Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Asking for advice on starting natural dreads

TashTash
@tashtash
6 years ago
76 posts

Hi everyone, I’m hoping for some advice on the natural, neglect method dreadlocks;

1. I will, from time to time, need to cover them for work, not because of the aesthetic side of things, but because of dirt and dust etc, will this damage or hinder progress while they are first forming, and what would be the best thing to cover them with? Cotton bandanna or woolly hat? 
  2. I’ve read that putting beads in can help newly forming dreads lock up better, and hold their sections, I’m guessing that the further down you place the bead, the better it’ll help, is that right? And how long should I leave it in because I’ve also read that they can create weak spots.
  3. Does it hurt to put your hair up? With natural random sectioning, do you get hairs crossing over sections that pull if you try to put it up? Asking because when I’ve worn synthetic dreads and have buggered up a section, it’s pulled when I’ve tried to put it up. Does it stay loose enough at the roots for it not to be a problem?
  4. I was going to wait for my hair to grow a little bit, but now I really want to just get started, how short is too short to start? My hair is ‘mid neck’ length, longer in the front, slightly shorter towards the back, but the hair at the nape of my neck is only about 2 inches! Should I wait or go for it?

I would say that my hair is thick, it’s naturally a little wavy in places, a little curly in others, and some parts are just straight. I wash my hair about once a week. My new growth is kinda coarse to start with so I usually look a little frizzy, and I try to avoid heat styling of any sort but sometimes I have to straighten it to just make it look neat (which I hate!) I made a massive mistake getting it cut short, I thought it’d be easier to handle but it’s not!

Any advice is appreciated, please share your tips and warnings that I might not have thought of, and thank you in advance 😊

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts
  1.  loose wool tam or somethings best, hats will slow progress  if worn alot
  2. i let mine stay in and be trapped for years till they fell out but if you dot want beads trapped move thm often
  3. you might need to separate more and will slow the progress
  4. mine was 4 inches or less except the back was 6 the back dreaded 1st the rest a couple months later you can start at shaved head

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
6 years ago
414 posts
The best advice I would give is to buy this shampoo because it really is the best and will make a world of difference.

https://dreadlockshampoo.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=7&zenid=779a37fdcc6c91052bcdbd3144768ef9

--
I'm on Twitter @FemalePheromone
and Instagram @FemalePheromones
TashTash
@tashtash
6 years ago
76 posts
Thanks guys 😊 I’m so excited, I’m going to start as soon as I’ve finished my crochet hat! And I will definitely be buying some of that shampoo come pay day!

Thank you so much
Bazooka Guru
@bazooka-guru
6 years ago
204 posts
I second the shampoo. Make sure to post updates for us!😊
LunaKat13
@lunakat13
6 years ago
54 posts

That shampoo really is great. The best actually.  My hair is at current also mid neck. I’m 5 months in. My sides were shaved so they are growing back but once they are long enough they will start knotting. I wear hats often due to cold and also I do alot of outdoor activities but a loose wool tam is what Is best and when not doing activities it is loose so it can do it’s thing. I’ve definately learned more on this site than anywhere else. Post uodates for us and good luck with your journey.😀

TashTash
@tashtash
6 years ago
76 posts
Just started a timeline in the forum, this is washed (unfortunately still having to wait on the shampoo, but I will be buying some!) blow dried and this is what I have, day 0!
TashTash
@tashtash
6 years ago
76 posts
@lunakat13, I have an indercut on my nape, like an inverted V, but I want to keep that shaved 😊
LunaKat13
@lunakat13
6 years ago
54 posts

TashTash: @lunakat13, I have an indercut on my nape, like an inverted V, but I want to keep that shaved 😊

Undercut is nice with dreads. I might have kept the sides shaved if they were even but are not so look funny.

TashTash
@tashtash
6 years ago
76 posts
Mine has been getting slightly bigger ever since I got my fiancée to shave it for me 😂
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form