Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Buildup inside my dreads - how to get rid of that?

Walt Dismay
@walt-dismay
4 years ago
2 posts

Hello everybody

I'm new here so cheers. Hope y'all feeling fine and it's nice to meet you :) I'm not native english, so excuse some mistakes please.

Soo, I think my problem had been written about already somewhere on this page. But I couldn't really find a pleasing answer to my situation, so I figured I might just ask. I hope you don't mind, if worst case this question gets boring or something...

Real quick about my dreads: I've been growing them for about 2.5 years now. In the begining I used to crochet them, but they got way to stiff (like I can poke out an eye with them and might need a weapon license) and so I switched to just rubbing the root on my sculp until it knots up and then put it together with a rubber band. I know, I heard a lot of bad things about rubber bands, but I realised that they fall out by themselfes about a week in. I just became some soft of rubber band dispenser because I lose them everywhere :P

Anyways, my dreads became smooth and most importantly bendy ever since I startet just rubbing them instead of crocheting. However, I cut out about one third of my dreads about a couple of weeks ago - they became so heavy! Now inside my dreads you can see crazy build up; white, yellow, green even blackish sticky stuff. My dreads might as well just stick together because of that... I know that buildup is inevitable, but I wouldn't say like that. On some places throughout the dread it's yellow and on some places its black and like chewing gum. And I can't seem to wash it out. Have a look yourself in the pics.

I don't know what that is and how to get rid of it. I have never really used a shampoo with silicone in it and try to wash it out as good as possible.

thanks a lot to everybody who has a tipp or idea, what's going on.

Cheers

Martin

IMG_20200326_010228.jpg

IMG_20200326_010723.jpg

IMG_20200326_010545.jpg

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
4 years ago
29,640 posts

1st off DO NOT RUB OR USE RUBER BANDS youyr pulling 1/2 the hair iout of the scalp anfd the rubber bands themselves could be 1/2 the buildup! melting into a sticky icky goo you will NEVER get out, nothing can remove rubber band gunk from dreads

now please give the full ingredient list of the shampoo

also do you wear anything covering them at night

alot of what you see is normal (the fix for its only available in usa right now, but you maybe can find something similar locally)

alots lint from blankets sweaters pillowcases etc.

some most likely is your shampoo..and those evil evil rubber bands

yet more that yiou see as 'residue' might just be the hundreds of roots pulled out with the little skin tag still attached.

with dreads you should ONLY wash wait and separate.. thats from day 1 on, but certainly  if you start the3m mannualy it goes for from week 1 on the fact your rubbing and using bands still 2 years in is a huge problem

just stop it all.. leave them alone! they will knot up on their own by doing nithing at all

in fact the bakds are PREVENTING THEM FROM LOCKING ON THEIR OWN

as soon as you remove them andleave them off youll feel a great sense of relief andliveration and your dreads will start to just dread on their own

ok post the shampoos full ingredient list please

also i assume wax was never used, nit even once/

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Walt Dismay
@walt-dismay
4 years ago
2 posts

@soaring-eagle hi @soaring-eagle thanks for replying so fast!

Well, I heard that rubber bands cause build up before, but in my experience they just sort of fall out after a couple of days, when they get weak. I startet using them because of my job, where I'm around customers and supposed to look somewhat neat. I mostly use them on the root, but not to close to it, so it doesn't pull on the hair (like, constantly pulling on the hair strings - then they obviously have to fall out..) Also, my roots never knottet up by themselfs, even before I used any rubber bands (and the crochet hook realllly did a bad thing on my scalp!).

But yeah, I mean I can give it a shot, and see how they knot up by themselfs :) I'm pretty confident however, that the buildup isn't from the bands, since they're outside of the dreads, right? ;)

My shampoo has the ingredients you can see in the picture. It's REALY good you pointed it out. I was thinking, it's as natural as it gets (friend recomended it) but it seems it's full of chemicals... At least without parabenes or silicones, which I beliefe could create these buildups. Before I started using this shampoo, I'd been using one of dollylocks, I guess the one with tea tree oil as well. Ingredients there are the following:
Distilled Spring water, saponified coconut oil, olive oil, castor oil, almond oil, grapefruit seed extract, with: tea tree and peppermint essential oils, or peppermint and rosemary essential oils or coconut and lime essential oils.

Now that looks more organic to me and I'm considering switching again. It's just hard getting your hands on these bottles in Switzerland ;) Any idea what I could use as a temporary solution?

In concern of wearing stuff, well, not more then others I guess. Meaning, the occasional hat, or cap. At night I just put the dreads at the top end of the bed on the pillow.

I do a "deep cleaning" once every couple of months with dish soap. So I soak them and squeez the liquid until the water stops looking dirty. I made the experience, that that really helped getting the dreads lighter, which I interpreted as cleaner (less dirt less weight). I'm just not sure anymore, if that really helps in the longrun other than drying the hair out. What do you think?

Thanks a lot you've been a great help

Cheers

OOooh and hell no no wax ever to sticky and doesn't get out at all. Did a friend on his dreads once and the wax was still in ther 8 months later :O

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
4 years ago
29,640 posts

im no expert but several of those ingredients seem potentialy residue makers

i recommend www.dreadlockshampoo.com and for deep cleanse they have a charcoal based 1 that even removes lint

but its no longer available oversaes

if you dont have hard water dr bronners (bars safter slightly in somewhat hard water liquiid should be diluted at least 12 times more water then soap...or more)

but in hard water it causes bad residues

weak runberbands that break can leave chunks inside to dry rot

reasons not to use bands

1 they constrict causing weak spots

2 in just days knots form around them  removing then undoes knots

3 they can break into chunks leavingpeicesinside

4 in just aweek they can be completely swallowed and disapear

5 theycan 'melt'' inti a sticky icky gunk you will neverget out

theres 12 in total cant think of the rest right now

if you have religious freedom they cannot makeyou keep themneat

and  rubber bands in your hair looks way sillier then having just loose hairs

besides neat is clean it is not the absense of loose hairs or the balding pushed by salons

here we have an employees rights law

its in the featured discussions

you most likely have similsar there however many are not aeware and therefor most give up their rights without knowing it

actualy by maintaining them you have given up the right to defend weaering them and the bodss can say cut and yioud havge to cut

if you maintain that they are a right, they cannot make you cover or maintain ..or cut

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form