a hat while damp?oh sun dry as often as u can toothe dreadheadhq soap will give u dandruff

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Junebug Johnson
@junebug-johnson
14 years ago
22 posts
Oh, thank you thank you. I need to pick up some rosemary oil. :). I always have used hot water because thats the way I shower, but I will try with the cold. I have never used wax and always let my hair air dry. For example, I would wash it in the morning before school, then go to school with it down. It would end up drying then. And thats nice with the shampoo info... I already had dandruff issues. haha ironyyyy... soaringeagle said:
ok heres whst id do
in a gallon pitcher mix
a good squirt of bronners some baking soda (3-5 tablespoons) 5-10 drops teatree oil 10-30 drops rosemary oil
dump over head lather up (wet hair with cool noyt hot water)
rince with freeeeeeezing cold water
that will wipe away any dandruff (u can leave it soak on a couple minutes)
now the mildew smell

if it doesnt go saway with just that then next time add an after rinse white vinagar with lavander oil and inly dilute it a lil bit u want it strong and leave it soak a few minutes
rince very well

u can also try a strong thyme tea sprayed on and left on

u never used wax?

do u ever tie em up when damp or wear a hat while damp?

oh sun dry as often as u can too

the dreadheadhq soap will give u dandruff
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
I liked the dhhq soap (only thing I won't really argue about) but for me it didn't quite do the trick after using it for months, not to mention when i used the wax I remember my hair smelling,, not so good even with it's use. (didn't really get rid of dandruff well for me either even with using alot more of it)after testing out a few mixtures of SE's above post (everyone's a little different) i ended up mixing additional essential oils with w/e DR B of choice and I haven't had an issue with my hair smelling bad ever since.
Junebug Johnson
@junebug-johnson
14 years ago
22 posts
Oh thats interesting... I think i am gonna try soaringeagle's recipe. I will report back! :) thank youu <3 Iain said:
I liked the dhhq soap (only thing I won't really argue about) but for me it didn't quite do the trick after using it for months, not to mention when i used the wax I remember my hair smelling,, not so good even with it's use. (didn't really get rid of dandruff well for me either even with using alot more of it)
after testing out a few mixtures of SE's above post (everyone's a little different) i ended up mixing additional essential oils with w/e DR B of choice and I haven't had an issue with my hair smelling bad ever since.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i just added the cold water to the ever evolving experiment that is my washing technique and wow the cold water made a massive difference in the dandruff

--
Junebug Johnson
@junebug-johnson
14 years ago
22 posts
Why is that though..? I didnt know temperature could effect it at all. thats cool though. soaringeagle said:
i just added the cold water to the ever evolving experiment that is my washing technique and wow the cold water made a massive difference in the dandruff
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i think cause it closes the pores or somethingi knew temp affected hair like cold made it shiny and smooth etc but i didnt know about the dandruff of right also hot water drys the scalp outsomeone else had talked about it in the hot or cold water wash discussion i think aron startedso i decided to test it and it worked amazingly

--
Junebug Johnson
@junebug-johnson
14 years ago
22 posts
Ahhh... :) My hair feels clean again... Thank you sooo much! Now, do I do this every week? Or should I use a different recipe? soaringeagle said:
i think cause it closes the pores or something
i knew temp affected hair like cold made it shiny and smooth etc but i didnt know about the dandruff of right also hot water drys the scalp out

someone else had talked about it in the hot or cold water wash discussion i think aron started
so i decided to test it and it worked amazingly
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
u can do it every week or vary the recipie according to needs ..if u did white vinagar/lavander for musty smell u wont need that unless u smell it again thats for killing mold spores etc

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form