Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Question About Deep Cleasing

Raven's Light
@ravens-light
8 years ago
346 posts

I have a question about deep cleaning dreads. I have been using the baking soda and apple cider vinegar deep clean for about 2 years (about every 1-2 months) recently it was brought to my attention on here that this method of deep cleaning may not be good for your hair due to the baking soda....I was wondering if given the every 1-2 month timeline I've been doing, A) if that would be actually damaging to my hair long term/ if it could still be used on my hair or if it should be stopped completely and B) aside from the charcoal deep clean from dreadlockshampoo (which I am not sure if it is available for purchased yet) is there an herbal soak/rinse I can do to deep clean my hair like the BS/ACV soak did?

I was also wondering if it was a bad idea to use just ACV as a soak? Leaving out the baking soda since I was told it can weaken dreads over time. I ask this question because I usually do this cleanse regularly using the above timeline and it as been about 3 months (according to my calendar) since last I did this soak, but I am not sure I want to use it if it can damage my hair, but I still feel I need something that will do the same sort of job, and as of late I have been drawn more and more to the idea of doing more herbal soaks then I used to.

Thanks for any advice you can give me, on herbal rinses or especially about if the normal deep clean is safe or not, given the timeline I normally use it at.

addendum: I just read on another dreadlocks website that " Thyme –Deep cleanses the scalp follicle to remove build and debris that keeps hair from growing. Deep cleanses pores on the face of bacteria. Sage — Deep cleansing and purifying herb for skin care and hair care products." Granted this is from the site http://ragingrootsstudio.com/ so not sure how good the information is....As one can tell I am looking for a rinse/soak that does the same job as the BS/ACV cleanse but doesn't damage, and one that I can make myself rather than having to buy one online.

updated by @ravens-light: 10/19/16 09:10:57AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

that site completely ruined a friends dreads by suggesting sulpher for dandruff..which after many months she could not get the stink out and had to cut them off

although those herbs  might deep clean the follicles ..i can't say for sure it certainly wont be the same effect you are seeking

the bs/acv probably is ok to use on ocassion

i can't say for certain whether its the bs, or acv that actually weakens the hair since acv is pretty acidic

both are harsh.. 1 can be used to clean the acid corrosion of car battery terminals, the other cleans sticky grease covered floors in resteraunts..both are harsher and stronger then needed (charcoal on the other hand is used to filter water and purify it, and internally used to absorb toxins poisons, and drug overdoses

have you ever tried drinking a bottle of acv?  

you probly don't need to deep cleans as much as you think you do

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
8 years ago
346 posts

You are probably right about not needing to deep clean as often as I do. So if it is ok to use it on occasion would deep cleaning every 3 months be better for my hair or should I go for maybe every 6 months or like doing it once a year? Also, I just wanted to clarify something with using the BS/ACV deep clean, you don't mix the ingredients together, correct? You do the baking soda soak then the vinegar soak, right?

updated by @ravens-light: 08/05/16 01:45:52PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

right! if you mix them you cause a violent chemical reaction (the one used to cause an eruption in sci fair volcanoes) this makes carbonic acid ..not what you want

--
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
8 years ago
346 posts

Ok, so as for how often I should use it should it be like 3 months or like 6-12 months?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

no schedule only when you really feel theres no other option

--
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
8 years ago
346 posts

Ok, so other than that, just be darn sure I have all the shampoo washed out...although I already am washing my hair for about 17 minutes when I shower...hoping it does get longer and longer as my dreads get longer. LOL

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

i wash mine a lot longer it probly takes 17 min just to get it wet enough to wash

--
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
8 years ago
346 posts

ok so then eventually, I am looking at a half-hour to an hour potentially as my eventual situation...although I don't actually plan to get them as long as you have them...although I GREATLY respect the length, I'm sure so sure I can deal with that much weight...although time will tell....still not sure HOW to trim them when the time comes.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

the weights no big deal

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form