Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Comparing Shampoos, Looking for Advice.

Raven's Light
@ravens-light
7 years ago
346 posts

Hi I have a question about two different shampoos I have come accross, for refrence, both are sold at the same place, Trader Joe's here in the United States. One of them is their Tea Tree Liquid Shampoo, which contains:  water, tea tree oil, peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, rosemary oil, nettle oil, thyme oil, birch leaf oil, chamomile, clary, lavender, coltsfoot leaf, yarrow oil, mallow, horsetail oil, soybean protein, coconut derived c12-14 olefin sulfonate, cocamidopropyl betaine, tocopherol (vitamin E), trace minerals, citric acid (corn), sodium hydroxymethyglycinate, sea salt, grapefruit seed. No laurel/laureth sulfates (ingreditnsgotten from Amazon, since they were a little hard to find otherwise)

They also sell a shampoo called Nourish Spa Shampoo, which contains: Purified Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Sea Salt, (t make this list more readable I have omitted most of the technical names they list for the organic oil extracts: Argon oil, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Orange Fruit extract, lemongrass extract, Ginkgo Biloba Extract, Echinacea Angustifolia Leaf extract, Willow Bark Extract, Chamomile Flower Extract, Soybean Seed extract, Lavender flower extract, Grapefruit seed Extract, Vitamin E, Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanal, Potassuim Sorbate, Fragrance. 

I am wondering which one is better for dreads? I have used the first one before and liked it, so I"m mainly wondering abut the second one.

both come in roughly 16 oz bottles I think the Nourish Spa one is cheaper...but I wanted to be sure it was ok for dreads before I got a bottle of it.

I also wondering if the Tea Tree Shampoo would be better than the dr. Bronners bar soaps, or even the liquid one?

Any input would be helpful...

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

the 1st 1 to me looks better but if its 'superfatted' it might not be great in hard water

bronners liquid is

2nd is rather conditioning for everyday use

1st might help with hair strength and thickness

both have some ingredients i would investigate individually  and thoroughly

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
7 years ago
346 posts

Good to know the tea tree one is at least somewhat safe, and thus a viaable option.  Which ingredients would I need to investigate in the tea tree one? What do you mean by "superfatted"? I have used it a for washing before this. (still have some left, and I have been alternating between that shampoo and dr bronners...) I'm just wondering if it'd be a little better than the bronners bars.  

updated by @ravens-light: 01/17/17 10:32:34PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

Soapmaking is at its heart, a science. When we add colors and fragrance to the process, we turn the science into an art. Each oil has its own saponification value , or the amount of lye it takes to turn 1 gram of oil into 1 gram of soap. When we make cold process soap, it’s a mathematical formula that looks like this: (Oil Amount) x (SAP value) = Lye Amount needed. For a real example, it looks like this (10 oz. Olive Oil) x (.134) = 1.34 oz. lye. So, it takes 1.34 ounces of lye to turn 10 ounces of Olive Oil into soap. Using the exact amount of lye you need to make the exact amount of soap with nothing left over (no extra oils) is called a 0% superfat or a 0% lye discount.

Many soapmakers like to have some extra oils in their soap that are leftover and not bound to lye. Any extra oil left in the soap and not attacked by the lye is called a ‘ superfat .’ The terms ‘superfat’ and ‘lye discount’ can be used interchangeably

taken from here https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/cold-process-soap/superfatting-soap-an-explanation-2/

superfatted simply means more oils re used then are broken down into soaps by the lye

that's why bronners leaves an oily film in hard water

in shampoo 1 this ingredient looks like the most worrisome http://www.truthinskincare.com/2008/01/ingredient-watch-sodium.html

its a preservative that causes severe skin irritation  ..burning eyes reddened skin etc

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

shampoo 2 Phenoxyethanol is a germicidal and germistatic glycol ether, phenol ether, and aromatic alcohol often used together with quaternary ammonium compounds. Phenoxyethanol is used as a perfume fixative; an insect repellent; an antiseptic; a solvent for cellulose acetate, dyes, inks, and resins; a preservative for pharmaceuticals, cosmetics and lubricants; an anesthetic in fish aquaculture; and in organic synthesis.

sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate

this can be drying and is derived from wax, or more likely petroleum

its also a sulphate which are generally considered bad for  all skin and hair care

--
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
7 years ago
346 posts

Ok, Thanks for the explanation.  :)  . So the tea tree one (shampoo 1) seems like it'll be safer than shampoo 2, Bronners seems to the obvious best choice, but I am wondering if the first shampoo would be ok to use maybe once in a while or if it is best avoided?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

yes i would think so

its an educated guess though so i can't guarantee its the best choice

you know what the best choice is, and should likely use those ingredients as a comparison for the ideal dread shampoo and whatever you can get that comes closest is likely to be  a better choice then anything you find at a local store

--
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
7 years ago
346 posts

So just to clarify, it MIGHT be ok to buy a bottle and use the tea tree shampoo again, but it is most likely better to not use it long term, correct?  I haven't actually had an issue with the skin issue it mentioned on that blog? Although I mean leaning more toward just going with dr bronners in some form. 

I'm still wondering if the bronners bars would be better than the liquid.... I am wondering if maybe if I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a bar when I'm out of the liquid to test it out. Although I live in an area that is supposed to be hard water, I haven't had much of an issue with getting these shampoos out of my dreads.....but as it stands now the only soap saver bag I have has a bar in it. So I have a while to go (thankfully I have most of a bottle of bronners liquid left). 

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

vicki sends gifts samples and hand written thank you notes she started off with soapsavers in every 1 ask her if she has any can she send 1

--
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
7 years ago
346 posts

Ok, what is the best way to contact her? I am assuming I would just send her an email through the 'contact us' link on her website?

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form