Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Question On Congo Separation

Raven's Light
@ravens-light
7 years ago
346 posts

I realized a few days ago that I hadn't separated two dreads for a while (maybe about a month), and am wondering if I am at the point of no return as far as getting them apart from each other or if it is still a chance, as I am thinking that this dread will become too thick if I can't get them separate again. I have tried to take a picture of the congoing, if it is hard to see please let me know and I will try and take a better picture, but it is on the side of my head so it's a little hard to photograph right.

I had sort of just been washing and letting it go for a while, which was a mistake. I hope if this isn't fixable that this dread won't end up problematically thick (ie hard to get dry)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

while wet pull apart  (might hurt a lil) if that don't do it apply a lil olive oil to the connecting hairs.. repeat step 1

if still don't work try hooking a finger (or knitting needle) under some of the connecting hairs  farthest away from the scalp and pull out go back to step 1 etc

only if nothing works to this point will i suggest anything else

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
7 years ago
346 posts

I got it apart again, obviously took a little effort, I guess I'll just go back to looking through my hair for congos after each wash.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

good idea

--
SpookeDread
@spookedread
7 years ago
27 posts

I did the same lol, i ve got quite a few that are quite thick. i'll try to do that too thanks for the post

updated by @spookedread: 12/04/17 03:49:47PM
AlienEmotion
@alienemotion
6 years ago
36 posts

Ok so I have the same problem. I'm pretty consistent with separating because I really dislike big congos, I want my dreads to be as thin as possible. So I have no idea how only one of them managed to get completely out of hand, but I guess I'm way past the point of no return now. As mentioned, I only got one big congo dread at the back of my head, I'll include a photo however it's pretty bad quality and I haven't been able to take a better one. So I got this huge thick dread which is basically like a beaver tail and I hate it. When I lay down on a pillow and it gets in a certain position I can feel it pressing against my skull. It's very annoying.

I wish I could just cut it in half or something, but I know that's a no-go from watching Lazydreads did something similar in one of his videos.

I also included another pic of my dreads after something like a year and a half (it will be 2 years in august). They're finally coming along nicely, it's just that I have to wear them up while working and I work all the time, so that must be delaying the process a whole lot. I don't have any other option currently so that just what I have to live with.

I also have a ton of problems with dandruff but I guess that's also very hard to fix easily.

IMG_2340.JPG.jpg
IMG_2340.JPG.jpg  •  1.1MB

IMG_0037.JPG.jpg
IMG_0037.JPG.jpg  •  1.1MB

IMG_0026.JPG.jpg
IMG_0026.JPG.jpg  •  1.1MB

updated by @alienemotion: 01/16/18 05:54:36AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

they look great though if that 1 bothers you that much, comb it out

let it start over

what are you washing with and how often..hot or cold water

--
AlienEmotion
@alienemotion
6 years ago
36 posts

☮ soaring eagle ॐ:

they look great though if that 1 bothers you that much, comb it out

let it start over

what are you washing with and how often..hot or cold water

Well I guess I'll just leave it be as I'm really way too lazy/have tons of other work and don't want to deal with combing out because I know that takes quite some work and patience. I'm currently washing with Dollylocks but I don't like that shampoo very much, that's why I ordered from dreadlocks site again recently. I only have one wash worth of Dollylocks left and after that I'm switching back to Vicki's shampoo. I'm usually washing with lukewarm water, not hot nor cold.

Based on their current phase, would you advise me to start using bars already? I'm still only scraping the scalp with my fingernails, I'm wondering if I could start shampooing whole locks now, some of them feel pretty mature already.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

with vickis theres no need they clean all the way though but yes you can the bars will help keep them from congoing so much the liquid will require allot more separation

--
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
5 years ago
346 posts

I have been more relaxed as of late on my separating, as a long term result, these two deads have started to congo. Are the two dreads pictured able to be separated again or would that be too damaging to them?

updated by @ravens-light: 01/08/19 09:40:17PM
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form