Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Soap Residues

P3RMAamp
@p3rmaamp
8 years ago
80 posts

Hi. I've been a long time lurker of the site but only now decided to join since I have actually dedicated myself to the journey of dreading instead of contemplating.

As noted in my profile I currently use no products in my hair, just water. The water I rinse my hair with is mostly rain water(soft water thus somewhat cleansing). The main reason for stopping all products on my hair was to let my scalp reset from years of hundreds of different products. Also to slow down oil production prior to even starting dreads. Only this past week have I stopped combing my hair(I've decided to do it the natrual way as aposed to the failed T&R method I used last time. 

Now I do have a question. I understand that the best soap for dreads is a residue free soap. I see many of the ones recommended are still made from saponified oils/fats. Which makes sense as that is the definition of soap where as others are detergents instead. It was my understanding that saponified oils/fats leave residue or is it only the superfatted ones that do? And if so what percentage constitutes as superfatted? I am a soap maker myself so if I can make my own hair soap I would like to.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

well superfatted shampoos do leave residues, mostly in hard water

check out the liquids and bars on www.dreadlockshampoo.com for what i believe are the best (the liquid for young dreads bars when mature)

notice they are not mostly saponified oils but beer based, with microfine clays and essential oils (i think there are some saponified oils as well0 but the beer (all organic everything ) makes it perfect for hard water and the clays super clean without residue (i tried making residue as a test ..using almost a whole bar ground into 1 dread or way too much of the liquid) and literally couldn't.. the liquid if u use a lil too much takes extra rinsing and you get a tunb full of  suds but the bars rinsed out with so much ease

i always am thorough with rinsing anyway but they do rinse easy

depending on your water you can get away with stuff like bronners (diluted a lot) too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
P3RMAamp
@p3rmaamp
8 years ago
80 posts

Thank you. I have ordered a bottle from them. It should be here Monday. My scalp is very sensitive and reacts to most every shampoo I've tried so hopefully I won't react to it. With where I work however I know it's imperative that I wash my hair unless I want dreads that smell of goat and sour milk. 

My tap water is hard and chlorinated but since I try to collect rain water to wash my hair with it shouldn't be an issue. 

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

if it reacts  theres a bar that's free of all essential oils

--
P3RMAamp
@p3rmaamp
8 years ago
80 posts

I tried the shampoo. My scalp is a bit itchy but not overly so. Having not seen soap in so long I imagine that's normal. It sure appears to be helping it knot up and I can't complain that my hair smells yummy(I got goddess). 

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

they all smell yummy but goddess is definitely the most feminine

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form