Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Being Offended. Is it really that bad?

Orange Clock
@orange-clock
14 years ago
72 posts
We are all human, we all have life and our beliefs. What if your beliefs and your opinions or even your jokes offend people? Is that a reason to stop or to censor.Being the best person I can be. I like to tell jokes about the ridiculous nature of self. My drive is not to offend. If I am offended I believe that it is only my problem and it is only my perception that sees that as being offensive. If offense is directly aimed at me then all I do is try and devalue their currency.I do get upset about some things though. Misunderstandings, over generalizations and discrimination.Please if you could answer these questions;D you have a fear of being offended?Do you shut them down when you do feel that way?Do you think offending people is wrong?Is there ever a right way to offend someone?Social offense, offense in the media please could you mention where and when if possible.
updated by @orange-clock: 02/13/18 05:14:02AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
sometimes i do come off offensive when being too blunt in trying to get a point across

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Orange Clock
@orange-clock
14 years ago
72 posts
What about freedom of speech vs offending people?SE you are not being offensive you are just standing up for what you believe is true and using a firm tone. We are not supposed to be nice to each other all the time IMO and some people just need to be told sometimes and that is including me.When I was younger I was always feeling guilty for something. I'm one of those who can't be quite and never sat still (yes that special condition they sometimes medicate you for). I grew up and now I think there was never a reason for me to be guilty I am who I am. I never threatened anyone. I have also slowed my reactions down to some degree too.
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
I'm super offensive. A lot of time I'll write a post then delete the whole thing and leave one sentence just so it doesn't offend anyone. I'm kinda getting sick of doing this and I think that I'll eventually just tell it like it is and not give a crap anymore. I already do this in real life...
Raging Roots Amy
@raging-roots-amy
14 years ago
73 posts
1)Do you have a fear of being offended?I wouldn't call it *fear*, but I don't think anyone LIKES to be offended. I don't enjoy it by any means, LOL.2) Do you shut them down when you do feel that way?I try very hard not to. A lot of times if someone says something that can be construed as offensive it was not intended to be so. If you can remain level-headed enough to let the person explain themselves, usually everything can be resolved. It's the cases where people seem to be purposely offensive that really rubs me the wrong way.3) Do you think offending people is wrong?Right and wrong are relative to each person. Do I personally think it's wrong? Well, I would answer that by saying that I make it a point to not offend people because I think it's possible to express my opinions (regardless of how strong they may be) in a way that is neutral and respectful.4) Is there ever a right way to offend someone?Certainly in some cases no matter how hard you may try to word things as neutrally as possible, a person will be offended by it. In those cases it's usually best to walk away. I am pretty fond of the addage, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." When voicing an opinion, particularly one I know might not be very popular, I am very careful to word things using 'I' statements. 'I think', or 'I believe' so it can't be misconstrued as me trying to push my beliefs on the person -- just that I am stating them for the record, so to speak. If they still become offended than I feel like I can rest easy knowing that I did my best to prevent it.
Raging Roots Amy
@raging-roots-amy
14 years ago
73 posts
1)Do you have a fear of being offended?I wouldn't call it *fear*, but I don't think anyone LIKES to be offended. I don't enjoy it by any means, LOL.2) Do you shut them down when you do feel that way?I try very hard not to. A lot of times if someone says something that can be construed as offensive it was not intended to be so. If you can remain level-headed enough to let the person explain themselves, usually everything can be resolved. It's the cases where people seem to be purposely offensive that really rubs me the wrong way.3) Do you think offending people is wrong?Right and wrong are relative to each person. Do I personally think it's wrong? Well, I would answer that I make it a point to not offend people because I think it's possible to express my opinions (regardless of how strong they may be) in a way that is neutral and respectful.4) Is there ever a right way to offend someone?Certainly in some cases no matter how hard you may try to word things as neutrally as possible, a person will be offended by it. In those cases it's usually best to walk away. I am pretty fond of the addage, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." When voicing an opinion, particularly one I know might not be very popular, I am very careful to word things using 'I' statements. 'I think', or 'I believe' so it can't be misconstrued as me trying to push my beliefs on the person -- just that I am stating them for the record, so to speak. If they still become offended than I feel like I can rest easy knowing that I did my best to prevent it.
Orange Clock
@orange-clock
14 years ago
72 posts
Does it not just all boil down to one word?Respect. If you respect someone then any they say would only be a point of view. You can be open and permissive and not be someone who is without any pride.
Orange Clock
@orange-clock
14 years ago
72 posts
KnottyMama said:

Certainly in some cases no matter how hard you may try to word things as neutrally as possible, a person will be offended by it. In those cases it's usually best to walk away. I am pretty fond of the addage, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." When voicing an opinion, particularly one I know might not be very popular, I am very careful to word things using 'I' statements. 'I think', or 'I believe' so it can't be misconstrued as me trying to push my beliefs on the person -- just that I am stating them for the record, so to speak. If they still become offended than I feel like I can rest easy knowing that I did my best to prevent it.
Are you doing something wrong if you just say what you think and not "sugar coat it" its not your fault some one else is not agreeing with you. Is the message less important than the presentation.
Raging Roots Amy
@raging-roots-amy
14 years ago
73 posts
No, but in most cases where I am expressing an opinion I realize that it is just that: my opinion. Although I may feel strongly about something, they are entitled to their own opinion. If my logic makes sense to them maybe they'll change their mind and maybe they won't, but it's rare that people change their mind because a point of view is shoved down their throat or they are insulted, LOL. That's just IMHO.Admittedly, it's just not some people's style to 'sugar coat' things. (Although I don't think I would call what I do sugar coating.) Grey and SE come to mind ;-). I think, too, that if an opinion can be backed or supported by some kind of fact it can lessen the blow, so to speak. At least when SE and Grey give answers and responses in their straight-forward, no BS sort of way it's USUALLY support by fact. It's when name-calling and mud-slinging are brought into it that it tends to cause trouble, I think.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form