Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread head! Matts and separating.

KatatoniK
@katatonik
5 years ago
43 posts

Ok, so I'm sure I'm not the first person to post/ask this but, what's the easiest way to maintain the back of my head? They're constantly matted at the roots and separating them is getting more difficult and painful. I have to separate them almost daily to keep them from congoing into a big matted mess at the root. Its getting a little nuts lol I won't lie, with my dandruff and the ever increasing loose hairs everywhere I've thought about brushing them out but I'm invested! I want my dreads dang it! Lol I'm sure we've all thought about it at least once at the beginning. I've found that a simple acv rinse once a month to be very helpful to control my dandruff and its helping them along nicely as well. Ive been using a light spritz of sea salt and aloe spray on a few to help them along as well (a few almost completely came undone at the nape of my neck) and they're doing better now.. My main issue now is the matting at the back of my head. Any tips? Thanks in advance 😁 first pic is one day in and last pic is a few days ago, 6 weeks in. 

20190708_195942-1.jpg
20190708_195942-1.jpg  •  442KB

20190607_072515.jpg
20190607_072515.jpg  •  472KB

20190614_175108.jpg
20190614_175108.jpg  •  611KB

20190712_175438.jpg
20190712_175438.jpg  •  603KB

KatatoniK
@katatonik
5 years ago
43 posts
Ok lol those pics uploaded out of order haha first pic is most recent, second is about two weeks ago. Third is one day in. Fourth is about a week or so in and the last pic is last week I believe lol
Peaceful_Passer
@peaceful-passer
5 years ago
233 posts

I used a sea salt spray before, it made my head very flaky like... maybe consider leaving it?

I quit using shampoos 5 years ago, long before my dreads, because of dander issues. Once i quit and made it through the overly oiled phase I saw my dander vanish. The acv wash has served me well, very diluted 1:3 or 1:4. The only time I struggle with dander is when I use something different on my head! Any shampoos, dread or not, give me dander. I used my rosemary tea and guess what, my scalp itches and I have dander lol wahh! I guess I'll have to rinse well instead of leaving it in and maybe not even use it at all.

Separate and let it happen. My back dreads lock differently than the front and tops, it just is what it is :) Think of it this way, next year you won't be worried about it

updated by @peaceful-passer: 07/18/19 11:41:37AM
KatatoniK
@katatonik
5 years ago
43 posts
peaceful lol thanks! That's my mentality exactly! Just keep looking and the big picture and try to focus on the end game only! The rest will fall into place! Lol thanks again for helpful advice and a friendly ear ☺❤ much love
KatatoniK
@katatonik
5 years ago
43 posts
I'm having more issues now! Ugh lol now when I separate I'm loosing volume at the root. The hairs are tearing and its gotten thin at the roots and they are not doing anything but matting flat. Should I maybe do a gentle twist and backcomb a little to help them and keep them from being so nuts? Help!
Peaceful_Passer
@peaceful-passer
5 years ago
233 posts
Just leave them, they'll find their way.

How months are you at now?

I was wondering where you were and poof there you are. Wyrd haha
KatatoniK
@katatonik
5 years ago
43 posts
I'm almost 2 months in
DreadJay
@dreadjay
5 years ago
51 posts

What did you do to start them? That's an incredible speed. I'm 8 months in and mine are only just starting to resemble dreadlocks. Still got lots of loose hairs and unlocked hair.

KatatoniK
@katatonik
4 years ago
43 posts
Dreadjay I did twist and rip lol ty :) im loving the journey. My hair is coarse and wavy/curly to begin with and always wanted to dread on its own so thats prob why mine seem to be locking "faster" but its also lumping, bumping and zig-zagging like crazy ad well lol just be patient hun. Its a process and a lifestyle, not just a hair-do :) much love and hippy stuff
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form