Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Protecting Dreads While Working

Hunter.Crow
@huntercrow
6 years ago
29 posts

So I am about to start doing conservation work in the Grand Canyon, and this is very dirty work. I will be tent camping for nine days at a time, and will likely not have access to showering facilities. I want to make sure my dreads are protected as much as possible, while also still being able to develop and mature. I have a plethora of head scarves known as "Buffs" which I have used to keep my hair back since way before I got dreads. I've been doing construction work in between conservation seasons and have tucked my dreads into the buffs and worn hats over that. I'm afraid this is too restrictive, and may not even be doing that great a job of protecting my hair anyway, as dirt and particles can easily get through the fabric of a Buff
Are there any tams that would do a good job of keeping out small particulate such as dust? Also, do tams fit well on the head? I need something that will stay on even if I am swinging a pickax at full force. I've checked etsy for tams, are there any better places to check for what I'm looking for? Thanks again guys, any info would be appreciated.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

awesome job well i'll tell ya i spend alotta time in the wilderness with mine dragging inthe mud, getting so caked in mud they are 3 times the thickness ..   i'll demuddify in a muddy river  when i can and  then after  couple weeks in the woods just wash em real good..  ive never had a problem with this never had to keep dirt out id just wash it out  when i get back to civilization most tams will keep bifg stuff out but nt dust   if its satin or silk lined it might the motion of swingin that pickaxe will help em dread    i dont think canyon dusts gonna hurt ya much as long as you wash   as often as your able

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Hunter.Crow
@huntercrow
6 years ago
29 posts
Nice! I keep wondering if I am being too paranoid about my dreads. I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to them getting dirty and have avoided things I otherwise wouldn't because of that. Last month I was hiking through some mountains and my girlfriend found this awesome stream and was laying in it but I wouldn't because I was afraid of getting dirt and rocks in my hair. I used to be really paranoid about them getting wet but that has passed.
I'll just let them fly in the wind then, that's what I prefer to do. I didn't let my hair dread up just to wrap it up under a hat.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

we had a member with ankle length hair and something like 18 cats when she started dreading she purposely dreaded her cats fur into them

the only time mine get really dirty is at a rainbow gathering, and for you in the grand canyon i always figure if some pine needles or whatever get stuck in them  thats a lil peice of being there i'll cary with me forevrr

mine are always dragging on te ground ofcourse  but never seems to get them all that dirty just a lil lint sometimes from a carpet..i use the dreadlckshampoo.com detox (not yet on the site special request it and tell her soaring eagle says hurry up and get it on the site)  that super cleans to the point u can suck the rinse water out of a dread and drink it and it tastes pure and filtered and cleaner then right from the faucet  i think they all clean amazingly well but if i really want a purification i use that  every couple months on average

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
PoopiePants
@poopiepants
6 years ago
81 posts
@huntercrow I hope I don't come off like a jerk when I say this, but did you really turn down an opportunity to lay in a beautiful stream with your girlfriend because you were afraid to get your hair dirty? You need to loosen up, and enjoy life man! Those moments don't come around every day. Your hair will be fine.
Hunter.Crow
@huntercrow
6 years ago
29 posts
Yeah you're right, it makes more sense that way
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form