Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

To cut or not to cut?!

Emily2
@emily2
14 years ago
17 posts
I am struggling.My locks are about 8 years old, and they are so very long and heavy, especially when they are wet.I love them and I have had them for all of my 20s, but they are also becoming a headache and a burden. I can't imagine myself without them, and right now the pros of keeping them outweigh the cons, but lately cutting them has really been on my mind.I just needed to vent and get this off of my chest, because I am really on the fence!
updated by @emily2: 02/03/18 03:38:39PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
why are they so heavy? u didnt use wax did u?i doubt it but if u did dewaxing will helpmine aee well more then twice as long going on 20 years in a couple months..recently let most combine so they wont break off from dragging on the ground so i plan on them growing at least twice as longnothing could ever get me to cut

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Emily2
@emily2
14 years ago
17 posts
no wax here, I also have let mine combine down to 12 (when I started there were about 50)My main concern right now is that I keep having headaches due to the pulling. I just had twin babies and I need all the sleep that I can get, and they are also starting to effect my quality of sleep...What do you do with your hair when you sleep? They are amazing. I can only imagine 20 years!
IllumiKnotty
@illumiknotty
14 years ago
212 posts
my friend that had locks to below her buttox just cut them and now they sit comfortably slightly below her shoulders.
Emily2
@emily2
14 years ago
17 posts
I don't think that I could bring myself to cut them shorter. It is all or nothing for me. I think at some point I will have to start fresh, I am just having trouble deciding if/when it will be worth the devastation that I know I will go through when they are gone.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i hang em over the headboard or off the side of the bedfor headaches gather all your dreads on yop and pull upwards pulling the scalp up will stimulate bloodflow and help headaches

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Emily2
@emily2
14 years ago
17 posts
I also hang them over the end of the bed, and it can kinda hurt sometimes when I move.I will try the pulling upward method.I agree about the liberation thing...and I am still not at the point that my dreads make me feel 'tied down' but It seems to be getting that way more every time my head hurts, and how uncomfortable it is when they are wet. I am a swimmer at that is something that I have had to give up due to the weight and inconvenience but so far the pros are really outweighing the cons...so far.
Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts
There is no reason to have a hairstyle that induces physical suffering... but you could try a dread hawk or crazy mullet, and keep half of them maybe? almost everyone I know with dreads over ten years old either has a beaver tail or a dread mullet.If it were me I would cut them and start a new set immediately. I would keep my old dreads in a shoe box too so they wouldn't get too far.For me a big part of having dreads is the rejection of vanity and discomfort associated with women and their obsessive hair behavior. I think that dreads are meant to be freeing, not restrictive, and it sounds like they are getting a little restrictive. :(good luck with whatever choice you make!
Emily2
@emily2
14 years ago
17 posts
thanks...it is true, beavertails are a part of this life. I did at least get the locks at the nape of my neck to become two locks, but they are certainly big and flat!!Good point about the rejection of vanity. I think that is also a part of why I can't seem to come to terms with ever giving up my locks. I know that when I do, all of a sudden I am going to have to spend SOME time on my hair each day, even if it is really short. Right now I just wrap it up on the top and go.
Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts
Emily said:
thanks...

Good point about the rejection of vanity. I think that is also a part of why I can't seem to come to terms with ever giving up my locks. I know that when I do, all of a sudden I am going to have to spend SOME time on my hair each day, even if it is really short. Right now I just wrap it up on the top and go.
But you can cut and then IMMEDIATLY start re-dreading natural. Don't do anything at all and just wait for your new set of locks to grow in :) It is just as vain in a way to suffer through painful frustrating hair for the sake of not having "normal" hair you have to take care, you know? I mean in the end its about having the hair YOU want, and putting in as much effort as you feel like, and right now it seems like a pixie-cut would be less work then your dreads.again I am not trying to say you should/should not cut, but I would make sure you are not clinging to anything out of fear. <3
updated by @lex: 07/09/15 09:42:09PM
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form