Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New Member / Long Term Dreads

Alex Thompson
@alex-thompson
14 years ago
10 posts
I've been growing dreads for at least the past six years. I'm used to someone else doing them, but since I moved to southern CA they've been pretty wild. Anyone else in the San Bernadino/Inland Empire area? Any suggestions on where to get mine tightened?

updated by @alex-thompson: 02/14/15 11:37:42AM
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
Why do you think you need them tightened? Dreadlocks tighten without you needing to go anywhere to have them tightened.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
leave them alone! retightening only makes them weakthey never need retightening..everbutdependsing how u had them retightened u may have severe damage u need to recover fromif u crocheted well u will get very wild due to the massive amount of broken hairsso how were they retightened before?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Alex Thompson
@alex-thompson
14 years ago
10 posts
GoldenEagle said:
Why do you think you need them tightened? Dreadlocks tighten without you needing to go anywhere to have them tightened.
Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology? Touching up my roots? Twisting my roots? Whatever the case, I like the neat look and I have about 3 months of new growth that needs to be attended to, pronto.
Alex Thompson
@alex-thompson
14 years ago
10 posts
soaringeagle said:
leave them alone! retightening only makes them weak
they never need retightening..ever
but

dependsing how u had them retightened u may have severe damage u need to recover from

if u crocheted well u will get very wild due to the massive amount of broken hairs

so how were they retightened before?
Haha, I can't. For my own personal taste I need the new growth attended to, but it's even more urgent as I'm job hunting. It's tough enough looking for jobs with dreads, but rough dreads? Not a nice mix.So yeah, touching up or twisting the roots/new growth. And I had a woman I went to every 1 to 3 months who took care of them at a decent rate.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
leave itover ywisting can cause dreads to breakthe new growth will become new dreads or join and reinforce dread rootswroots do not ever need maintenance and anything u do to em just causes weakness thye roots are the fiundations where u get strengthive seen dreads twisted right offbut if u really insist on retwisting how hard is it to twist a dread?dont waste yioyr money..you have hands..twist em..but your better off not at all Alex Thompson said:
GoldenEagle said:

Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology? Touching up my roots? Twisting my roots? Whatever the case, I like the neat look and I have about 3 months of new growth that needs to be attended to, pronto.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Alex Thompson
@alex-thompson
14 years ago
10 posts
How so? Sister Rags said:
Man....is the moon full or something? I'm sure having a frustrating night.
Jaquerian McCain
@jaquerian-mccain
14 years ago
45 posts
You will find that a few will tell you to let them be. I think what is missing here is the basic understanding that OUR hair is quite different. We do not do T&R. We do not do the natural loc thing for the most part. Most blacks that I know that do the natural loc are Rastas and they do not work in corporate america. I wish I could help you find a good loctician. However, have you ever tried retightening yourself. All you need is the loc'ing gel (mango and Lime) and some clips. Start with the back row first. Twist and hold in place with clip. Each row - move the clip up to hold it against the last row you did. You will find that you will have a neat and polished look - then head to the barbershop for that double fade line.You will look good enough to eat!!! Oh and prolly get the job too.LOL
Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts
Jaquerian McCain said:
You will find that a few will tell you to let them be. I think what is missing here is the basic understanding that OUR hair is quite different. We do not do T&R. We do not do the natural loc thing for the most part. Most blacks that I know that do the natural loc are Rastas and they do not work in corporate america. I wish I could help you find a good loctician. However, have you ever tried retightening yourself. All you need is the loc'ing gel (mango and Lime) and some clips. Start with the back row first. Twist and hold in place with clip. Each row - move the clip up to hold it against the last row you did. You will find that you will have a neat and polished look - then head to the barbershop for that double fade line.
You will look good enough to eat!!! Oh and prolly get the job too.
LOL
this. I have helped my friends twist their locks, and it is not hard once you get the hang of it. good luck :):):)
Alex Thompson
@alex-thompson
14 years ago
10 posts
True. Yeah, I've just been spoiled the whole time I've had locks with having someone else doing them. But yeah, I need to break down and start doing them myself. Any particular brands I should look at?Thank you very much for the suggestions and the compliments! :) Jaquerian McCain said:
You will find that a few will tell you to let them be. I think what is missing here is the basic understanding that OUR hair is quite different. We do not do T&R. We do not do the natural loc thing for the most part. Most blacks that I know that do the natural loc are Rastas and they do not work in corporate america. I wish I could help you find a good loctician. However, have you ever tried retightening yourself. All you need is the loc'ing gel (mango and Lime) and some clips. Start with the back row first. Twist and hold in place with clip. Each row - move the clip up to hold it against the last row you did. You will find that you will have a neat and polished look - then head to the barbershop for that double fade line.
You will look good enough to eat!!! Oh and prolly get the job too.
LOL
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form