Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

unhealthy dreads

supahCmami
@supahcmami
14 years ago
4 posts
I'm a new mom of a 10 month old. I basically have not had time to take care of my hair for and it looks it. I'm on the verge of cutting my waist lenghth dreads off!It is very thin at the roots due to the postpartum hair loss hormonal thing (my dreads were thin to begin with) and i'm having trouble joining up the new growth when i can find some time to twist. its ratty at the ends and is brown whereas my roots are black.is there anything I can do to save it? or is it time to say goodbye (my hair grows faster in the summer, but i dont konw if they can make it until then)
updated by @supahcmami: 01/13/15 08:33:12PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
dont twist them too much twisting adds to damage, instead either allow some congoing or encourage it, dreads that are really weak at ther roots slip a bead over 2 dreads so they combine into 1or just stop seperating and fussing and they will on theyre ownyears of twisting probly did more harm then hormones altho it can have an affect for suremy ends are ratty too from dragging on the ground wear and teart etcbut so what..lolid only worry biut ther roots andummm your african? you werent interlocking were u? hope notcan u post a close pic detailed so we can see how bad it is?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yea people who twist tend to way over twist i recomend never twisting again once they hold shape , afterr that theres really no reason to ever twist againnew growth finds its way it needs no help it'll join the dread it wants to or form a new dreadthe problem wasnt that you failed to msaintain but that youve overmaintained a long time, combined with the hair loss from pregnancyyjeuy should recoverbut u may wantto congo the weakest of emi have a microdread incredibbly thin that got to 4 feet and i was starting to worry (noy cause of thinner roots just cause it was so long and so thin) so i let it congo with 3 others so its nice and thick now

--
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
You may not be able to keep the maintained look, but I think natural looking dreads are always better anyway. There is no need to lose them, when your hair starts growing back thicker it'll join into the dreads. Since they are waist length you can keep them slung on your shoulder to keep the weight off of your roots to prevent breakage and whatever pain it may be causing. It may look silly but there are those purses that look kind of like mini-backpacks that you can put your dreads in to keep the weight off for a few months while the hair grows back. The prenatal vitamins are a great idea because everyone I've talked to says it makes their hair grow super fast.
supahCmami
@supahcmami
14 years ago
4 posts
yes i'm African. i'm glad to read that I should just sort of leave them alone. i have no time for my old routine! i'm down with congoing and no ive never interlocked them, but i have knotted some together to force a congo. i'll come back tomorrow with a pic.i'm going to buy a tam, odd huh that someone who has had dreads for this long doesnt have one to rest my scalp. i cant really wear them over my shoulder, the baby pulls on them when they are out. ive worn them braided or in a ponytail forever it seems like (throughout pregnancy too) and the constant pulling has affected them as well i thinki'm so happy i found this site and very pleased with all the responses in such a short time. soaringeagle said:
dont twist them too much twisting adds to damage, instead either allow some congoing or encourage it, dreads that are really weak at ther roots slip a bead over 2 dreads so they combine into 1
or just stop seperating and fussing and they will on theyre own

years of twisting probly did more harm then hormones altho it can have an affect for sure

my ends are ratty too from dragging on the ground wear and teart etc
but so what..lol
id only worry biut ther roots and

ummm your african? you werent interlocking were u? hope not

can u post a close pic detailed so we can see how bad it is?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yea i figured theyd never get that long if u interlockedi had sorta the opposite issue with mine breaking off at the ends all the time (i loose 8 inches to a foot off em all the time) from being stepped on tun over dragging getting caught in axels etc etc etc so i stopped all maintenance entirely for a year and a half to alow alot of congos so when the hair at my scalp reached the ground it'll be much stringermost congos were well established in just a couple months im pretty happy with em in many places as many as 6 became 1 (they were pretty thin)welcome and we are really glad your here too supahCmami said:
yes i'm African. i'm glad to read that I should just sort of leave them alone. i have no time for my old routine! i'm down with congoing and no ive never interlocked them, but i have knotted some together to force a congo. i'll come back tomorrow with a pic.

i'm going to buy a tam, odd huh that someone who has had dreads for this long doesnt have one to rest my scalp. i cant really wear them over my shoulder, the baby pulls on them when they are out. ive worn them braided or in a ponytail forever it seems like (throughout pregnancy too) and the constant pulling has affected them as well i think

i'm so happy i found this site and very pleased with all the responses in such a short time.

soaringeagle said:
dont twist them too much twisting adds to damage, instead either allow some congoing or encourage it, dreads that are really weak at ther roots slip a bead over 2 dreads so they combine into 1
or just stop seperating and fussing and they will on theyre own

years of twisting probly did more harm then hormones altho it can have an affect for sure

my ends are ratty too from dragging on the ground wear and teart etc
but so what..lol
id only worry biut ther roots and

ummm your african? you werent interlocking were u? hope not

can u post a close pic detailed so we can see how bad it is?

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form