Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

In the spirit of Ian's timeline, i present: Scarface's timeline

Scarface
@scarface
14 years ago
64 posts
My dreadjourney started about 10 months ago, or, if you count the time i spent growing my hair out before dreading it, two years.

I'll start with a picture I took right before we started dreading it. Hair looks overly fluffy because i washed my hair with a type of soap which made it super-dry. My hair had a hard time of dreading naturaly because i have inherited my fathers oily hair, so artificial seemed to be the only way to go.

Sorry for the bad quality of the pictures, the only camera i have is the one on my cellephone. :P

The very first dread, made with bacckombing and some crocheting.

The day after we made the first dread, we finished the rest of them too, 37 in all.

Week two. The babies had stopped looking like disfigured cornrows, and taken on the appearance of a rats nest. Oh, how proud i was of them. :P

About two months in. At this point they were tightening up nicely, and I found a funny little metal cylinder that I used to put into a random dread every morning. I wonder what happened to it...

Month three and a half. They were starting to settle down at this point, instead of pointing straight out in the air.

Half a year old. (6 months)

Taken last week, 10 months old. (Or, at least i think it's ten months. I started them last Easter, so its around that point.)

Been a while since i updated this. They're around 1.5ish years old now, and are growing like crazy. I've even got some baby dreads forming from loose hair all over. :)

updated by @scarface: 02/14/15 07:35:53AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
dry haqir dreadss much better ten oily your 1st poc looks like it woiuld dread so ez naturaly

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Scarface
@scarface
14 years ago
64 posts
Yeah, that was because of the soap I had just washed it in. Some kind of dish washing soap i think. Anyway, it became so dry, it was almost static. :PThe day after though, when we made the rest (i had help from my mother by the way) was way harder. My hair had become oily again, mostly because the backcombing hurt quite a lot, and made me stress.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i wouldnt ever want my dreads born oin pain..ouchtey sure changed alot earrly pics looked like it would need to be started over but slowlky worked itself out

--
Scarface
@scarface
14 years ago
64 posts
Thanks, i have a hard time belivieng that it ended so well myself. If i could restart i would probably try the rip and twist method instead, as I probably lost a ton of ripped out hair along the way. Some of the ends have tinned out quite a lot, nothing i can do about that though, except let them be and hope they work themselves out.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
leavin em alone to do what dreads do is always best poilocy

--
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
damn they changed ALOT from that first picture, I don't even know how crocheting turned it to that, that woulda been a cool video :)they look awesome after all that,My spirit has been pleased, haha :P
Scarface
@scarface
14 years ago
64 posts
Your guess is as good as mine on how they turned out like that. I don't think she used the crochet needle in any conventional way, or we may have used one with a too large a gauge. i think we used 1.5.thanks for the comment. :)
Scarface
@scarface
14 years ago
64 posts
If mine could recover from the disaster they were in the beginning, yours will end up great too. Hell, yours look way better than mine did at at 4 months. :)They are anything but soft though. they're pretty stiff, and molds into the shape they are usually in, slicked back in my tam. you can see it on the bend they have in the last picture.
Emily
@emily
14 years ago
203 posts
lookin good! nice timeline :) it was fun to see how they progressed
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form