Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Friend's opinion

Theodora Stella
@theodora-stella
5 years ago
14 posts

Hi everyone! I hope you are fine! So I have told no one about me dreading my hair, but a friend perhaps noticed that it is starting to section itself and asked me if I am (dreading). He then proceeded to say that a friend of his had her dreadlocks "made" by the crochet method accompanied by wax. The point is that he is negative towards dreads in general, perhaps due to his friend's experience (her dreads looked and smelled kind of bad he clarified), and said that I am making a mistake by dreading my hair. I specified that mine are different but he wouldn't listen. My brother is firmly against dreads as well and won't miss a chance to remind me.  I won't say that this doesn't affect me in any way. I just wish people were more accepting. Anyway sorry for the rant. I would love to hear your opinions! 

FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
5 years ago
414 posts
Who gives a fuck?

--
I'm on Twitter @FemalePheromone
and Instagram @FemalePheromones
FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
5 years ago
414 posts
That's not aimed at you as in no one cares what you're saying.

What I mean is you really shouldn't care what other people think of you.

Do what you want because you want to. Fuck everyone else. You'll be a lot happier.

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,640 posts

very few people are negative about it but they are aggressively negative.. however you'll also get a whole lotta support. the thing is.. who do you let affect you?  i'll give ya a example. years ago there was a post on another site 'am i ugly' with a photo, over 1000 people replied no your not, several girls hit on him, a few gave styling tips or  ways to build confidence and exactly 1 person said 'yes yr ugly the ugliest person i ever saw'

out of the over 1000 replies and the 1 single negative reply was the only 1 he responded to..or even seemed to read..

point is you can amplify the positive or negative simply by who you let affect you. ..for that kid, that 1 voice in the crowd cemented in the idea that he was ugly.

your family and freinds opinions weigh on you more then strangers.  and the fact is your family and freinds tend to be the most negative. not because they hold the stronget opinions on the subject.. but because of proximity.. how you reflect on them.."people will think im a druggie cause i'm hanging out with you' type mentality.

why should they care abou what you do to your hair unless they mistakenly believe it will affect their lives as well..

another story, my mom for 15 years never once talked to me without mentioning cutting my hair. i never could look her way and make eye contact without her fingers automatically making scissor motions..

i constantly got the im embarrassed to be seen with you so was excluded from everything..

untill

we went xmass shopping together 1 year, i tend to move faster then others so the were walking behind me not with me .. and saw like 100 people exclaim "i love your hair' as the walked by.. then a group of 15 conservative looking grey haired old women surrounded me saying they never saw anything so beautiful and wanting to touch it

from that day on my mom never mentioned cutting again, i got a tam for xmass that year. and she started actualy sending articles about how damaging discrimination against dreads was!  literally my biggest critic was changed in an hour by simply seeing it in a new light..as a matter of pride not embarrassment.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Duskwood
@duskwood
5 years ago
45 posts

That's a great story Soaring Eagle! :) I'm happy for you.

@theodora-stella I know it can be hard to be who you want to be but from my own personal experience I know that when I do what I truly want to do and dress the way I do and in this case grow my hair the way I want to; I feel happy. Even when other people don't agree. My dad is a racist bigot, he really won't like me with dreadlocks. My brother says it will make me look like a typical vegan hippy activist. Of course I care about what they say, but I try my best not to let it influence my happiness because in the long run, I know what I want and there's nothing wrong with that :) So prove your friend wrong, with beautiful natural dreadlocks that probably smell great!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,640 posts

whats wrong with looking like a vegan activists/  btw  most vegan activists look like everyone else.. except not as fat or unhealthy.

an so true after cutting my 1st set due to pressure from negative people ..i was mor e miserable then at any other time of my life

and regrowing my hair i was happy again (despite just months before endig up in a wheelchair)

if you can;'t really be yourself how can you ever be happy

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Theodora Stella
@theodora-stella
5 years ago
14 posts

FemalePheromones: That's not aimed at you as in no one cares what you're saying. What I mean is you really shouldn't care what other people think of you. Do what you want because you want to. Fuck everyone else. You'll be a lot happier.

Thank you very much FemalePheromones for the encouragement!!!

FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
5 years ago
414 posts
No problem.

The less of a fuck you give, the happier you'll be.

--
Theodora Stella
@theodora-stella
5 years ago
14 posts

☮ soaring eagle ॐ:

very few people are negative about it but they are aggressively negative.. however you'll also get a whole lotta support. the thing is.. who do you let affect you?  i'll give ya a example. years ago there was a post on another site 'am i ugly' with a photo, over 1000 people replied no your not, several girls hit on him, a few gave styling tips or  ways to build confidence and exactly 1 person said 'yes yr ugly the ugliest person i ever saw'

out of the over 1000 replies and the 1 single negative reply was the only 1 he responded to..or even seemed to read..

point is you can amplify the positive or negative simply by who you let affect you. ..for that kid, that 1 voice in the crowd cemented in the idea that he was ugly.

your family and freinds opinions weigh on you more then strangers.  and the fact is your family and freinds tend to be the most negative. not because they hold the stronget opinions on the subject.. but because of proximity.. how you reflect on them.."people will think im a druggie cause i'm hanging out with you' type mentality.

why should they care abou what you do to your hair unless they mistakenly believe it will affect their lives as well..

another story, my mom for 15 years never once talked to me without mentioning cutting my hair. i never could look her way and make eye contact without her fingers automatically making scissor motions..

i constantly got the im embarrassed to be seen with you so was excluded from everything..

untill

we went xmass shopping together 1 year, i tend to move faster then others so the were walking behind me not with me .. and saw like 100 people exclaim "i love your hair' as the walked by.. then a group of 15 conservative looking grey haired old women surrounded me saying they never saw anything so beautiful and wanting to touch it

from that day on my mom never mentioned cutting again, i got a tam for xmass that year. and she started actualy sending articles about how damaging discrimination against dreads was!  literally my biggest critic was changed in an hour by simply seeing it in a new light..as a matter of pride not embarrassment.

You are right soaring eagle!!! Thank you for the kind words and your story! I just am the kind of person that never wanted to disappoint my family, but now I see that this is something that I really want to do and won't affect them in my opinion. Cheers!

Theodora Stella
@theodora-stella
5 years ago
14 posts

☮ soaring eagle ॐ:

whats wrong with looking like a vegan activists/  btw  most vegan activists look like everyone else.. except not as fat or unhealthy.

an so true after cutting my 1st set due to pressure from negative people ..i was mor e miserable then at any other time of my life

and regrowing my hair i was happy again (despite just months before endig up in a wheelchair)

if you can;'t really be yourself how can you ever be happy

Nothing at all, I really admire activists and hope one day to contribute too to a higher cause!!! Thanks for inspiring me, God bless!!!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form