dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Scalp problems :/

elvenni
@elvenni
7 years ago
17 posts

Hi there!

I noticed recently that there's quite a bit of scalp showing on the top of my head between dreads and it's looking kinda angry, all red and stuff. I'm extremely paranoid of traction alopecia etc. I'd greatly appreciate any input. Tell me if this looks bad! Or if I'm just worried for no reason.

Also what could be causing my irritated/red/itchy/dandruff-y scalp? I use faith in nature's rooibos/pomegranate shampoo and wash my hair with it a couple times a week, other times with just water.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

its hard to be4 certain since zooming in its kinda out of focus  but to me it looks like more a psoriasis  or subdhoric dermantitis issue

the scalps showing but theres still hair follicles there right, i mean the scalps not bald with no folicules  growing from it right/  even if they were excessively heavy  natural dreads shouldn't cause traction alopecia, unless you constantly have them pulled into a tight style, and leave it that way without relief for long periods

if you can, i'd have a dermatologist take a peek at that 

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
elvenni
@elvenni
7 years ago
17 posts

☮ soaring eagle ॐ:

its hard to be4 certain since zooming in its kinda out of focus  but to me it looks like more a psoriasis  or subdhoric dermantitis issue

the scalps showing but theres still hair follicles there right, i mean the scalps not bald with no folicules  growing from it right/  even if they were excessively heavy  natural dreads shouldn't cause traction alopecia, unless you constantly have them pulled into a tight style, and leave it that way without relief for long periods

if you can, i'd have a dermatologist take a peek at that 

It's more like, all of the hair in the area is parted to the dreads so scalp is showing in between, since there is no loose hair or baby dreads to fill the gaps there. Same thing with non-dreaded hair, if you part it there'll be scalp showing between the parts (at least in my knowledge).

I don't know if there are follicles there since it's hard for me to see my own scalp :/ But I'll try to get a better picture today!

Thank you again for your help :)

elvenni
@elvenni
7 years ago
17 posts

Here are more pictures. Sorry for the greasiness in the other one, I put jojoba oil on my scalp because I heard it could help with irritation.

elvenni
@elvenni
7 years ago
17 posts

Maybe my hair is thinning. This is quite scary.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

yea you have rather thin fine hair that's why the scalps so visible..thats fine theres definitely still hairs growing normally in the gaps

jojobas a good idea yea ..but you might want to look into your shampoo  as a possible cause..i'm not familiar with it  but if it contains sulphates like sls its likely the cause. they are skin irritants that are the primary ingredient in most shampoos including many that call themselves natural.

I know i had a lot of scalp issues till i switched to the dreadlockshampoo.com bars

switching to something that is truly natural and healthy (and made for dreads) might help a lot more then using jojoba

i'll also ad that with the weather changes (and lately the extremes in weather..thanks climate deniers) my scalps acted up a little between washes

--
elvenni
@elvenni
7 years ago
17 posts

☮ soaring eagle ॐ:

yea you have rather thin fine hair that's why the scalps so visible..thats fine theres definitely still hairs growing normally in the gaps

jojobas a good idea yea ..but you might want to look into your shampoo  as a possible cause..i'm not familiar with it  but if it contains sulphates like sls its likely the cause. they are skin irritants that are the primary ingredient in most shampoos including many that call themselves natural.

I know i had a lot of scalp issues till i switched to the dreadlockshampoo.com bars

switching to something that is truly natural and healthy (and made for dreads) might help a lot more then using jojoba

i'll also ad that with the weather changes (and lately the extremes in weather..thanks climate deniers) my scalps acted up a little between washes

Gosh thanks for clearing up my worries! 

My shampoo contains ammonium lauryl sulphate, that might be the cause then. I'll have to grab myself some shampoos from the site you linked!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

yea that's likely the cause.. and the cure

let us know  if it improves it

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form