Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Am I doing something wrong?

AquaGuy
@aquaguy
5 years ago
62 posts

I’ve just been thinking about how long it has taken for my hair to even begin to dreadlock. All of the timelines I’ve watched on YouTube or seen on here see noticible results in about 6 months and it has been almost a year, give or take a month, and I literally still don’t have any even beginning to form on the back of my head. I sleep mostly on my back and I have the least on the back, actually none at all. You can kind of see them at the sides, from the photos in my other posts from a while ago, and I have had 0 change since then. 

I keep trying to be patient, telling myself how everyone’s hair dreads at different rates and it’ll dread when it dreads and stuff, but I’m just curious why. I do have really thick hair, and curly, and hair which can get matted and tangled in just one day of not combing, which I thought had a good chance of dreading compared to other hair styles (except afro hair). 

I use salt water daily sprayed on my hair, I wash regularly with salt added to the shampoo. I wanted to buy some dreadlock shampoo from the store advertised on this website but I looked at the process to ship to the U.K. and I didn’t feel comfortable spending so much. I would buy it if I lived in the US. 

I have a question now I’ve rambled, can pulling your top off roughly over your head unknot your hair? As soon as it grew long enough, it really started to hurt my hair as I pullee it over my head. I feel like it pulls at the knots and locs, and I feel like it might be constantly undoing any forming dreadlocks. Or am I just being stupid? 

✌️ 

--
Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

Choose love over hate.

World peace is possible, give peace a chance.

updated by @aquaguy: 05/17/19 12:41:55PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,640 posts

it could be, i tend to wear things with a wide open neck hole

wat are yu sleeping on, what are you washing with

the salts overkill by a huge ammount weekly is plenty

im surprised its not   so dry its breaking

how longs your hair again?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
AquaGuy
@aquaguy
5 years ago
62 posts

To be honest, my hair is far from dry and actually gets grays quite quickly after washing. Not sure if I’m not using enough shampoo or what. And okay, I’ll stop using the salt spray. 

I just sleep on a regular cotton pillow, I thought of covering it in wool but didn’t want it go against my ethics for the sake of possibly speeding up the dreadlocks.

My hair just reaches my shoulders now although if I didn’t have such curly hair it would appear much longer, possibly even just past my shoulders.

--

Choose love over hate.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,640 posts

thats what i thught. just a lil more growth will help

by grays you meant greasy?

over use of alt might make the hair rebel and overproduce oils ..going into survival mode

i assume your vegan then?

vicki said she used a microiber pilowcase and it made hers dread up way faster

you dont wear hats i assume//  can yu try shirts with alot bigger neck holes/

--
AquaGuy
@aquaguy
5 years ago
62 posts

Haha, yeah I mean greasy. Stupid autocorrect.

Yep. Been vegan for a few years. Are you vegan or anything? 

And with work I wear a polo shirt so can’t really wear any bigger necked tops. 

--

Choose love over hate.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,640 posts

38-39 or so years vegatarian

slowly eating a lil more vegan a lil more often

but been vegatarian most f my life since a young teen ..aint no going back

--
AquaGuy
@aquaguy
5 years ago
62 posts

So, I think I might be doing something I’m not aware of to the back of my hair because I recently combed out the left side of my hair (last month) because of it becoming one massive mat and it has already to visibly knot and form early dreadlocks and yet still no progress with the back... 

And being vegetarian that long is cool by the way. Not a lot of people stick to non-meat diets for more than a few years I’ve found.

--

Choose love over hate.

Peaceful_Passer
@peaceful-passer
5 years ago
233 posts
I'd stop the shampoos and whatever else you're using for at least a month to allow the scalp and oils to rebalance then only very modestly use anything after that every few weeks (or stop all together and use natural cleansers instead).

Were you separating anything? If you had 1 big mat that's a sign of not enough separating. It's a delicate balance between separating and undreading in the early days.

Such patience you have!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,640 posts

i dunno about that i have many freinds in their 60s who were vegatarian since birth.

--
PoopiePants
@poopiepants
5 years ago
81 posts

@aquaguy it took me around 4 years to get my first knot from a bald head. Don't be discouraged as you've already had a dream you sadly combed out. That's one thing about Freeforming, if you want them to form nicely, you gotta stay on top of what hair you allow to stick to the seed(the first tiny knots you notice. As long as you're using a residue-free shampoo your hair will eventually grow into something. My head still has a lot of loose hair, but I absolutely love what my head has become. It was 2010 when I last shaved head. Or brushed hair.

updated by @poopiepants: 05/26/19 10:24:07PM
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form