Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

What to do about my new Loc twists...

Nosnibor
@nosnibor
7 years ago
3 posts

Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post!

Some of this info is on my profile but I'll put it here (I hope I'm in the right place)...

Anyway. I started growing out my hair since the beginning of summer last year 2016. I stopped combing or brushing it in about September. I wanted to just free form it.

My hair is African American, but it is a little bit on the woollier side since my mother's hair is long and wavy (she's half East Indian). 

Anyway, I notice that it really was just growing into a huge mass of afro hair, with curls of hair falling out. So I decided to go to a salon to have it dealt with.

They advised that they'd have to wash and detangle it, the comb and twist it. Then come back a week later to interlock it. I followed my gut and I didn't bother to go back to interlock it, only wash, detangle, comb, and twist.

This was the 7th of October this year (just a couple weeks ago).

I was advised not to wash it for a week. I waited a week, and washed it. But just the scalp, as I wanted to be very careful about unraveling the twists. I noticed that the hair on the scalp unraveled, so my twists on the scalp is not as tight as it was.

Product was and is still in my twists themselves. I wish I had asked what it was. I think it's styling gel, a very deep brown gel that was used in twisting my hair and to hold it in place. They say it would dissolve in time. 

I haven't washed them out, but the one on my scalp has been wash out. I remember seeking so much brown water in the back tub.

I would rather natural locks. I'm satisfied that they have actually been sectioned, but I don't want to lose the sections (twists) to washing. On the other hand, I don't want to damage my hair from keeping whatever is in it for too long. Also, I work out a lot, so I really do want to wash my hair so it's kind of driving me crazy.

The next concern is twisting. Do I have to go back for retwist?

IMG_20171017_015213.jpg

IMG_20171017_015252.jpg

updated by @nosnibor: 02/06/18 07:53:30AM
Nosnibor
@nosnibor
7 years ago
3 posts

Hi Awaseru, thanks for your response. I'll take your advice and wash them a good washing in the morning.

Awaseru: I would wash and seperate if necessary. I started mine with two strand twists and washing might unravel them but my experience is the unraveled ones dread faster. If you seperate after a wash you can keep your partings the way they are. With hair like yours I think they won't unravel anymore after you've washed them a few times. Don't be afraid to wash your hair more often, your hair needs to be clean to dread and you don't need any gel in your hair. Don't retwist, just wash.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,639 posts

yea what she said wash them call the locgtician ask what that was it sounds to me like it was most likely wax which is evil stuff..if so you want to get wax b gone and get it out (wax b gones the only way to get wax out) 

retwisting will only make you go bald

you basicly had a years progress minue separating  that she wiped out to give you..that

instead you should have separated what you had already going on.,  actualy the best thing would have been to separate all along to help the dreads form  as individual dreads.

do you have a before picture from right before she did this/

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Nosnibor
@nosnibor
7 years ago
3 posts

Unfortunately no right before picture. The closest pic would be from January this year which I will attach

☮ soaring eagle ॐ:

yea what she said wash them call the locgtician ask what that was it sounds to me like it was most likely wax which is evil stuff..if so you want to get wax b gone and get it out (wax b gones the only way to get wax out) 

retwisting will only make you go bald

you basicly had a years progress minue separating  that she wiped out to give you..that

instead you should have separated what you had already going on.,  actualy the best thing would have been to separate all along to help the dreads form  as individual dreads.

do you have a before picture from right before she did this/

Afro.jpg
Afro.jpg  •  36KB

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,639 posts

well that was quite a few months ago

your hair did compress inmto that fro a lot though huh

was hoping too get a better idea what it looked like within the last couple months..oh well

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form