Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help with saving dreads

Vasuki
@vasuki
7 years ago
3 posts

Hi everyone. First of all, i would like to admit that i know it's my fault for getting dreadlocks without reading about ways to make dreads I live in Saigon and dreadlocks is completely not a thing here at all. Only in the recent year ppl start to get dreads but they completely don't care about the culture, just more wanna get the look. For me myself i never thought that i'd get one. But in the past few months, many things happened that lead me to embrace this and decided to seriously taking it. So i read that professionals can really help with getting proper dread and also they can guide you on how to maintain them better. So i went to the guy who's suppose to be the best and most well known for making dreads in Saigon (my knowledge about it before hand are only the meaning and history of dreadlock but i don't realize that there exist ways that can be harmful for your dread). And i guess you all know the result, he used crochet/ fetching technique. Only a day afterward when i was searching for more ways of taking care of the dreads when i stumbled upon the ways of making it and realized how dumb i was. I asked the guys and he said everyone here do that technique and no one bother to ask, plus no one complain also so he just automatically do crochet on everyone. So that's why i'm asking you guys things that i can do to save my dreads. Currently i have 35 of them and it took me 1,5 year to get to this length it'd be hard to shave them all because of this mistake. Also one of the dread (the first one) was a natural one that the girl i love found on our 2nd date and she loves it a lot (she changed my life and also big part of the reason i'm getting dreadlocks) so it'd be very painful for me to say goodbye to it. Please help :( And thank you all for reading this

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

as soon as you mentioned "professional" my reaction was 'oh no' as you are aware crochets horrible!

now was that 1st natural dread also crocheted? (i mean after it already formed and the 'pro' got his hands on your head)

you already knew dreads can form on their own, ..even without your knowledge of it happening... and that's a special thing that has great meaning (and seems to have lead you to your soulmate) hopefully that 1 special dread was left alone completely and respected for what it was

your dreads are not destroyed only harmed, theres no reason to shave..ever  even crocheted dreads can be combed out if you decide you want them all to form naturally

theres no need for that unless you feel the need, true, crochet will drasticly delay dreading and take a long time to recover (if tight..post pics if you can)

but they take a whole lot of crocheting to be totally destroyed.. so JUST NEVER CROCHET OR TRUST A PROFESSIONAL AGAIN

options;

1 if  they are very tight a light conditioning can help loosen them and soften them so they recover faster

2 if not too tight just let them be and continue on

3 if you feel strongly enough that it was a huge mistake comb out all but the special natural one ..very gently and carefully with lots of conditioners ..i mean saturate them in olive oil or cheap conditioner and slowly brush or comb them out from the tip up..it will take a long time and because crochet was used you will have handfuls of broken hairs after

additionally i would recommend you talk to that 'pro' and suggest he learn a  bit more about dreads  before taking peoples money.. especially about how harmful crochet is

definitely post a few photos

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

ps moved it to the salon dreads recovery forum

--
Vasuki
@vasuki
7 years ago
3 posts
Yes i do
IMG_2560.JPG.jpg
IMG_2560.JPG.jpg  •  331KB

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

they look very stiff and tight huh (seen worse however) i'd let them hang loose as well instead of tied back.. i would request a refund as well

i forget where you said your from but was it marley studios it looks like their work ..

yea let them be free and try to soften and loosen them up.. crazy part is  your hair would dread so easily naturally, its really negligent for them to not even mention that fact to you

i mean you already had a dread  that probably formed in just a few days...

the original natural dread...is it still natural or was that crocheted as well?

the original options are still what id recommend except  possibly picking at it instead of combing or brushing.. 1  of those   afro picks and just pick at the very last lil bit that's knotted and work up...if you choose to start over that is

just loosening them is enough to save them

but still not the best start except that 1  special 1

--
Vasuki
@vasuki
7 years ago
3 posts
Thank you for your help
No i live in Saigon, Vietnam. I don't care about the money at all (i was actually a very manipulating guy and only care about making money before i met that girl). It's just a bit sad, i'm a clumsy guy and i know i'll fuck up if i do it myself that's why i went to the shop. Also wanted it to be a surprise for the girl.
The natural guy is still there

I confronted him though not to get the money back but to tell him there're ppl that actually really care about this and he should advice them before hand. He just replied that if you love it you should have looked online, he doesn't have time to explain to everyone and will just automatically do the crochet. I saw no point in continueing talking with him about this...
updated by @vasuki: 08/28/17 03:46:18PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

expose him for the asshole he is then... how could you fuck it up, when you already had 1 happen without you doing a  thing/ dreading happens while your playing working driving sleeping making love to your new lover .. it happens while your living your life.. it already had.. did you fuck up that 1st 1/ no  it just appeared 

you can be clumsy, mentally challenges, in a coma, with all 4 limbs missing (and deaf mute and blind) and still not fuck it up

the less work you do on them, to start, and to maintain.. the better they turn out

(separating's the only maintenance recommended anyway)

i'm sure she appreciated the gesture ..you meant well.. you did it for her

but it would have meant more to you both if you both simply let it happen  as a celebration of your union

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form