Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Ugh.. I used styling gel to start. Please help.

happydreads
@happydreads
8 years ago
4 posts

Alright, I was in love with dreadlocks since I was a young hippie. Then one day, in a magazine I saw a temporary dread hairsytle involving some product that needs to be washed out sooner rather than later after use and a flat iron. It looked great day 1, and I fell in love all over again. I needed to get me some dreads, for real. The style claims to last around two weeks if done correctly and you have the right hair type. I don't wash with shampoo much, nor fancy brushing because of my hair type, which when brushed out blows up to about half the size of europe. I've kept the style for three days or so now, and the dreads are beginning to form alright, but the gel near my roots has caused some common unpleasant itching.. and the style of course is falling out to give way to real  dreads. Today is Thursday, I started Monday. I want to wash on Sunday, but this itch might just drive me crazy, and i'm worried as to what happens when/if the styling gel gets stuck in the dreads.. if that happens at all. I'm just not sure where to go from here; start over with a thourough washing and brushing, let it be for two more weeks, or stick it out till Sunday. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Also, i've had a similar habit like other users here of wearing a hat because I work around animals, i don't think i could stand smelly *and* itchy dreads. Nor do i want them, heh. Would this hinder my growing process further? 

IMG_0504[1].JPG.jpg
IMG_0504[1].JPG.jpg  •  130KB

IMG_0527.JPG.jpg
IMG_0527.JPG.jpg  •  122KB

IMG_0528.JPG.jpg
IMG_0528.JPG.jpg  •  133KB

IMG_0529.JPG.jpg
IMG_0529.JPG.jpg  •  131KB

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

just wash now ..  thouroughly.. get the gel out!  also make sure those sections arent too big

your hairs perfect..and i mean perfect for natural dreading so why youd start them manualy with products.. well  confuses me  ..howed you manage to prevent dreads this long

anyway the hat will slow progress  but so will the gel!

getting that outs all that matters now

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
happydreads
@happydreads
8 years ago
4 posts

Thanks for the prompt reponse, guess ill go do that now.. 

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

if your itchy and feeling dirty theres no reason to wait to wash

especially if you got gel in there you want to get out

you might need a clarifying shampoo but a vinager rinse might do the trick too

like 1/4 cup acv to 10 cups water ..lil stronger then id recomend for young dreads but will hopefully help get the gel out and avoid having to get a clarifying shampoo

--
happydreads
@happydreads
8 years ago
4 posts

Hm. I read somewhere else that you should wait a week or so before your first wash to allow your hair to knot a bit. Then, once its together a little, washing gets easier. 

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

nah  see most of us here did nothing but wash and let it knot, washing is what makes it dread

yes if you manualy start them they will loosen a bit when you wash but thats fine

you didnt have to start them you could have just washed and not brushed and it would dread

every wash causes it to knot then when you sl,eep they compress

some people /especialy if they go to a salon might not wash for the entire 1st year! just afraid of them loosening.. but then they have to force them to dread because they arent being washed

i think most people here who use twist and rip or something to start typicaly want to wash by day 3 or 4

when you feel you should wash then wash

--
happydreads
@happydreads
8 years ago
4 posts

Thank you again, i feel much much better now that my hair is washed free of its gelly prison, and it can dread on its own. Some really don't wash for an entire year?!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

many with salon dreads  yes they refrain from washing up to a year then wash every 2-3 months  and they still call natural dreads dirty and nasty even if they were just washed  that day

its weird how they get programmed to think that way

but hey we had 1 guy who hadnt washed his in 8 years, they were 1/4 the length of mine but more then twice the weight ..he was cutting them cause of the weight

we had another who hadnt washed in 4 or 5 and he said "my hairs still red it can't be that dirty"  as if  he wouldn't wash it till it turned black

i remember when i lived in the city if i went 3 days without a shower  i could scrape this black grunge off my skin that would cake under my nails..all airborn..  (i was told its mostly motor oil and tire rubber thats just in the air from al the cars) i couldnt imagine letting that all build up in my hair

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form