Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Unsure on New Forming Dreads

Raven's Light
@ravens-light
8 years ago
346 posts

So I am a little indecisive about what I should do with some of the hair that is now forming into new dreadlocks, some of them look really cool on their own and I feel like I want to separate them from other existing dreads they are trying to join with, but part of me feels like I'm fighting what is meant to be....but I also have this same debate about just letting my hair go and totally free-form my hair...but that is a topic for a different post.

Thoughts, advice?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

as long as they aren't headed towards being too thick you can let whatever happens happen..meaning if you one day separate them absentmindedly while separating others so be it if it just happens to connect and become one.. so be it

for many years i did no separating now i separate after using the dreadlockshampoo.com liquid (otherwise everything tries to dread together) and every so often without really thinking i realize i separated some but i have many that started to form into a new dread (after using  the liquid) got separated once the next time i used it then never again and just became like a little bud growing off the older dread..

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
8 years ago
346 posts

Yeah I'm trying to be more relaxed about separating them (keyword trying, LOL)....throughout the life of my dreads I have separated them regularly, kinda find it hard to keep my hands off my hair in general....I do think I will still actively keep an eye on two developing baby dreads, which are on either side of my head and one rather formed one on the back, all because I really like they are forming and I want to see how they turn out without them getting eaten. I mean I did already have one of the other baby dreads get absorbed into an existing dread, but it made that one thicker so it's all good. But yeah, on the whole, I think I will keep an eye on those three as I want them to be their own dreads....well that one onthe back anyway, if the other two get eaten so be it.

On a related note, I did see this video on youtube that showed someone with 10-year-old freeforms that some were nearly totally congoed together, and it is possible to separate them as long as they are not 100 meshed, so I'm not too worried if I ever get some really far conjoined that I don't want to have conjoined...although she did go to a loctition to help get them separated and she cut them like jaw length from pretty long, due to the weight being a bit much for her personally.

I have included the link in this post if anyone is interested in seeing the video in question I can post the link here.

...the youtuber who put up this video actually started a new set of dreads totally freeform and they look really good so far. 

updated by @ravens-light: 10/07/16 09:54:48PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

after a point ..surgically cutting is the only option but l;octicians don't exercise surgical precision\

what id do is cut //like a mm in to the webbimng then pull  all i can repeat..like your just trying to release the bare min numbers of hairs to allow a lil separation

its a last resort  thing

--
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
8 years ago
346 posts

I had originally declined from posting the video in question by here it is for clarification:

I hope this video is alright to post. 

updated by @ravens-light: 10/08/16 10:45:29AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

that  literaly breaks every single hair in the dread ..thousands of times each hair

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

think about how the hairs lie inside the dreadlock, chaotiicly criss crossing in every direction  twisting around eachother every which way, you split a dread like that and  literally every single hair in it  is shreaded into pieces of an average length of 1 inch

at that point..instead of splitting i would say comb it out let it resection and redread

id prefer to not let it get that thick so it causes issues, but once the issue exist the best thing to do is start it over...

ripping a dozen  hairs that are between..not inside a dread is 1 thing.. tearing straight down through the entire structure of a dread breaking every single hair .. quite possibly several hundred times per every inch of  dread length.. just isn't worth it

--
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
8 years ago
346 posts

So thus is why it's better to either stay on top of separating dreads or to just them be if they've really combined like it was in her case?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

exactly

f its like an inch connected..and not completely solid then by all means separate

once its solid its best to leave alone

again if its a few inches, and rather solid ..and way too thick ..its a judgement call you can separate with as little harm possible if done with extreme care and surgical precision .. but i don't recommend that ever for entire dreads, and always recommend that as a last resort and starting over by gently combing out and allowing smaller sections to dread is ofcourse preferable

i understand people years in not wanting to start over ..even 1 or 2 dreads

but you have to look at the total damage and the length of the section being damaged'

a couple inches compared to the entire dread length...

i really hesitate to recommend separation of anything that's solidly locked together.. even if its just an inch or 2 i say starting overs best but if you cant ..heres how to minimize the harm...

but if  its an entire lock.. i don't think theres any justification for that level of harm... 10 years dreading might come close.. but cutting off 8 years growth at the same time eliminates that justification altogether

cutting 8 years growth and splitting many into 3 or more..she should have just started over a whole new set and keot them a lil more controlled if that was her desire

--
Irie
@irie
8 years ago
41 posts

How big is too big?
I know Ive heard "its all about what you like and if you like how it looks it doesnt matter"
I can only imagine a lock that in a 3inch by 3inch (heaven forbid) section would be near miserable to try drying.
Also I could imagine at that point you may end up getting "tugging" making it uncomfortable because its pulling at your scalp.

If thats the case is 1 inch okay? My friend is a licensed cosmetologist, I was thinking maybe once a month going to her and having her make sure nothing is locking in larger than a 1 to 1 1/2 inch sections.
Just to clarify all she would do is separate them by hand if they are getting too large, nothing else.

updated by @irie: 10/08/16 11:55:53PM
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form