Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

crochet dreads need help.

bhayo
@bhayo
7 years ago
7 posts
hey guys, before two year i tried to make naturals dreads, i had long and thick hair but the dreads that start to form were not so nice one was huge other one was lost more than half of lengh and was short and fat so i didnt continue. now before week and a half i made dreads in the crochet method, i got 20 locks all my head, they looking nice but after i read little bit about this crochet i dont want to use this never again on my dreads. so i need help to decide what can i do with them, should i try to take them apart and then try to let them naturaly dread again or should i leave them like this and just let them be?? what would you do? thanx in advance to everybody!
updated by @bhayo: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
Irie
@irie
7 years ago
41 posts

The thing about free form dreads is what you don't like, you can end up with one this a lot larger than you want or not in sections you want etc.
When dreading naturally you could have split that one apart as it was forming, when they are just starting out and you are free forming its important to separate them yourself if the section is getting to big.

Some people dont care how big they get but super fat dreads can cause problems later.
While I was free forming I had two that ended up too large, I ended up combing those out and letting just that area start over.

It really depends on what you want to do brothaman.
Stay away from the crochet hook what ever you do thats the one thing I can say for certain.
Aside from that some people like having it sectioned, some people prefer to have it natural.

I like to see exactly how my hair was intended to be. Some ended up larger (none too big because I separated when needed) than others and some are far more mature than others but they are all exactly how/where they wanted to be not where I wanted them.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

its up to you whether to start over or continue. but clearly never use the hook again!

once and done yes its a mistake but not fatal one. it will take tiime to recover  but will still be ok

natural is best but does take care to prevent or accept huge dreads. choosing another option to have some controls fine but its still best to then leave them alone from then on. that way your not adding to the harm and they can remain as healthy as can be

dont beat yourself up for starting a less then optimal way. just treat them better from here on out

if dreading is spiritual or meaningful to you though you might want to start over naturally for that reason

fwiw, my 1st set had huge fat crazy dreads too. i separated this set early on alot more and glad i did

18 years in i stopped though almost entirely now only separate the already big ones, letting the rest congo andget fatter

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
bhayo
@bhayo
7 years ago
7 posts
thanx man! its good to hear that if you did once this crochet the dreads can still be ok. i think its to much crazy to take all of them apart, so if they will be fine if i dont touch now i think i leave them like this, hope one day they will forgive me :)
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form