dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Quick question about maintenance.

Kaepora
@kaepora
5 years ago
11 posts

Heyyo I'm new here. 👋

I've read through so many posts and still have questions so I figured I'd ask my own lol. This is my 4th set of dreads, and in the past I've always made mistakes so this time I just want to be sure I'm doing things how I should. My goal is to have them form as naturally as possible from this point. I've backcombed and palmrolled occasionally after the starting point. My question is should I keep palmrolling or would I be better off not doing that? I had some that were getting a lightening bolt effect to them and after I washed and palmrolled once they we're dry, they lost all that. I know they come a little undone after washing, but I just don't want to hinder the natural process and want them to do their own thing. Any advice is appreciated! 

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,639 posts

the lightening bolt effects looping looping is essential to ddreading. palm rolling does nothing helpful whatsoever, at least that lasts more then a couple hours or couple days.  only if its done excessively dos it have a more lasting effect,a along with friction damage and potentially weak spots

the loops are such a wonderful part of dreading its a beautiful fun stage, thats where thy are developing personality

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kaepora
@kaepora
5 years ago
11 posts
Thank you! Im definitely going to give up on the palm rolling. Not only is it super time consuming but you're absolutely right that it does nothing helpful lol. I'm excited to see more of the looping in time, it's so awesome to watch them form like that.😀
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,639 posts

dreadng should be the opposite of time consuming it should be time freeing

--
Kaepora
@kaepora
5 years ago
11 posts
Exactly! That's one of the main reasons I've wanted them. It's so liberating to let my hair be free.
I've always been someone who absolutely hates brushing my hair and it would take me so long when I finally did do it. I just reached a point where I felt like I didn't need to do it anymore and I love it!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,639 posts

last time i  remember having a comb was maybe 9th grade

late 70's early 80s when seemed everyone in highschool had pretty much the same kinda comb sticking 1/2 way out of their back pockets like it was a fashion accessory   those weere weird times

--
Kaepora
@kaepora
5 years ago
11 posts
Lol! I can imagine that would have been a weird time. 😂 There was lots of big hairstyles during those years.
Your dreadlocks have been a huge inspiration to me for yearrrrs. I just love them.
Eretoryi
@eretoryi
5 years ago
6 posts
I agree, I always hated brushing my hair! When I realized that dreads were not exclusive to people in movies or of different hair types I became obsessed with the idea of having them.
I’ve had one set before but I can’t imagine having gone through four dread journeys already. That’s a lot of experience!
Kaepora
@kaepora
5 years ago
11 posts
It's been over the course of 13 years lol. Ive always loved them. When I was younger many mistakes were made and I went about it all wrong. But I learned from those mistakes! Then finally I decided to just let it grow quite a bit for a few years, didn't get trims or anything so because of that it knots up really easily. 😂
This time they're here to stay. It sucks brushing them out so I've just fully committed.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,639 posts

i lost 1 set of dreads before this so the dauy i found my 1st dread again i already knew the only trims it ever got was from wearing off rom dragging on the ground..who knew they didn't wear off and just dragged farther and farther behind you

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form