Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Common issues people have with the opinions on this site.

Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
Multiple people have mentioned in various ways that many on this site are not 'open' or very receptive to those with a different opinion or do things differently. Examples being the maintainence discussions and the eating habbits discussions. I'd like to remind those people that part of being accepting of others is understanding that people are allowed to have a strong point of view and should be able to state those views openly.These forums are open to diversity and debate, personal opinion is encouraged. Personal attack is not. There is a big difference between saying "Crocheting is stupid" and "You are stupid because you crochet your dreads". One is an opinion, the other is insulting.If you state your opinion and someone wants to hold a debate about that opinion it's your choice to either continue with that debate or not.
updated by @spider-feet: 02/14/15 06:13:13AM
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
^
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
First amendment for me, second amendment is pretty important also. :)
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
Don't worry, I don't claim any of those things. =p Sister Rags said:
Thank you, Spider Feet. It's always killed me when someone tells me about how accepting, loving, caring, forgiving, understanding they are & how everyone else should be the way and THEN the bomb drops: Someone disagrees with said accepting, loving, self-proclaimed saintly person. And the "saint" turns into the nastiest fu*k you'd ever meet. I've seen this interesting phenomenon with a LOT of people who called/call themselves "hippies": Ah, yeah, I am sooo loving...until you don't agree with everything I say.... *BAM!*
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
I have to agree... I'm so happy that someone finally said something regarding both maintenance and eating habits. Part of life's journey is making your own path, not followed one that's been laid down by another. That's the way I look at it. We all have choices, and while some may not be the best, you learn from it, and live with what you have after making said decisions. I heartily believe that it's the only way to learn; I don't think that another person can really grasp the severity of my mistakes and take away the same lessons that I did without living it for themselves (granted, this doesn't apply to all things, but I do believe that this applies to dreads and your lifestyle in general).I was away (and tend to stay away) for the exact reasons that you mentioned. I don't need other people's negative vibes clogging my mind and body..and if that's what I find (be it here or anywhere else) then I'll leave and wait for them to dissipate before coming back. If I come back and things haven't changed much ( save for a few new faces ) then I leave again. I would rather avoid such negativity than to get sucked up into it. Sister Rags said:
Thank you, Spider Feet. It's always killed me when someone tells me about how accepting, loving, caring, forgiving, understanding they are & how everyone else should be the way and THEN the bomb drops: Someone disagrees with said accepting, loving, self-proclaimed saintly person. And the "saint" turns into the nastiest fu*k you'd ever meet. I've seen this interesting phenomenon with a LOT of people who called/call themselves "hippies": Ah, yeah, I am sooo loving...until you don't agree with everything I say.... *BAM!*
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
Do you have to leave the forum to avoid the negative vibes????? That seems really harsh!!! (Not by you, but for you!!!!) I feel bad about that!!! I see a lot of things on here that I don't necessarily agree with, but I don't take it to heart. To each thier own!!! :) So what if somebody palm rolls? So what if somebody eats or doesn't eat meat???? I try to avoid those conversations. I can tell by the title of the forum that I am gonna have an issue with the subject and just surf on by. That is the GREAT thing about an online forum!!! You can avoid whatever you want!!! I hate to see someone feel like they have to avoid the whole site or the majority of the people on here just because of a few different and o.k., maybe STRONG opinions. Can you maybe reconsider?????? I think the majority of people on here really are considerate to other people's lifestyles and opinions. Faelwynn said:
I have to agree... I'm so happy that someone finally said something regarding both maintenance and eating habits. Part of life's journey is making your own path, not followed one that's been laid down by another. That's the way I look at it. We all have choices, and while some may not be the best, you learn from it, and live with what you have after making said decisions. I heartily believe that it's the only way to learn; I don't think that another person can really grasp the severity of my mistakes and take away the same lessons that I did without living it for themselves (granted, this doesn't to all things, but I do believe that this applies to dreads and your lifestyle in general).

I was away (and tend to stay away) for the exact reasons that you mentioned. I don't need other people's negative vibes clogging my mind and body..and if that's what I find (be it here or anywhere else) then I'll leave and wait for them to dissipate before coming back. If I come back and things haven't changed much ( save for a few new faces ) then I leave again. I would rather avoid such negativity than to get sucked up into it.

Sister Rags said:
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
I just write around it, if someone goes out of line with what they say I'll throw in. I know the majority of people here are always pretty nice, but Faelwynn, you know these things tend to arise on all sites, even DLT, I still browse there to but see the same things happen,
Kris D.
@kris-d
14 years ago
21 posts
I was unaware we were even having problems, save for one tiff I saw a few days ago.huh. interesting.
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
I think it all depends on how sensitive you are. I tend to brush those things off. No biggie if somebody disagrees with my opinion. I don't have to talk to them or live with them!!! :)
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
Thats pretty much the point I was trying to make. MiDread said:
I think it all depends on how sensitive you are. I tend to brush those things off. No biggie if somebody disagrees with my opinion. I don't have to talk to them or live with them!!! :)
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form