dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help needed to cover my hair

MW2TopTenWORLD
@mw2toptenworld
7 years ago
46 posts

Hello!

So here's the thing I'm starting a job and have short hair (shoulder lenght), so I can't really tie it back... I've bought a "hair band?" that keeps the hair out of my face but not the sides nor the back... after a lot of experimenting I managed to get the back into the band as well and most of the sides but it still wasn't good for work (they dont discriminate dreadheads it's just that I'm serving food so any hair needs to be covered / tied back).. also I'm looking for something less agressive, I don't know but I find that with that hair band and short hair it's quite aggresive, is it just me? (specially it being thick and heavy hair due to not combing)... like if it was longer I could tie it back or use this hair band more appropriately.. so maybe one of those "dread hats?" would be a better option? please help me thanks :) 

updated by @mw2toptenworld: 05/17/19 07:49:33PM
MW2TopTenWORLD
@mw2toptenworld
7 years ago
46 posts

https://www.dreadlockssite.com/dreadlocks-forums/forum/dreads-and-diets/114705/the-vegan-diet-and-myself  also, read this if you want a little input into my hair and my lifestyle :) 

Irie
@irie
7 years ago
41 posts

I will assume when you say a dread hat you are talking about a tams.

https://www.etsy.com/market/rasta_tam

I started when mine was probably give or take just a little longer than yours, it was slightly below my shoulders.
A Tam would be 1000x better than a hair tie, if its a little loose fitting your hair will still be able to move around a little even inside the tam, unlike a tie which stops it completely.

While I wouldn't suggest wearing one when you don't have to, if you're like me and need to cover your hair for work.
Tam it up, or even a beanie until then if they let you.

MW2TopTenWORLD
@mw2toptenworld
7 years ago
46 posts

Irie:

I will assume when you say a dread hat you are talking about a tams.

I started when mine was probably give or take just a little longer than yours, it was slightly below my shoulders.
A Tam would be 1000x better than a hair tie, if its a little loose fitting your hair will still be able to move around a little even inside the tam, unlike a tie which stops it completely.

While I wouldn't suggest wearing one when you don't have to, if you're like me and need to cover your hair for work.
Tam it up, or even a beanie until then if they let you.

Yeah, I never wear anything but for this work , since I'll be handling food, I need to have the hair tied back or covered.. I don't think they care what I'm using as long as it works, for lenght issues I can't tie it back, the hair band or tie or whatever is really bad, doesn't work properly and as you said doesn't let the hair move.. so yeah I'm sort of looking for a tam or something that works and isn't bad, any ideas where I would get that type of stuff?

Irie
@irie
7 years ago
41 posts

Your best option would be online.
I don't know where you live but I am from Los Angeles and still had an exceptionally hard time finding them local, I had to drive out to Venice Beach.
Even then I couldn't find anything that I really liked.

Your best bet is that link I had already posted

Lots of different styles/colors ranging from lowest like 10$ (I wouldn't buy any of these) to 80$+ obviously those you wouldn't buy to wear at work.
Browse around there and find one that you like, 20-30$ really isn't much for really good quality head gear, I mean most fitted baseball caps cost more than that now a days.

I have to cover my hair at work also, hair ties really held me back.
Tam or beanie are the way to go. Beanies tend to hold your hair more in one place though, tams are more free flow.

Irie
@irie
7 years ago
41 posts

On an extra note I would keep a lint roller in your car or with you to roll your tam before you work every day.
A few times I noticed hair getting stuck to it that could possibly have fallen out at very inopportune times.

It was normally my cats fur but occasionally I would find some of my own sticking to it.

MW2TopTenWORLD
@mw2toptenworld
7 years ago
46 posts

Irie:

Your best option would be online.
I don't know where you live but I am from Los Angeles and still had an exceptionally hard time finding them local, I had to drive out to Venice Beach.
Even then I couldn't find anything that I really liked.

Your best bet is that link I had already posted

Lots of different styles/colors ranging from lowest like 10$ (I wouldn't buy any of these) to 80$+ obviously those you wouldn't buy to wear at work.
Browse around there and find one that you like, 20-30$ really isn't much for really good quality head gear, I mean most fitted baseball caps cost more than that now a days.

I have to cover my hair at work also, hair ties really held me back.
Tam or beanie are the way to go. Beanies tend to hold your hair more in one place though, tams are more free flow.

The thing is 20-30$ is still quite a lot for me  :\  beanies should be easier to find right? or if online, at least cheaper... I basically need a cheap, non agressive non harmful thing for my hair, the beanie might keep them all in one place but it's not harmful, any tips, I really need this help :\ 

Irie
@irie
7 years ago
41 posts

If that's the case then yes I would just get a beanie.
If you are only wearing it at work its not going to harm your dreads, it will most likely just take a little longer to do its thing.

Not nearly as bad as it being tied up but also not as good as being out freely.
The best advice I can give is get a beanie that is as loose as possible without worrying about it falling off your head all day.

MW2TopTenWORLD
@mw2toptenworld
7 years ago
46 posts

Yeah thanks If I don't find any locally, I'll order a beanie asap :) Also, i don't work everyday and it's a part time, so it's not even as bad

Thanks a lot! :) 

dread_stpauli
@dread-stpauli
7 years ago
156 posts

Hey!

I cut a sleeve out of on old t-shirt and use it as a head band. It does'nt cover all my hair but a lot, only the back of my head is uncovered.

It might not be the best solution for your job, but it's a cheap alternative and it's comfortable to wear.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form