Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

seborrheic dermatitis dreadlocks

drummerladd23
@drummerladd23
6 years ago
1 posts

I have my dreads made last year and until now three to four months I had no problems with dandruff or some kind of dermatitis. For three or four months I have had several symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis and I initially had only a few problems with dandruff that could be solved with a wash on my head. Now there are also some areas of redness that result in more dandruff and I m convinced by seborrheic dermatitis.

I do not want to give up dreads because I waited a long time to grow my hair and I wanted them a lot but I do not know if it's because of them or not. Is it necessary to cut them to treat my dermatitis? Raw honey helps as much as I read on the internet?

dread_stpauli
@dread-stpauli
6 years ago
156 posts

How were your dreadlocks made, in a salon? How often do you wash them and what shampoo do you use? Do you do any sort of maintenance like crocheting, palm rolling or so? Have you ever tried to rinse with cold water after a wash?

dread_stpauli
@dread-stpauli
6 years ago
156 posts

I have read on Wikipedia that it can be treated with Apple Cider Vinegar rinses after washing. Diluted 1:1 with water. Sunlight is also helping to reduce the symptoms. But i guess you need to ask an expert for this tricky question. Panterra Caraway is a member on here and she is a professional hair dresser. She might know an answer to your question. On her profile page here is also her facebook link. Feel free to ask her, she is very cooperative!

updated by @dread-stpauli: 07/06/18 09:25:03AM
lopenator
@lopenator
6 years ago
75 posts

Yes, it is important for us to know what you are washing with.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

hi, like was asked what method, what you wash with an how often are all important

my initial suggestions

1 wash with either the teatree or patchouli from dreadlockshampoo.com try both to see which is most effective

2 wash only with cool to cold water rinsing as cold as you can stand (in winter  wash with just ever so slightly warm just enough to not be cold still rinse cold) 

3 was every 2 or 3 days  weekly is a minimum but if you start seeing symptoms on day 3 wash on day 3

4 skip the honey for now to see how effective this is honey, medical grade honey is great on burns sunburns that sort of thing  but its possibly going to clog pores and while it provides some relief to itches i'm not sure its the most appropriate treatment tearea and rosemary are great for dandruff and dermatitis and patchouli for psoriasis. however you may just be dealing with nothing more then common dry flaky scalp which hot water alone can cause.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form