Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Shampoo content problem

Boyante
@boyante
8 years ago
3 posts
Hello all. I'm Boyante and I'm Nigerian (African).

I'm new to dreads and 2 weeks in with the neglec method. I want to get everything right the first time hence my question about shampoo.

I Intend to get the soap soaring eagle recommends but due to financial and other logistic issues I can't get them now, at least for the next 6 months.

I have a locally made shampoo I use before dread, I want to know if it will be okay to use this for the next 6 months.

Here are it's contents

Deionized water, antisol, menthol, soda ash, sodium laureth, sulphate, euxyl, common salt, method salicylate, colourant and fragrance.

Is this okay, if not what are my options?

My hair is African hair. Usually dry and doesn't get oily, does get itchy though if left for a while without wash.

Thanks
updated by @boyante: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
Boyante
@boyante
8 years ago
3 posts
  1. Also is using a hair oil bad? The oil is completely natural. 

Ingredients

Almond, coconut,  cast and black seeds

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

the sodium laurel sulphate is a skin irritant, that causes cancer dry itchy scalp etc if  you avoid that and hot water and wash often enough you shouldn't need any oils (or rarely)

i'm uncertain about the rest in that shampoo, it looks like very few ingredients so likely might be ok except for the sls which was recommended be removed from all products

heres the thing with sls..yes it can cause dandruff psoriasis etc  causing irritated itchy skin

but its also a cancer risk..though a minor 1 if you only used 1 product with sls

but if you read the ingredients in most cleaning products including toothpaste and mouthwash its in almost all of them

that makes it a significant cancer risk since its in almost everything you use

so because of that 1 single ingredient id not recommend it

you could most likely get dr bronners in Africa and use that for now (dilute it a lot ..like 12 ior more times more water then soap)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Boyante
@boyante
8 years ago
3 posts

Wow. Thanks for taking your time to write such a concise reply... 

Little wonder,  I was getting slight itch after washing thrice with no oils or conditioner afterwards. I'm dumping this pronto and  try to get the one you recommend. 

Thanks again  

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form