Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

soaring with eagles

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

right around the time i began dreading i also began soaring.

what is soaring? the simple answer is turning gliding into more then just a sled ride to the ground

in the early days of gliding there was just the primary glider

8176e0abfaa51433ffd124a2394e59a0.jpg

a primary glider has a very poor performance.

it would be launched off a mountain top

descend at a steep glide slope

and land in the valley below

flight times were measured in seconds

gliding flight is peaceful flight

\pure flight

with no engine to bail you out you were dependent on your ability to think fast

react just right and nail every landing on the 1st and only try.

but the joy of gliding flight led to far more advanced designs

gliders became sailplanes (still often called gliders)

asw22_001.jpg

while a primary glider might have a best glide rate of 4-1 (4 feet forward for every 1 foot down)

modern sailplanes average about 48-1 with the big open class gliders reaching 62-1

besides having a far flatter glide slope, the sink rate was reduced, this alows a heavy glider to actually climb  when the airs rising faster then the glider is sinking.

soaring is the art of mastering the atmosphere. using invisible sources of lift, rising air, to climb high or fly far or fast.

thermals, marked by cumulus clouds typically, are created by solar heating, these narrow columns of rising air can be circled in just like hawks and eagles, in fact, often WITH hawks and eagles.

however other lift sources exist, the wind over a mountain ridge has nowhere to go but up. ridge lift provides some of the most exhilarating soaring experiences, racing often at high speeds very close to mountain ridges, flights of several hundred miles are now the norm.

downwind of these ridges on days when the atmospheric conditions are just right, standing mountain waves may form. with wave soaring the goal is to not move over the ground, but instead fly straight up in strong winds  the perlan 2 space glider plans to reach 90,000 feet soon! waves theoretically reach clear into the upper stratosphere.

so you are beginning to see the pure epicness of engineless flight  the oneness with nature

but what about competition? pushing the limits?

well how about the most graceful yet pulse pounding aerobatics posible?

glider aerobatics competitions have 2 parts, 1  a freestyle  flight where you design and execute your own program and another where you must perform a series of aerobatics with exact precision.

then theres racing

racing a glider takes strategy, bravery a little luck and a whole lot of knowledge.

you start off with as many as 50 gliders circling in the same thermal in close proximity, then they are off through the start gate. some follow the same path others might bear off  course where they feel they will get the most lift.  the idea is to fly the long distance at highest course speed, but sometimes a longer distance means a higher speed.

a glider pilot must be able to judge angles to a 1 degree accuracy, and read the clouds and ground features in search of lift sources. they must also always be aware of the weather and how far they can glide, and where they will land at any moment if things don't go just right.

glider pilots are therefore the safest pilots out there. (case in point scully from the miracle on the Hudson only saved those people cause he was a glider pilot too)

sometimes in a glider race the winner is the only 1 who managed to complete the task and not land in a feild somewhere.

i fly with http://www.freedomswings.org a glider club for disabled pilots

many airline and fighter pilots alike prefer soaring over any other type of flight

DSCN3418.JPG

ready for take off

dreads all tucked in secure clear of the controls.. (added to the preflight checklist)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 11/17/18 07:18:19PM
PoopiePants
@poopiepants
6 years ago
81 posts
I must admit I'm truly envious @soaring-eagle AWESOME!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

it really is amazing

hope to someday be able to compete at the national level

in days we will have just the 4th paralized glider instructor 3 of which we trained

i might someday teach but id rather just give people rides let them experience it

not sure i have the patience to teach

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago