Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Split dreads hanging by a thread

blueblade
@blueblade
8 years ago
2 posts

I have very straight Caucasian hair.  I let my dreads form "semi-neglect", by doing lots of rubbing for a couple of weeks and then letting nature take its course.  It's been about a year and a half, and I have well-formed dreads.

A couple dreads had roots that were spread out over too great a distance, so I split them by tearing until I couldn't tear anymore, then slicing the rest of the way with a knife.  After a couple months, those split dreads have very thin roots.  I could literally count the strands of hair on one.  One fell out a few days ago.  I'm afraid if the rest fall out, there will be large "blank spots".  Not quite bald spots, as there is enough un-dreaded hair.

I had been doing a lot of circular root rubbing to try to save them, but after reading some posts here, I will stop.  I had considered finding a salon, but again, after reading posts here, I won't.

Is there anything I can do to save these dreads from falling out?  Or do I just learn from my mistakes and leave them be?  (I'm tempted to assist one in coming out so that it doesn't end up on the floor of a client's home.)

On that note, is there anything I should do maintenance-wise, other than washing a couple times a week?  I have used nothing but a baking soda/water mix and ACV since I started.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

stop using that mix long term use severely weakens hair

you should have combed out the ones too big and let them resection when you split them you literally broke every single hair hundreds if niot thousands of times

think of how the hairs are matted  criss crossing the dread every wich way over and over  so splitting  breaks every last hair many times  sometimes each inch you split broke every hair a few times

i would highly recommend www.dreadlockshampoo.com bars  the hair will be stronger within a couple washes..noticeably stronger

any dreads that have extreme tin roots find another thin dread nearby it and combine them by putting a bead over the 2 or y wrapping the 2 together in hemp or embroidery thread--root rubbing could have pulled 1/2 the hairs right out of the scalp

your best bet is leave them alone switch what yiu wash with so your not adding weakness and the ones that are real worrisome combine with any thin ones nearby (you can also wrap in loose hair or  bead in loose hair instead of a nearby dread)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
blueblade
@blueblade
8 years ago
2 posts

Ok, I will order a bar right away.  I had wondered if wrapping would help, but couldn't find any info to confirm.  I assume I'd leave them wrapped for months?  Thanks for your quick reply!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

yea typically 3 months is what it takes most people to really fuse them together

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form