Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

the future of dreadlockssite and testers needed

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

since the upgrade process to dreadlockssite 3.0 is taking way longer then expected ,..a year longer then expected and communications with the developers has broken down. i will be experimenting with moving to a completely diferent platform that still gives us the benifits of mobile responsive design but has a far diferent structure that may or may not be good for us

each individual profile would get thiwer own forums thier own blogs thier own photo and videio galleries and then adminsd will pick and choose what content to showcase as part of the main site features

at least this is the vague understanding of it i have at this point before even installing on a test domain

here is what i need

5-10 or more users to test the functionalioty and help develop thge design features (no coding experiencve needed just an eye for details abnd can help me decide what looks best and how the layouts work on diferent devices)

and 1-2 or 3 ppl with some basic web site development/ management cms experience incase we run inmto some issues

the testing will go like this

1 installing the software on a self histed site on a test domain ill bde doing this in mmomments

2 playing around with it to see what it can do and see if it cxan serve our purposeses

3 and or 4 not sure wich wuill be done 1st but importing all sdata from this site in archived form and designing the look feel and layout

5 thourough testing of all features and making sire data transfrered properly

6 showing this test network to the community and voting to see if we should use the p;latform or not

if wed decide to go ahead with the platform a new fresh archive will be created a new instalation will be created on this domain on the server the data will be imported tested and then the new site brought up live

and finaly 7 theres a good chance that we will need a server upgrade at that time and will most likely consider moving to a cloud based server system for maximum performance

note however that this is very experimental at this stage the platform is designed around bands and artists for showcasing thier works but it should be modifyable enoighh to fit our needs..i think

i have not given up on the 3.0 upgrade to dreadlockssite yet because it has some awesome potential

but mobile trafic on dreadlocjkssite has increased to 65%-87% and the upgrade is desperatelyneecded sooner rather then later

and because its looking like it can take another 4-6 months to finish the 3.0 platform, and with alot of people losing faith in the partent company that bought the platform it is reasonable to explore other options

this may or may not work for us but im playing with it as a possible alternative plan and want several people to experiment along with me as i figure out what we can do with it

this is very important to move quickly if we are able to use this,.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/14/15 12:27:10PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

note:

just to test this out i am having to upgrade the server that the shops and dating sites on to a cloud server

luckily ive been overpaying for a year and just got a 900 dolar refund plus left enough credit to have no payments for 3 months so now it light be only 2 months

i amn also in the process of trying to buy a log cabin and move into it..a tiny 1 and buy a parrot

so every cent of that refunds going to bed gone in the nnext couple weeks

i am really hoping this works out as we desperatelyneed the site upgrade right away and waiting another 4-6 months for 3.0 to be completed while paying forr both sitres plus the subdomain servers riugh

the good news is that this softwars freee but we might require to buy several pluginns to get the full functionality we need

so then the only cost will be the server costs and even if thats doubled with the cloud upgrade it should even out to about what im paying now for all the sites together since they will be all on 1 server with no added monthly fees

--
Sting.Rey
@stingrey
10 years ago
42 posts
Count me in SE. I have been using an Apple iOS device & have found it easier to go through the non mobile full site. It has been a bit clunky but I made it work.
Kao Ganavi
@kao-ganavi
10 years ago
12 posts

I actually am pursuing towards my web developing certificate right now! Let me know if you need some testing to be done, even though I just started not to long ago I can do some testing if you like.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

awesome

sting rey haveu tried the ww3 site out that should be easy on any device

but its taking way too loing tio complete

and thats why im looking into another alternative

kao awesome ill let u in on the inside as soon as its installed and you can help me poke around and figure it all out

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

oh 1 more thying

every profile can have its own ecommerce shops

because theres no donation request or anything like that we might have a "premium membership' for a couple bucks a month or a few bucks a year to enable the ecommerce shops

only because theres a chance that upgrading to a dedicated cloud server (hopefully much faster then the siteis now) might be a good bit more then im now paying for all the sites combined ..but unsure yet

--
H2E TRAINING
@h2e-training
10 years ago
1 posts

hey i can test on many ubuntu versions and chrome os , may also be able to look at code for errors for chrome os or ubuntu depending on schedule. let me know. -B

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

awesome

and a quick note, i had to change froim cloud to dedicated server due to the sheer size of the network we are 1 of the largest as far as data goes the dedicated option i chosze was about the exact same price as tyhe cloud but alows enough hard drive space for years of growsth

and i believe we will be able to do unolimmited music uploads instead of only 100 songs

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

more exciting updates

musicians, get excoited your profile will now be able to feature your music and sell it direct from your profile

crafters artists everyone will be able to sell anything from thier profiles but its especialy originaly designed to sell music

profiles can choose a landing page this meanswhen youy click your profile you can be brought to an about me page, directly to your shop, or to a blog or anything eolse you choose.\

i am considering multiple options including

outside of tyhe dreadlocks forums havging a massive "other forums" section that canb cover a very wide range of subjects but still be sepwseratred from the dreadlockjs foirums to not interfere confuse or 'muddy up' the main focus of the site

every profile can have its own forums blogs whatever

im thinking of multiple options to cover costs including

we can have the shops be freee then a paid premium upgrade to bve featured,..or have a very low cost to have a shop and a slightly higher 1 to bhe featured (like a dollar a month otr 8 dollars a year or 2.50 a month or 15 a year foir featured)

considering the possibility of setting some limit on uploads like 500 pictures 100 songs 50 vids but then a cheap upgrade alows unlimmited (and includes the shop) plus gives you a chance to have your own forum in the main forums (ie if theres no forum for earth bag homes and thats your passion then you can have an earth bag homes forum completeky run by you) or for that matter a 'pattiesd playhouse' randomn nonsence and silliness forum ..anything you want your own personal forum taken off your profile and added to the main forums

im considering multiple options as far as profile upgrades are concerned

and am 100% interested in alowing your input on all final desicions to make it fair f9or all i also wajnt it to not really limmit anyone in how they use it instead be just a lil added thajnk you for supporting bonus and i want it to be extremely affordable to anhbyone even those who are living out of a car on the road ..costimg mno moredthen change yoiu can find on the street if it came to that

it is clear though that we will need some minor support to cover server costs especialy if any futi=ure upgrades are needed

now the final gfood news

the dedicated servers online

the subdomains will be migrating to it in thed next hour otr 2

and then i will begin playing with the new site design

because i am now concidering making this a massive expansion i would love some help

we can devide into teams a few ppl work on each feature etc

i want to get it done fast and have the site fully upgraded within a month or less....if possible

weeks even if we can

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

quick update the subdomains are now on the new upgraded server

the archive files from the site are uploading this will take most of tyhe day then the script will be installed the data imported and ill begin playing with the redesign

structure 1st then style

in the meantime the subdomains like shops and dating should be faster

--
 / 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form