Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

First Month Frustrations

6 years ago
64 posts

Hello, I started twist and rip dreads almost a month ago. Previously I was trying to go full neglect, but that wasn't working out. No matter how much my hair matted, I would shower and after a few days of accumulating hair, all the loose knotted hair would fall out. I went about 8 months doing this without much luck. My hair would be back to normal as if I had been brushing it regularly, therefore, I opted for tnr. Now that I'm almost a month into tnr, I'm starting to see my hair loop and curl, but there are sections that have completely unraveled as if I did nothing to them. They're still in a section, just undone. Should I be worried?

I also have another worry. I use to be a collegiate athlete, but due to differences in coaching philosophy, I am no longer competing for my university. Now that i'm not competing, I haven't been focusing on exercising because I'm afraid it will unravel and undo my starter tnr dreads to square one. I've read that sweat and such is good for hair to knot up and help dreads along, but I don't think people really understand how much I sweat and exercise. I run about 80-100 miles a week when I'm in season on top of weight lifting. That may have been part of the reason my neglect dreads didn't work out since I was needing to shower and wash my hair so much, but now I haven't exercised in about a month since I started my tnr dreads. I now wash Wednesday and Fridays. I miss running and working out.

Any tips or help with my worries about unraveled sections, how to tie your hair up so that when you take out your hair tie it doesn't pull out hair, and washing and such would be appreciated.

https://www.dreadlockssite.com/alter/photoalbum/12/1st-month

image-2018-02-02-17-47-04

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

1 what are you washing with

2 are you towel drying

3 do not use hair ties  use your dreads or nothing

4 some sections look pretty big/

5 don't change  your life to dread dread to change your life.  it doesn't matter if it takes 8 months or 18  but to change what you enjoy doing simply to help it dread  is really not understanding the why of dreads, your not trying to achieve a look but a freedom a lifestyle  

final thoughts

1 try the dreadlockshamp.com liquid  it will help thm dread faster. carefully scrub the roots then rinse through.. do not towel dry that will unknot them in a hurry

2 dont tie them back or up at all  unles you absolutely must and then use your dreads themselves 

3 run run run  if thats what you enjoy (though competition  shouldn't be the point of being healthy and atie  don't overexert youself as if you got to win  just run or lift if yu feel you want t.. i don't know why youd feel like you have to unless your ot of shape and need to get into shape

4 relax your hairs dreading tnr often loosens and falls apart

if yu washwith the right shampoo  and don't towel dry..it wil dread..maye not fast ..but then again maybe it will

running will not hurt and if they are  left down to move freely it will help

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
6 years ago
64 posts
I'm washing with Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle. I use to use Shea Butter but that was leaving behind residue and somewhat conditioning my hair making it smooth.
I don't towel dry, I squeeze them then either let them dry, or use a fan or blow dryer at a distance to help 'em dry.
Running is just something that became a part of my life. I was always athletic, whether I was skateboarding or playing soccer or running, but when it comes to running, I grew accustomed to running against a clock, always trying to improve my time in the 5k or 10k. The lifting is just to keep me strong enough to support my body while running. I'm not over exerted.
I use a thick scrunchy to tie up my hair when I have to. I can't use my own hair to tie them back yet. It'll be months before I can do that. I only tie it up to brush my teeth, or when I shower and try to avoid wetting my hair. If I were running, I'd wash it every day. But I haven't ran since I started dreading.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

trader joes is not a dread shampoo

it is marginally ok when theres no other option. only because it seems to leave little to no residue but like most shampoos might be conditioning to a degree (the she  would absolutely prevent dreading)

if you can dreadlockshampoo.com lockin up liquid  will help them dread faster (i use it once evey few months to instantly start baby locks forming in loose hairs) 

switch to the bars when mature but the liquid  was created just  for speeding up locking in those who dread slowly

i understand when im soaring i always like to try to have a better flight each time either duration altitude distance speed.. whatever (or just a more amazing experience) 

its good to expand your limits and go for personal bests..if not records. but i always look at competition as something i do against myself not others. 

just completing a task is such a challenge  it doesn't matter if you came in 1st or last..if you finish you won

--
6 years ago
64 posts

For the tnr sections that have unraveled, should I just leave them as is or should I retwist them? I'm afraid of of them congoing into other sections and making them even bigger than what they are now. I have some pretty large sections for thing hair. About 39.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

just leave them if you tnr again they ill fall out again..and again your resetting progress to daty 1.. falling out..is progression,  its a step in the right direction

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form