Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Seperating dreads

Nicolas Faieta
@nicolas-faieta
14 years ago
17 posts
Hello all. My hair has been dreading for about two and a half months. I have noticed some massive knots at the roots on the back of my head. I have been separating by tearing apart the larger locks. Today, when separating I ripped out a decent amount hair that was not part of the lock but between this lock and another. Is that common?Also, I notice that when separating the locks by tearing them apart I actually create like very skinny scraggly "in between locks" if you wanna call them that but they are very thin (with only a few hairs) and scraggly looking. Its difficult for me to decide to try and rip them as a part one or the other lock because they don't seem to want to go in either. What would you guys suggest I do?
updated by @nicolas-faieta: 02/14/15 03:37:20AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
let them be theyre own lock unless they decide to join 1umm how are u ripping u shouldnt be ripping hair out just breaking connecting hairs

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Nicolas Faieta
@nicolas-faieta
14 years ago
17 posts
I have been grabbing at the root and ripping them apart but today when I did so I tried to also seperate some stray hairs that I thought would go with that lock also and those stray hairs just ripped out of my head. soaringeagle said:
let them be theyre own lock unless they decide to join 1
umm how are u ripping u shouldnt be ripping hair out just breaking connecting hairs
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
Going natural you will get chunks of loose hair in between dreads, most of it will either form it's own dread or combine into another later. I still have a few patches of loose hair at my hairline, not a big deal. No one notices unless I point it out to them. I repeatedly get asked what I 'do' to them, how I blunted my tips, etc...I get strange looks when I tell them "Nothing....".
Nicolas Faieta
@nicolas-faieta
14 years ago
17 posts
Interesting. All my hair except the front parts are mostly locked up. I have 4 fat ass locks on the back of my head that I make sure I keep separate. I have a feeling I'm not going to have a large amount of locks due to the size of these ones, which is fine with me. It is a crazy feeling to touch the back of my head its so cushony like a big pillow and it sticks out like an inch more than it used to. Its so awesome. Spider Feet said:
Going natural you will get chunks of loose hair in between dreads, most of it will either form it's own dread or combine into another later. I still have a few patches of loose hair at my hairline, not a big deal. No one notices unless I point it out to them. I repeatedly get asked what I 'do' to them, how I blunted my tips, etc...I get strange looks when I tell them "Nothing....".
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Ya, which end are you supposed to rip from?Does it matter?I've been going from the bottom up.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i just grab the sections and pull in oposite directions usually theyre only connected at the very bottom near scalponly time i do anything different is if theyre too connected to rip that way then i work a finger under connecting hairs and pull upi put a ripping poping guide up over there with a vid...-----> the links to right got guides for most thingsif u think we need others let me know

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
I don't think it really matters as long as you can manage to separate them.I pull mine apart in, I think, a manner similar to what you do. (IE: Starting closer to the tips moving toward the scalp) Island Mamma said:
Ya, which end are you supposed to rip from?
Does it matter?
I've been going from the bottom up.
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Yep, thats how I do them to from the tip toward the scalp.I just figure when you comb out knots the best way is to start combing at the bottom and work up, when you try to comb out knots from the scalp toward the tip it intensifies the knots.Same thing I guess, but whatever works eh. GoldenEagle said:
I don't think it really matters as long as you can manage to separate them.

I pull mine apart in, I think, a manner similar to what you do. (IE: Starting closer to the tips moving toward the scalp)

Island Mamma said:
Ya, which end are you supposed to rip from?
Does it matter?
I've been going from the bottom up.
Nicolas Faieta
@nicolas-faieta
14 years ago
17 posts
Thanks for the info :) I have developed a number of those in betweeners now that I have a few fat locks on the back of my head. We still might be freaks though who knows :) Sister Rags said:
Nicholas, I have exactly what you've described...exactly. So I guess it must be pretty common with natural dreads - either that, or we're just a couple of freaks ; )
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form