Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Balding?

MountainWillow
@mountainwillow
15 years ago
141 posts
So what exactly causes balding by dreadlocks? I have heard/read this many places on the internet.. Something about something causes balding.. Anyone? Cause you know we would all like to avoid any chances of this.
updated by @mountainwillow: 01/13/15 08:25:10PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
whered u read it gimme examplesthe only thing i could think of is if the baldings from either chemical treatments or pores clogged with wax?dreads can break off if over crochetted twisted palm rolled to death or just over workedbut thats not true baldingbalding can occur in anyone ofcoursedreads are lil more resistent to showing balding if its not advanced since hair loss remains in dreadsbut i guess in general in normal clean dreads balding should be exactly like non dreaded hair except that it wont show as much till its enough to cause whole dreads to be losti have balding in my family, my dad had a bald spot since he was 16 i think, both grandfathers were pretty bald and i think my yiunger brothers developed the same bald spot my dad had..but having dreaded since i was young i show no signs of balding, in fact it seems fuller and thicker all the time

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
MountainWillow
@mountainwillow
15 years ago
141 posts
I cant remember where I have read it now, its been a while- but thought what the heck right, why not just post it out there and see..I believe it was um... in relation to root rubbing or the weight or pulling of the dreads or something about poor root care or something I think I read. Its really been a few months and I guess im not that concerned since I dont remember it.Just figured the forum could use another question.. Ya know- I like to keep ya guys on your feet ;)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
ahh yea root rubbing can surely do iti dunno if it would be permenant dammage or notbut i always advise not to root rub..its totaly unnesacary and does do dammage

--
MountainWillow
@mountainwillow
15 years ago
141 posts
yummm another reason to looooove rosemary
tyler rakowski
@tyler-rakowski
13 years ago
19 posts
ive always been scared of balding with dreads cause itd be like one day boom dread falls off
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

root maintenance interlocking twisting possibly root rubbing

i know last time i replied to this i didnt have as much info but now im sure of it twisting interlocking anything that pulls in the roors way too tight

--
Nicole Binns
@nicole-binns
13 years ago
22 posts
The name of this is 'traction alopecia.' It means: baldness caused by pulling tightly. This can happen if you do anything at all that pulls very tightly on the roots of your hair for a long time. It happens to people in the Sikh religion who wear their hair tied up tightly in a bun on top of their heads, for instance. It happens often to black people who have very tight braids or cornrows.And it could happen to someone with dreadlocks if your locks are made so tightly that they are pulling painfully at the roots. If you actually feel tightness at the roots, all the time, you might be making your locks too tight. If your locks are natural, then the roots will have a couple inches of loose hair that hasn't locked yet, and that's good - that looseness makes the hair flexible and it doesn't pull tightly enough to cause traction alopecia.To prevent it, you have to make sure that you don't pull the hair into an unnatural, strained position where you can feel a lot of tension. If your hair hurts, you need to adjust it somehow so it's looser and so the tension is distributed over more of the hair.The lady with the longest dreadlocks in the world, the lady with the Guinness World Record - I saw her picture and somebody commented that she had some baldness up at the front sides of her head, and I could see it. (I forget which web page this was on.) It was probably traction alopecia. It gives you all these short hairs that won't grow long anymore - they just grow a couple inches and then fall out.I don't want anyone to worry about seeing lots of short hairs on their heads, though. The short hairs are new hairs starting over. I just mean if you see a large patch, usually up at the temples and the top of your head, where large areas of hair won't grow long anymore.You can google 'traction alopecia' and see pictures.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form