Dreadlocks Forums

Greetings and stuff

Travelerwanted
@travelerwanted
6 years ago
8 posts

Hi there.  Obviously new here.  

sheepish wave

Anyway!  I'm Nick, and this is my first time doing locks (I know at almost 40, as a white woman in an area of the US filled with Amish and other religious types.  Guess who gets all the weird looks about it?)  Mine are still at the 'what the hell is going on' stage with a lot of loose hair mixed in.  Though personally I kinda like the look (though can't wait until they're a little more mature.  I started them with shorter hair hoping it would give me time to get used to the weight of them.

And here I'm just gonna bail before I start rambling (Need to go get some essential oils anyway, ran out of my tea tree and eucalyptus oils.  Working around kiddos I was paranoid about getting lice, now that I work in a brewery... I keep the scents because personally, I love them.  Not big on the florals so I'm always looking for herbs with properties I like that won't make me smell like a flower garden.)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

welcome

what part of the country?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Travelerwanted
@travelerwanted
6 years ago
8 posts

I'm in Pennsylvania, about 30 minutes from Lancaster County.  Which is pretty tame with the hairstyles.  

Which is a small part of why I'm doing my dreads.  It's an adventurous style and since starting my journey with them I've found I haven't been as shy as I usually am.  They've forced me out of my little bubble, and this isn't a complaint I'm loving the conversations that I've had with people who think it's just a 'dirty' and 'lazy' hair style.  

I'll admit, I've wanted to so these since I was a teen back in the 90's.  So I've been doing a lot of research on what to do and not do with them, before I finally took the plunge.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

i'm right near you! phoenixeville pa

asked in the bead thread..your name

are you going to the rainbow gathering in Georgia/ im leaving today

direcctions I added to the bead thread

or click new posts you'll se them

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Bunn
@harleyjunkin
6 years ago
47 posts

Welcome! I am pretty new too! Its nice to know that the community is growing c: Can I ask what inspired you to grow dreads? 

Also, I hope you have a wonderful time, Eagle!

Travelerwanted
@travelerwanted
6 years ago
8 posts

I started them because it is a way of me to show my creative spirit on the outside, when I can't play with my art supplies or travel and explore.  

Bazooka Guru
@bazooka-guru
6 years ago
204 posts
Welcome! This post needs a picture... or 3. I would love to see your dreads! I also wanted them a long time before I actually took the plunge. I wish now I'd done them sooner!
dread_stpauli
@dread-stpauli
6 years ago
156 posts

Hey Nick, welcome! I started my 3rd try of getting dreadlocks at the age of 43 (1st one was at 24 i think), so age is not a reason for not trying to grow locks! I started mine short, too but i thing weight will be no problem, even long locks are not so heavy as you might thing they are!

Travelerwanted
@travelerwanted
6 years ago
8 posts

@bazooka-guru I'll try to get somme pics of mine up soon.  Problem is, all the good pics I have, are on my dead phone (Who knew phones didn't like baths in dirty dishwater) 

@Dread-stpauli I only notice the weight really when I go to the pool (Which is something I don't do too often).  Though I still think the steel toed boots I have to wear at work weigh more than my locks!  I was worried that it would be more of a problem but so far it's not.

dread_stpauli
@dread-stpauli
6 years ago
156 posts

Yeah, wet hair is a total different story! And i bet that your boots are heavier, too !

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form