Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreadie-or-not

Stubby
@stubby
10 years ago
36 posts

Maybe somebody could help me by answering this question. I have been on this journey since February. I have 13 or 14 knots at the bottom of my hair.The shafts of hair are dreading up nicely. I see so many people on here with their timelines of their dread journey. There is nobody that I have seen on here that have all these knots at the bottom of their hair. Here is my question....Is the shaft of my hair going to become as big around as these knots, or am I going to have these knots at the end of these smaller shafts of hair. I sure hope not. But if that is the case dreadie-or-not. here I come

updated by @stubby: 01/13/15 10:06:05PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

u might

i have 1 like that in my beard and a few in my dreads its unlikely that every dread will be that way but some might

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ZoeyRainsMom
@zoeyrainsmom
10 years ago
122 posts

I am a year and a half in and have the beavertail like knots on almost every dread. My locks are all nice and rope like and then they have the big ol knot at the bottom. Some of them have started to compress and become rather hard but they're not going anywhere.

Stubby
@stubby
10 years ago
36 posts

thank you awesome folks for your response.

taye
@taye
10 years ago
833 posts

The majority of my dreads do that. Almost all of them are thicker on the tips because of the weird knots that form. They round out eventually but will always be thicker.

Stubby
@stubby
10 years ago
36 posts

Hi Taye. My strands have balls at the end and have already rounded out as you call them. Do you think that the strands will get as big around as the balls or around the same size. I don't like the way they look, but I guess I'll have to live with it. every pic I see on here is of people that don't have balls at the end of their dreads. I think my hair doesn't look so good because of the balls. my hair is so totally different than other people on this site. I know that different can be good but I think this different is not. I guess I'm feeling a little insecure about my dreads. I've been growing these dreads for about 9 months. It is taking foreeeever.

Arkynstone GypsyFae
@arkynstone-gypsyfae
10 years ago
37 posts

They're totally normal. :) If you palm roll the dreads the medallions will thin out a little, but they'll still do that naturally (at least a little) if you are doing free-form. I had some HUGE medallions for a bit, and almost every one of my dreads had one. I'm 10.5 months in (free form) and they are evening out well enough for my liking. I did palm roll one or two of the larger ones a couple of times while they were wet but then realized that I am more interested in letting them be natural and whatever shape they become naturally than fidgeting with them constantly. The shafts will thicken as the dreads tighten but you may still have medallions.

Love your locs! If you feel the need to tame them a little, roll them a bit every now and again. It's about what makes YOU happy! :)

taye
@taye
10 years ago
833 posts

My dreads make medallion shaped knots on the ends. These knots start curving into them selves and then round out.and form round balls on the ends. The 1st picture gives an example of a few of the baby dreads on my head. They have already gone through the medallion stage and have turned into balls. The tips will always be a bit thicker because there is so much more hair balled up than there will ever be on the rest of the dread. The second picture is showing a 7 year old dread. See how it is so much fatter on the end? It is my most extreme one. So yes....those balls will always be thicker, but they will not be as noticeable It does not bother me at all that they are fatter on the tips.It is just the way mother nature wants my hair to knot. What bothers me is when people tell me that I should leave my tips undreaded. LOL I do not have a choice in the matter. I have even combed out a tip or two but guess what? It just does it again! Embrace it and love it ! It is your dreads and your journey. Don't worry about what other peoples dreads look like and never compare them to yours! Yours are unique and beautiful! And have lots of personality!!!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form