Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Just starting with questions!

Melosfear
@melosfear
8 years ago
7 posts
Hey everyone! I just started my dread journey a month and a half ago. So far I'm totally loving the experience of it. I'm going for the neglect method mostly but I try to keep some of vickis locking gel and/or the sea salt accelerator in at almost all times. I twist the tips fairly regularly as well but mostly because I read twisting tips more often will make them become blunt faster? Not sure how true that is. But anyway, I was just hoping for some feedback on the progress and if I'm in a good spot for the time frame or not! Thanks everyone :)
image.jpg
image.jpg  •  144KB

image.jpg
image.jpg  •  154KB

image.jpg
image.jpg  •  183KB

image.jpg
image.jpg  •  149KB

updated by @melosfear: 01/03/18 07:27:43AM
Melosfear
@melosfear
8 years ago
7 posts

And if you hadn't noticed from the pictures I've been having a slight/moderate dandruff issue. In aware it can't totally be prevented but does anyone have tips on what to do? I wash with the Rosemary and green tea shampoo every 3-4 days as well as every 3rd wash or so I will use ACV. It does help a little bit but not completely. The itchiness and severity of it has been slowly but surely gotten a lot better so I guess I'm more concerned with how to get rid of all the leftover flakes? I usually wear a dread tube or something similar so you can't see as much either way, but it does cause some self consciousness. Thanks again!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

your way over using he sea salt and gel wich will dry the hell out of the scalp

why do you want the tips to  blunt that wil only make them take 5 times longer to dry and you have a couple that are pretty fat and likely to mold with blunt tips

so ..stop using the gel and sea salt (use the sea salt rarely no more then once a week the gels mostly for natural dreads that are very very dread resistant it helps hold sections loosely together so they can start to knot

and stop messing with the tips!

ps use cold water when washing

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
3_little_birds2316
@carolbrennan
8 years ago
60 posts

Yeah I definitely agree with soaring eagle that you want to limit the use of sea salt.  I live by the beach (lucky, I know)  so I try to go swimming in the ocean once a week.  I had some issues with light dandruff but as my scalp has normalized it has gone down.  My dreads are only 1 month old currently.  I use the lock in up shampoo 2x  a week and do not do any thing else to them.  Your ends will blunt naturally over time if they want to.  My husband really blunted his ends and now they're thicker than the rest of his dreads and takes more drying time.

Good luck to you in your journey!

--
Livin' wild and free in NC

Follow my dreadlock journey on instagram: @3_little_birds2316
Melosfear
@melosfear
8 years ago
7 posts

Thanks to both of you for the advice, it's really helpful! I'll back off on the products, I guess the reviews and such I read on them made it seem like people are using them daily (which they might be i guess lol) but it's good to know I don't need to do that. Hopefully that will clear up the dandruff issues i've been having as well. Another question for you guys is are there any pro's or cons to wearing a hat at this stage in the process? I cut the top off of a stocking cap and have been wearing it basically like an oversized headband or a smaller version of a dread tube, i've made sure its a fairly loose hat so it doesnt restrict the hair too much. Still I'm curious if that is impacting me negatively or not?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

yes it can slow progress and encourage it to congo into 1 dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
3_little_birds2316
@carolbrennan
8 years ago
60 posts

Yep, ditch the hat, headbands, etc.  Anything that limits the movement of the hair.  I keep mine down 95% of the time.  I will use a loose headband or pony if I want my hair off my face but definitely not using it all the time

--
Livin' wild and free in NC

Follow my dreadlock journey on instagram: @3_little_birds2316
Melosfear
@melosfear
8 years ago
7 posts

Okay thanks! I'll do that then as well. I want my dreads to be done in the best way so they are lasting so I appreciate it. I'll take the advice of loose ponytail as well. I was mostly wearing the headband because I work construction and having the hair all over my face can be frustrating at work. 

Melosfear
@melosfear
8 years ago
7 posts

Hey guys! It's been 3 weeks now since you told me to quit using product and quit twisting, so I'm here with an update! First off any dandruff/dry scalp issues I had has either completely disappeared or significantly been reduced which I'm so grateful for!! At first the lack of maintenance and noticing my hair get messier and messier bothered me a bit but I got over that pretty fast with the itch relief! I also have been really enjoying that I am noticing new knots and actually 'feeling' the hair making progress and it's pretty exciting. I'll post a few pictures of how it looks now. Thanks again guys, and if you have any other suggestions let me know!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg  •  200KB

image.jpeg
image.jpeg  •  176KB

image.jpeg
image.jpeg  •  162KB

image.jpeg
image.jpeg  •  166KB

image.jpeg
image.jpeg  •  161KB

image.jpeg
image.jpeg  •  191KB