dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Itchy Scalp along with root thinning and balding from retwisting

Mozeki
@mozeki
10 years ago
6 posts

Hello DreadlocksSite community!

For a little over a year now I've had serious scalp itching near the crown area of my head. It feels good to scratch it, like its relieving stress or something, but I try to control touching my scalp too much at the same time. In 2011, I had a big dread that fell out without any previous issues arising. Timeskipping 3 years later another dread has become incredibly thin and has officially fallen out near the crown area.

Quick Background:

I originally had my dreads started by a relative who used all natural oil products; coconut and olive oil in particular. My maintainence for quite some time was 2-3 months Re-twist at the salon, but I've been hesistant in ever returning after reading some of the topics on this board. In 2014 a majority of my maintainence has been simply wash using head and shoulders dandruff shampoo, Ketoconazole 2% on a bi-weekly basis, along with Doo gro Mega Thick Gro daily and Jamaican Black Castor Oil 4 times a week.

Since I know hair growing cycles also take health into factor. I will say physically I'm in good condition according to my doctor with the exceptions of low Vitamin D and B12. Psychology wise we will not delve too deep into at this point.

Current Problem:

The first picture below is August 2014.

The Second photo is Last Week

The third photo is also last week

The fourth is August 2013

The fifth is October 1 2014

The sixth is July 2014, The seventh is November 2013

August 2014

updated by @mozeki: 02/14/15 08:18:10AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,639 posts

ok rthe bald spots are absolytely typical of twisting now u say iu only retwisted every 2-3 months for a couple years? that salon should be sued they must have been twisted sevgerely tight sincethats the kida damage youd see after a decade of weekly twisting or well 5 months of daily even few times a day twisting the good newsis that a year later you have alot of recovery now is it tyhe balded areas that are itchiest im not certain but could be just the blood vessels coming back to life like when u sit on your hand for a few hours then hasve that intence tingling as the circulation returns but thats a thoery only

now the shampoos u use are no good for dreads atall and they build up and although h&s is made for dandruff its very toxic and 1 of the ingredients (found in most shamooois) is a skin iritant thats known to cause dandruff psoriasis dermatitis hair loss and suspected cancer and tye cancer socierty recomends it be removed frrom all cosmetics since its in everything toothpastes soaps u name it anytging that has lather unless it says sulphates free the lathers cauysed by 1 form of sls or another sodium laurel sulphate sodium lareth sulphide etc etc

now the good news is www.dreadlockshampoo.com teatree rosemary bars wil take care of dandruff amazingly now 1 thinkg i love about vicki is when she sees ppl complain about issues she intentionaly gives herself those issues in order to develop a cure to create wax b gone she absolutely caked 1 of her dreads in a ton of wax rot knot she didnt make her dreads rot ofcourse but used it on mold and mildew in her bathroom that no industrial strength mold and mildew killer killed and recently to give herseld scalp issues and intence itch she stopped washing till her scalp was crusty chunky and itching insanely

so theres 2 new products comming soon that are not on the website yet 1 is a great dread consditioner that conditions the scalp too

the other is a no itch spray that fixes the cause of itches it is awesome useit once aweek and your itch free completely with a healthy happy scalp

the conditioners got lables printed ready ti go the spray not yet i got the prototype yesterday and using it tomorow

note the sprays got a strongish herbal scent simular to oregeno as the herbs in that family but stronger

youdhave to send a request for them in the contact form theres no prices set for either and the itch spray has no name yet but tell her soaringeagle said to send you the 2 new products she sent me the itch spray and conditioner those and the teatree rosemary bars and no more hot water should do the trick fotr the itching now the thin spots massage them with oil like pepermint that stimulates bloodflow try to massage not scratch and do me favor in the note to vicky tell her i suggest 1 more nrew product for traction alopecia a combo of placenta and biotin together they will help that regrow fast so if u tell her i suggested it shed be developing it just for you (and future traction alopecia salon victims)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mozeki
@mozeki
10 years ago
6 posts

Wow I wasn't aware my shampoo was so damaging to dreadlocks. How can you tell my issue is Traction Alopecia? It is usually the thinner areas that have the itching in it.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,639 posts

its easy toi tell its absoli=utelky typical rraction alopecia caused by twisting tighteningthe roots is tension tension is traction tight roots cause traction alopeciua in 95% that tighten thge roots by force and you started recovering right when you stopped twusting yiu see its growing bvack now

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,639 posts

id get rid of anything 'mega thick" too thats justg residue biotin as as dietary supliment 10,000 mg or more gaily will help growth biotin and placenta treatment on the scalp will help regrowth

--
peenee
@peenee
10 years ago
1 posts
Perhapsit is hereditary what does your mom or dad head looks like? Do they have balding hair? It sounds like the products you use are naturaI have you considered your diet? Well next time you get it twisted I wouldn't touch that part
Mozeki
@mozeki
10 years ago
6 posts

Ah, I left out that bit of information. I'm 22, my parents are in there early 40s without signs of major hairloss, especially in the crown area. I've always had a bigger forehead, but now its a lot more pronounced than theirs! My diet has always been horrendous as I have a eating disorder along with stress levels skyrocketing. I've been seeking help with stress levels for awhile as well.

Your absolutely right Soaring Eagle, the moment I stopped re-twisting I've been noticing new growth. The only problem is how small my roots come out as opposed to the thickness my tips have, It's almost as if they were funneled to become smaller and refuse to go back. I'm going to look into purchasing the rosemary shampoo bar to replace my current shampoo choice. Are there any other products that have been already released and not in the testing phases like the other two supplements you mentioned? Also should I keep the same regime but with better products?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,639 posts

wsashing oftens good min 1-2 times a eeek

peeneew its absolutely nioyt hereditart]y asthen it wouldnt grow back its 100% twisying

though stress and diert matter ss well

i recomend a good vegatarian diet

and meditation or at least consouse breathe work as a relaxation technique

just controlled breathing can do so much forf you

the products arent really in testing phase theyare ready to go just shes always sloe getting them ion the site andf well the itch spray she is attempting to tweak the scent a bit

some ppl arenttoo into the scent

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,639 posts

tyhe forehgead had u used tight styles like cornrows always pulled back tightly etc

olook in featured discussions for the ones on traction alopecia and locs

40% of all african americans get traction alopecia fronm braids cornrows weaves anbd too tight dreads

with salon dreads its like 95%

almost everyone that callsthem locs not dreads is at high risk

--
Mozeki
@mozeki
10 years ago
6 posts

no, before 2009 my hair was always a #2 at the barber so the damage shouldn't be from a lifetime of traction alopecia, I was born with high forehead, but my hairline used to be much straighter. When I started my dreads I was prevalent of TA near hairline so I always tried to make sure it wasn't super tightly done, but still hairloss.

With my dreads, I've curled them, put them in braids, put them in ponytail, and buns from time to time My default style lately is letting them hang freely.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form