Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Cultural Appropriation blah blah blah

Jessie-Rose
@jessierose
4 years ago
16 posts

Oy, I could use a little help here for anyone who is bored or has some extra time/energy to spare.  I was kindly keeping this YouTube thread to myself since it wasn't that big of deal and we've all heard it before, but now I'm getting called a racist and illiterate soo..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSArSfj1424&lc=Ugweh3i816ZrnmTPCFB4AaABAg

It's the first comment that I'm talking about, the one with almost 80 replies that says "Highlighted Comment."  

There are other threads on that video that I'm involved in, but they all seem to be about the same. 

I hope everyone is doing well, staying safe and sane! The boards have kind of dried up lately I've noticed, so I'm not sure if anyone is even going to see this let alone expend the energy of going through all of that.  But I figured it wouldn't hurt anything to throw a link out.

See ya!

--
x-Jessie

updated by @jessierose: 07/25/20 08:21:35PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
4 years ago
29,639 posts

race has nothing to do with cultural appropriation

if its  dread related i guarantee the 1 claiming appropriation has salon dreads wich are cultural appropriation

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jessie-Rose
@jessierose
4 years ago
16 posts

Apparently when "white people" have "locs", they aren't "locs", they are "just matted hair" and we are incorrectly stealing an African hairstyle.🤦

I ended up on one of the threads just saying that if they *are* "real" dreads, then the fact that it happens naturally should be proof that anyone has a right to wear them.

And if they aren't "real" dreads, then they're something else entirely so it shouldn't bother them, and the conversation is irrelevant and flawed from the start. Nobody has responded to that. I'm just racist, I guess.🤷

--
x-Jessie

updated by @jessierose: 07/25/20 01:08:24AM
Jessie-Rose
@jessierose
4 years ago
16 posts
Also, let me just say, obviously I know this isn't a "white people site" or something gross like that. I just know that there are a ton of different, open minded people here that generally feel dreadlocks can be worn by anyone, not just a specific race/culture.

... reread my post and it seemed a bit off, so I felt the need to add this in. 🤐

--
x-Jessie
Peaceful_Passer
@peaceful-passer
4 years ago
233 posts

Hair left to its own devices will dread. First known dreads were on monks in Asian. Egyptians wore dreads. Vikings wore dreads.

My sister has told me the same... so when a person with kinky hair straightens it, what is that? - There’s a history to African hair styles stemming from old ways...  Respect is a two way street. Dignity and self love go further and are not dependent on anyone but ourselves.

ITS HAIR AND HAIR HOLDS ENERGY. HAIR IS AN EXTENSION OF OUR NERVOUS SYSTEM AND BY KEEPING IT WE CAN HOLD GREATER VIBRATIONS AND EXPAND.

Love without discrimination is the only answer ✌️❤️

updated by @peaceful-passer: 07/28/20 04:49:23PM
DazeyDementia
@dazeydementia
4 years ago
12 posts
The first time I had locks, I was a senior in high school, they were looping by the time I was in college. I am Greek and Italian, yet i have natural strawberry blonde hair.
There wasn't a month that would go by where my choice in hair style was challenged by a black man in my small community. Men would speak up before women would. "You too white for that hair." My most common response "I'm Greek, the greeks had locks too. Who do you think Medusa was? They weren't snakes, they were locks!"
I've since moved out of Illinois and into South Dakota, where instead of black people wishing they were gangstas from chicago, we have Afrikaans and Natives. I love the dresses the women wear, the men are kinder and more open minded. I feel like the minority with my paler skin honestly. It doesnt bother me, I will continue to let my hair lock because I stopped trying to fear judgement. (I was the only goth girl in 6-8th grade amongst a school full of preppy catholics) I have no hate, I'm more angry this once beautiful land was taken from these spiritual, ostracized Natives. (What would have America been if Christopher Columbus decided to stay where he was at?) All in all, on youtube you can find Afrikaan men and women saying locks are for everyone. It's the African Americans who wanna try and be selfish about how "dreads ain't for white people" and what's "culturally appropriate" I truly believe Afrikaans are about unity and Americans are a nation divided against itself. Do what your mind body and soul need. Visit your energy worker, drink tea, meditate and be happy with yourself. Love the person you see in the mirror, if you dont fast, and meditation work wonders.
What does bother most Afrikaans (and even me) is people who have "fashion dreads". Those are the locks that are manicured, dyed or faux hair locks installed. I know there is a big community with CyberGoths with the faux dreads, same with nu age hippies. It's fake hair and Not permanent; it's a fashion.
I hope this helps. Theres always 2 perspectives. Some disagree with "white people having dreads" some are ok with it. But you arent here to people please everyone and convince em why your right. Fuck em! If your a "white girl" with locks then be happy with that, if that's how you feel confident the most.

(Notice, I dont use the word dreads, unless referring to a phrase used differently. There is nothing dreadful about locking our hair. Even on my YouTube channel, by week 3 I stopped saying dreadlock.)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
4 years ago
29,639 posts
Also you spell locks correctly the story of Medusa the thing was she was punished for being raped by Zeus the victim was often punished for the rape so our punishment was to always turn men to Stone if they looked at her. Now please put that into perspective into the way they spoke back then turn to Stone where mean got hard. So sure power was the turn people on and asot to weaponize that power even if it meant her death so who is basically saying that should be always sought after to be sexualized and abused

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 1

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form