Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

the price of well maintained salon dreads

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
a new member was just telling me about a dread in his town who has his dreads "retightened" at a salon every month
he spends 50$ every month to retighten pencil thin dreads (not sure if that meanss interlocking twisting or crochet) hes had his dreads for 7 years ...and doesnt have a car
the grand total spent just on the retightening which ofcourse is totaly unesacary is $4,200
if hed simply skipped the useless retightening he could afford s car

insane

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/14/15 06:41:50AM
K E A Z
@k-e-a-z
14 years ago
58 posts
dang thats true
MountainWillow
@mountainwillow
14 years ago
141 posts
Salons aren't always what they seem. With changing trends, Salon dreads are all the hype right now. I even bought into it after knowing someone who had salon dreads that I once thought were gorgeous. She suggested I see her stylist.I had a salon nearly ruin my dreads with a "dread perm" and then want me to go back for regular tightening (which by the way folks anyone can do it home, as they use known techniques and instead of rubber bands they use thread to tie in the hair). My dread hair is so brittle now from chemicals. You wouldn't know it from my pictures but, I have had to combine and am still slowly combining dreads that are waaay thinner than pencils and about to break off (those dreads are hidden around the larger healthier ones). Literally I have dreads so thin I can count the hairs easily as they only hang by about 12! I have taken hair from my hairbrush and dreaded it into the weaker dreads hoping to feed their weakspots. Doesn't sound great does it? Beware fellow dreads of salon disasters and greed.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
the guy i was helping who told me about this guy had a dread perm last week his skin was on fire itching and burning from the chems he was told not to wash till he got wax (she used some other bunk cause she was out of wax)the woman left the perm crap on 3 times longer thenm recomended becausde "his hair was too healthy" so she purposly was trying to destroy his haorthe "dreads" looked very loosely twisted and held together with gunkthey looked terrible (no offence brother and dont worry we''ll fix u up)we washed him out last night and will see from there wether to let em dread naturaly or twist n ripwillowuntill i started congoing i had 1 dread that was a micro dread 1 milimeter by 2 flattish and that was a congo 2 extremely thin dreads combinedlike u said literaly formed out of just a couple hairsbut because it was healthy it was over 5 feet ling without breaking

--
Pam Pomelo
@pam-pomelo
14 years ago
30 posts
Yeah seriously, that's a ridiculous price. When I was really worried about mine, I was gonna have a guy fix them, but he said he'd have to get rid of them and make completely new ones for 300 euro!!! No way!!
David Del Olmo
@david-del-olmo
14 years ago
7 posts
I tried this jamaican women last year. When i first called she said she would charge $80, but when i got there and told her i wanted thin dreads, like pinky width, she said it would take longer and bumped up the price to $200. I was excited to start so i agreed to pay. As she started, she pulled out synthetic hair and started my "permanent" dreads by glueing the fake hair to mine and twisting it to what looked like dread. I was concerned so i asked why she was using synthetic hair, her response "this is how everyone does it, even blacks". I thought she knew what was up since she was jamaican, but i was totally wrong. After 7 hours and her bumping up the price another $50, i went home and started looking up info on temporary dreads. Turns out her "permanent" dreads were temporary, but she made them permanent by using glue. Anyway it took my about a month to find the time to comb it out (with school and all), fortunately i got it all out! and i have started a new set. What was ridiculous is that she said i would have to go back to her every month for an $80 maintenance. First time i had ever been scammed.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yikessalons are such scams

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
oh man cakll him send him here to our site the salon will screw him up!!dreeading hair u gotta save him from such a bad mistakewith perfect f

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
and who knows how badly they;ll mess him up yooive seen them do dread perms oh hair that dreaded overnightand use glue to blunt endsi hsave never once heard of a good salon dread story..not 1 satisfied customer..

--
Olivia Alger
@olivia-alger
11 years ago
16 posts

yikes, this discussion has been helpful. I know some dreadheads who go to salons to get their dreads re-tightened and redone. I was even considering maybe going myself...but i'm gathering here that everything they will do i can do at home, right?

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form