Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

white oily buildup

SpringDays
@springdays
5 years ago
4 posts

New here, sorry if this isnt the right place to ask.

I started dreading a couple months ago now, totally free form. unfortunately ive noticed that some of my "locs" have this white oily/greasy buildup in them and ive noticed a couple clumps around the roots of a couple..  Ive narrowed it down to 2 possibilities:

When i first decided to dread I began using using soap from this website (Patchouli bar soap) around this time i also changed jobs and ended up working at a fast food place. Probably a week or so later i ended up pulling my "locs" apart to find that they were only half locs, half clumps of greasy,oily white stuff. Its been about a month since then and i've stopped using the shampoo just incase and have just opted to rinse with water until i can figure out what is going on.

Any ideas? Ive since been squishing some of my locs in my fingers to see if any of the residue is left on my fingers and it seems out for the most part but I don't know. I also have taken my rubber bands out recently and found that where the rubber band was on the base of some of them there is a white ring of residue, but there is none left from teh rubber bands I had on the tips?

Could it be grease from work? residue still left from the soap? Maybe just clumps of oil and skin from my scalp? Ive attached some not-so-great pictures so maybe you can see exactly what im talking about.

20190427_192347.jpg
20190427_192347.jpg  •  2.1MB

20190427_192314.jpg
20190427_192314.jpg  •  2.4MB

20190427_192333.jpg
20190427_192333.jpg  •  1.9MB

updated by @springdays: 04/27/19 08:08:27PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,640 posts

ok 1st you never should have had rubber bands in them..ever..not for a single day!

nw what was the shammpoo i see no link

post the ingredients

your hair looks african textured, ..is it?   your not as likely to have sebum buildup issues if so

water rinsing wont get them clean, but if the soap was a castile soap..and you had hard water, it would easily leave an oily even waxy builduup

you said you freeformed..but also said you used rubber bands so these 2  things contradict.. so i gotta be certain..no wax or gel or anything was ever used right?

most around here swear theres no better shampoo then www.dreadlockshampoo.com  especially in hard waer  youd want liquid for young non african dreads bars for matue dreads and african all stages 9liquid would dry out african hair types too much0 

could any of it be lint/?

how long were he rubber bands in..were all accounted for they ca cause dozens of severe issues..including melting into a sticky goo inside the dread that nothing would ever get out

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
5 years ago
414 posts
When he said about using shampoo from this website I think he means www.dreadlockshampoo.com which is linked from this website.

I could be wrong but that's how it came off to me.

--
I'm on Twitter @FemalePheromone
and Instagram @FemalePheromones
Dre
@dre
5 years ago
12 posts

That's also what it sounded to me, I had something similar to this on my previous set of dreads but i think it was dead skin or something of the like, Fair warning dilute dr bronners heavily, I always took the warning like mehhh i'll just put it in my hair and the water will dilute it, No don't do this it dried the hell out of my head and it was not good...

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,640 posts

if dreadlockshampoo i couldn't make it cause residue no matter how i tried so i  would guess sebum or lint

--
SpringDays
@springdays
5 years ago
4 posts
Sorry i guess i should uave clarified. I started out freeform and i ended up pulling them apart and resetting; thats when the bands were put in. No other products whatsoever.

And yes when i said soap from this site i meant dreadlocksshampoo.com sorry if that was unclear.

Youre right Bout my hair being african ,and the bands were only in for abouy a month and all accounted for. I def disnt leave them in long to become a goey mess. The gunk was in my hair before they were even put in.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,640 posts

is it sticky feeling

its probly lint

--
SpringDays
@springdays
5 years ago
4 posts
Its more greasy/oily not so much sticky
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,640 posts

sebum then

vicki that makes dreadlockshampo i think is putting out a sebum control shampoo soon, email her and ask her about it

--
SpringDays
@springdays
5 years ago
4 posts
That would explain why its closer to my scalp i guess, but isnt sebum yellow? And i never had issues with it clumping in my hair when i had an afro
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form