Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hair Hurts?

yakerdeets
@yakerdeets
7 years ago
8 posts

So I am about 4 months into my dread journey and often I get the feeling of my "hair hurting" like when you have your hair up too long. I hardly ever wear my dreads up in a hair band. Is this the dreads tightening back against my scalp?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

could be but shouldn't be hurting  is your scalp healthy are they being kept separated

they aren't real thick right?

i would take a look at your scalp health 1st make sure that's in check

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
yakerdeets
@yakerdeets
7 years ago
8 posts

I guess maybe hurting isn't the right term just irritated. Feels like my hair has been in one place too long. Is that making sense haha. They are separated, I have some thick and some thin. I have a wee bit of dandruff but its not a "problem" per say. 

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

i guess i move mine around a lot so never experienced that

that maybe all you need is just toss them to 1 side or the other awhile?

--
P3RMAamp
@p3rmaamp
7 years ago
80 posts

I've definitely experienced that. It's not painful just kind of irritating and like a tightening. Every once in a while I get a few hairs that get very tight and have to be loosened because they are pulling at my scalp. I'm about 4 months in too. Hopefully either we will get used to it or it will get better. I think it's just a transitional thing.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

did you both start them manually?

could be cause of the starting method they are pulling unevenly  that should sort itself out after a few to several months

for instance if you backcombed or tnr (i would guess more likely from backcomb)  and  as your pushing the knots towards the scalp a few hairs are being held from being pushed down so are holding a disproportionate amount of weight (like the circus people that hang from their hair need to be certain that every  hairs  taking the same amount of force the whole head then can support  the weight of 3 elephants  but if 1 sections slightly looser or tighter, disaster can strike and a chunk of scalp get ripped out)

as they grow and knot  they should even out as those weight bearing hairs will have other hairs knot around them till the pressure evens and they can start to knot around others

i can't see this being much of a long term issue  but likely will take months possibly till they have  grown a lil  after the roots dread and mature

--
P3RMAamp
@p3rmaamp
7 years ago
80 posts

Mine are 100% natural. I haven't done anything other than wash with Vicki's dread soap.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form