dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Traction Alopecia HELP

Jay I.R.I.E
@jay-irie
6 years ago
10 posts

Hey DLS friends and fam,

I have been growing my locks since 1999. I rarely wash them fully because it is extremely hard to dry completely and I worry about rot lock. I’m looking for a natural dry shampoo alternative, or wondering if washing just my scalp or top of my head will suffice. I’m also worry about hair loss, balding, or traction Alopecia. I have attached files to show my concerns. I would always like to look for any natural treatment available. I’m worried my hair follicles are too damaged for regrowing. I’d like to thicken and strength my locks on the top of my head. The rest of my head and locks are thick and no scalp showing. Is there anything I can do? Or am I past the point of no return? I appreciate any knowledge and guidance I can get. Many thanks and mahalo in advance 

image.jpg
image.jpg  •  997KB

image.jpg
image.jpg  •  941KB

image.jpg
image.jpg  •  888KB

image.jpg
image.jpg  •  975KB

--
Peace and love within is where it all begins

updated by @jay-irie: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

yes you ha ve serious traction alopecia and whether its beyond hope is yet unknown

we have helped serious cases recover and so gfar have had a excelent recovery rate  but theres no guaranteees

now 1st off dry shampoo is just cornstarch or other oil absorbing powder that then has to be brushed out it will only make you more dirty you need to wash your hair often and I mean often

www.dreadlockshampoo.com is the absolute best the bars for mature dreads liquid for young I use bars on yours regardless

use the info in this video to massage the scalp 

leave no tension on the roots!

what were you doing to cause this what root maintenance//

i'll get our best expert on this asapn she may reply in the disqus comments below  so check there too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jay I.R.I.E
@jay-irie
6 years ago
10 posts
Many thanks @soaring-eagle I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I will definitely take all your advice. Do you suggest a specific bar? Also when washing my locks, should I only wash the scalp and base of my locks?

Some of my locks are are super think and I can never seem to get them fully dry. I worry about lock rot. They already to seem to have that wet dog smell after I wash them, which my wife loves lol jk.

I have been reading other multiple discussions board and saw a product discussed I believe it’s “rot lock” which help remove build up and prevent rot. Do you suggest this? Can I get it through the DLS?

I did not a link to the massage video, I did how every watch a video last night on the site where a lady used various oils coconut, castor, rosemary, and a few others. She massaged them into a gentlem who had a balding patch on the back of his head, he didn’t have locks. Is this the video you are speaking of?

I not sure the cause, I believe from wrapping my locks up in a bun. I honestly haven’t done any maintenance. I stated letting my locks just do their own thing about 10-14yrs ago.

If she replies, your expert, reply’s below in disqus will it be at the top? Or do I need to search?

Sorry for all the back and fourth brethren just want to make sure I do right and take best steps possible

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

the rot know will kill the small and the cause yes same site

any bars yiu like the escnts of

the buns could have done that if left in long times and done tightly

take biotin daily too

wash mostly the scalp then rinse through washearly in the day

a pro quality hair dryer with porceline filiments helps dry it faster but limit the blow drying moving it around qyuickly

sun dry is the best in sunmmer

use as much rot knot as yu need mine being 10 feet long I use an entire bottle (it rises out easy) squeeze it in deeop to the core saturate them for at least 10 minutes or more always make sure you get them dry before putting tem up 9dont put them up till healed) 

disqus loads after the page loads at the bottom

if the scent returns after a month or 2 use it again //very thick locks are harder to care  for

--
Jay I.R.I.E
@jay-irie
6 years ago
10 posts
Much mahalo @soaring-eagle I can’t express my gratitude for all you knowledge. I will be ordering everything from DLS on my next check.

If you look at the last picture from my original post you can see my front left lock is gone. It wash so heavy from being in the water it literally came out. As of now I have some stray hairs that are just going on there own. Once I start treatment and can see progress what do you suggest for the best way/method to start my lock over.

Also was I correct on the video I describe? Was it the same one you mentioned?

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

yes

right vid for sure

can you show a photo of full length and thickness of ends

you can start over after een 20 years but im not sure thats best yet  you'd use tons of conditioners and soak em and slowly carefully comb or pick out from tips up ..it can take awhile .. at 20 years.. myou will have shed every hair on your head at approx. 7 year intervals  so probably lil over 1/3 the lengths been shed  so expect that.. what will be left will be the max it can grow in  7 years which is typically round the ankles

oh I totalty misread that start over the lost llock..just let it form as many locks as it wants.. were yours started naturally or how

I think the sections were made too big to begin with which is common in salons cause they plan on causing traction alopecia and thinning them. 

since you didn't mean starti g over all your dreads  the 1 lost 1 will probblty try to form 1 thick 1 again  try to make it form 3 or 4 thinner ones by separating.. but it will just dread as it grows dont make it dread just count yojr blessings when it does

--
Jay I.R.I.E
@jay-irie
6 years ago
10 posts
Lol, reading your post wa great brethren.

Honestly, my friend and I did my locks ourselves. I sectioned off hair using a rubber band base. I then palmed rolled it or teased it also using a wool tam in circular motion to help kink my locks. I added a natural hemp seed oil in soil (possibly wax form) from a friend and applied that here and there through the next 6-8 months.

My locks were actually thinner in the begging then kinda grew together to make thicker locks. I also at that point combined the some locks to keep up with thicker lock all around. This is probably it where the mistake first stated because I think now the thinker locks on top of my head are causing a heavy tension to the locks on top of my head. Hope that makes sense.

I will attach photos to show you different locks, also how my lock is coming in on the top left of my head
image.jpg
image.jpg  •  2.1MB

image.jpg
image.jpg  •  2MB

image.jpg
image.jpg  •  2MB

image.jpg
image.jpg  •  1.9MB

--
Jay I.R.I.E
@jay-irie
6 years ago
10 posts
Sorry for got to post to you @soaring-eagle

--
Jay I.R.I.E
@jay-irie
6 years ago
10 posts
I have lost length to my locks over the years from I guess friction. They were to the back of my calves. I have only trimmed them once when I got married to signify a new chapter I embrace along my journey and symbolizing my wife’s importance in my life.

Thank you again for all your help and support brethren

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

what do you wash with and how often yes those re mighty thick

if your concerned it maybe have been a wax try wax b gone

now this is important

when you say you combined a few ...how exactly

preventing them from getting so thick would have een smarter then making the rest thicker. 

thats a lot off time the thick ones are going to require special care but lets worry about the thinning 1st..also no need to mention me I respond to everything that needs a response.

but lets hope panterra can help ...I believe its recoverable..if not 100% at least 80-90 ..its kinda bad so theres no guarantees ,, and wikll likely take a year or even more but ...this site and panterra are your best hope so thank god you came here 

i'll message her shes busy a lot and has a sometimes stressful life so ..it might take a lil time

right now start those massages

start biotin suppliments

now that I see the hair id recommend loosely in a big tam .. I mean just stuff em in or pull it on over them dont  wrap them up or anything before putting it on ..even if that means fakkling off more often (a tam with a drawstring or elastic stays on long dreads better)

make sure its plenty roomy you just want to take the weight off..so nothing including their weights putting tension on the roots wash at least weekly and early morn so you can really get them to dry..fully

ofcourse leave them down till totally dry

--
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form