Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Feeling a bit down..just ranting

Donna Hunter
@grey0wl
6 years ago
8 posts

Hey everyone. Basically posting in this forum because, today, I am in a deep valley. My hair is dreading fast than I can separate it, causing a perma mat in the back. I spend about 3 hours cumulative time separating each day..and these guys are nearing 3 weeks young.

My 3 yr old daughter has told me about how my hair is ratty and it needs to be brushed. (My fault as I've always made sure to keep her hair neat and tidy in a braid usually). Her grandmother told me I look like I belong in a psych ward... And honestly, feel like I do. Am I crazy for thinking I can get past this messy young phase with my head high and not worry about my hair so much? I'm so afraid of having a massive congo in the back, with the little dreadies poking out that I try so hard to separate often, but always having it mat back up, sometimes worse than it was before. 

I have hair down below my waist, undreaded.. In these few weeks the back has already shrunk above my shoulders in some spots... The front not so much, but the hair is dreading and much easier to keep from being buddies. Has anyone else had blues and woes in these early stages? I know in my being I am not alone in my doubts about my newly forming locs... I just need to be more patient with myself and my hair.

Writing this all out makes me feel better. I realize the lessons being learnt and yet to be learned in this journey...and I am grateful.

updated by @grey0wl: 03/09/18 08:59:21PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

adding beads will help keep them separated but yea long hair dreads fast and need a lot mor separating, but, should pass that stage sooner too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Donna Hunter
@grey0wl
6 years ago
8 posts
The other half went through after I washed my hair yesterday and separated the back for me.. Since I can't see what I'm doing, also, I have a shoulder that loves to dislocate easily... Makes it a bit difficult.

I've been looking around at beads, I'm just uncertain of what to get.. What places or sellers are trustworthy and have good product.. It's all so new, and I should have maybe researched and gotten them before starting...I just wasn't expecting this to be so fast. You're right though, it probably means I'll just get through this phase faster. The upkeep will be worth it! I'll post a pic soon, a lot of these guys in the back look like silly straws!

Thanks for your wisdom SE!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

i have avascular necrosis in 1 shoulder

and other hands got no grip (nerve damage) so i tend to pull 1 dread up over my head and hold it in my lips while pulling the other 1  so it can be done 1 handed.

ive always done it by feel not by seeing what i am doing in fact i almost always use shadows not mirrors to see how they look (if a dreads sticking out weird i see its shadow) so all my separating as been by feel 

anything with a hole is a bead

or a hole with anything around it is also a bead

find a rock or stick drill a hole you got a bead

find a hole and wrap something like clay or leather  around it and you got a bead

peyote sleeves are easy to make cheap as hell to make and  work very well..and are easy to remove even if they get stuck

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

:) and yea i never really think about separating unless i use the liquid shampoo and they all try becoming 1 big dread

--
cole
@cole
6 years ago
7 posts

Hi guys its good to be here I've been looking forward to get a dread forum where i can share my dread journey progress and likewise share and get ideas with others.
I just started my dreadjourney

I'll be dropping series of videos in my channel. subscribe ,like and share guys, i'll do same.

#staylock

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form