Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Free form dread section too big.

Irie
@irie
7 years ago
41 posts

So ive determined there is at least 3~ dreads forming where the sectioning is far too big.

How do I go about fixing this situation. Ive tried to split them from the top but after about 2 hours of trying to use my hands to split it apart it wasnt working.
I grabbed a soft brush comb and started at it, after about an hour i saw little to NO progress in it coming undreaded.

I noticed that 2 of the 3 are in the same exact spots on the nape of my neck behind my ears.
Does this mean even if I split it, it will eventually re-dread like that over x amount of years?

Whats even more bothersome is its in kind've a upside down L shape on both side,  I feel like the empty space of the L will end up sucking in the dreads that are forming/will form there.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

how big are the sections when combined/ if you want to comb them out it can take days not hours and require a lot of conditioners

he shape shouldn't matter

they are likely splittable if done with are

try wet

try with a lil olive oil only on the connected parts

last resort pull them wide apart putting tension on the area you want split and very carefully use a  excto, razor blade, or scalpel to surgicaly slice like 1/16th of an inch in or a mm or 2

then repeat... mostly try to separate while wet withy a lil oil if needed and bearing a lil pain

only slice a few hairs  if absolutely needed just o release it so you can maybe rip it a lil more

if u slice be surgically precise to go straight between the 2 directly towards the scalp and only  a tiny bit in each time

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Irie
@irie
7 years ago
41 posts

I have a hard time trying to see how large they are, im not amazing with small measurements in the first place and not being able to see it makes it 100x harder for me.
I will see if I can get someone to measure the exact length of it tomorrow or something
I did take these two 11 second videos that might give you an idea of how bad it is.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

yea that's big and would make 4 dreads that re still pretty thick

--
Irie
@irie
7 years ago
41 posts

☮ soaring eagle ॐ:

yea that's big and would make 4 dreads that re still pretty thick

Yeah I mean not being good with measurements I still think this is almost already 1 1/2 minimum.
The one on the exact same spot, opposite side of my head is about the same size, its definitely still too big.
Im a little worried that I should have been a lot more attentive to separating them earlier but I was always afraid of messing up progress.
I always wanted them to kind've be fatties but I think even with all your amazing information and help I still went overboard.
Always justified it "If it starts to seem to big I can just separate it then" now thats i know its too big its like impossible for me to separate it :[

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

YEA BETTER TO SEPARATE AND ONCE MATURE SAY IF ITS TOO THIN i can always let them congo and get fatter

srry caps

--
Irie
@irie
7 years ago
41 posts

Also Ive noticed it seems like a lot of the smaller dreads that are forming have more of a rectangular shape as opposed to a square. I realized none of them were going to be perfectly uniform and thats what I liked. Im just concerned that they are going to look flat. ill try to snap some pics tomorrow but the best explanation I could give is they are like 3x longer ---- direction than they are | direction

Irie
@irie
7 years ago
41 posts

Should I expect a lot of breakage to be falling out?
The place on my head where these dreads are I cant see well enough to cut (with precision) that small of a section. I tried once and a large part was actually cut off when i brushed right after.

i have a very small comb and I have been grabbing a few hairs at a time from the tip and pulling down. Once there is a loop I can put a finger through i stop pulling down and split it with my hand.
I do see a LOT of hair falling onto my sink roughly 3-5 inches long. is it because I am breaking it? Or is this unavoidable.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

if you cant do it with precision have someone else do it

shed hairs are trapped in dreads  and if you comb them out (i think that's what your saying) they will   fall out, but if you did cut between dreads  you are cutting each hair many many times that's why you want to  do it like surgery  so your not cutting each hair into hundreds of peices

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form