Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Need help with 2 month old dreads please

jamie conway
@jamie-conway
10 years ago
4 posts

Hi guys, so I began my dreadlock journey2 months ago using a combination of slightly back combing my roots and then proceeding with the twist and rip method,things were fine for the first few weeks but then i hit a fewbrick wallsand was wondering if you could offer some advice;

Firstly after about a month, all of the dreads at the nape of my neck have compeletely unravled, as well as the dreads on the sides of my head nearest to my ears, and have become just like normal hair again, i tried to leave them for as long as i could but they refused to lock back up, so i tried to re twist and rip which worked temporarily, but have again come unravled and left me with long strands of normal hair with no resemblance to the rest of my dreads, is this normal?

also, i usually wash my dreads every 2-3 days with ice cold water, lavender oil and a good scalp massage, along with an ACV/baking sodadeep clean at the end ofevery month, but I am suffering with alot of dandruff as well as a weird white oily gunk that comes from my scalp onto my fingers if i massage my scalp, i think this is sebum? is it normal or am i doing something wrong? (blame google and the endless results of sebum=baldness)

Lastly the loose hair! my dreads have soo much loose hair that they just look like an unbrushed bush on top of my head, and alot of them have begun to fall apart with one dread splitting into two looser ones, i try to ignore it and take it as part of the process, but alot of people comment on them and say that they have failed and maybe i should chrochet, shave them ect, which i dont want to do as ive read horror stories of of the crochet and dont want to shave them and give up, is it normal for dreads to do/look like this?

Sorry for so many querstions, i understand that at 2 months they are not even dreads yet,but I really need some advice so any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

updated by @jamie-conway: 02/14/15 02:20:29AM
Lauryn Dowding
@lauryn-dowding
10 years ago
48 posts

The loosening up and parts of it coming apart sounds completely normal, this happens to some people through their process. Just keep doing what you're doing and try not to panic about it (i did on my first set), as for the oily gunk coming off your fingers this could be something to do with the bs/acv. Have you tried doing the baking soda in hot water and waiting for it to cool as it won't dissolve like it's suppose to in cold water.

Peace and love.

Claire3
@claire3
10 years ago
36 posts

No, don't shave or crochet! I am only 11 weeks into my neglect journey but can answer somes things based off of what SE has discussed on here.

I believe most TnR will unravel. It just acts as a foundation- some may stay, but some may undo & it's just patience involved. Your dreadlings are still super young so they are going to be wild & rebellious with loose hairs, undone TnR, & so on. I think the key is patience.

I would try maybe getting some of Vicki's shampoo from dreadlockshampoo.com.

Good luck, love & light.

jamie conway
@jamie-conway
10 years ago
4 posts

thankyou for the replies, it's good to know that my dreads are not failing and that abit of patience will work wonders :) so is it worth it to keep redoing the ones that have come undone, or shall i just leave them totally alone to do their thing?

Also would palm rolling help? I would palm roll every few days when i first started, but read that palm rolling doesnt really have any effect, and if anything is more damaging then helpfull so i stopped, is this true? or should i resume with palm rolling

Lauryn Dowding
@lauryn-dowding
10 years ago
48 posts

Yep just leave the totally alone. Palm rolling doesn't have any effect on the dread accept maybe make them a bit neater with the loose hair for a couple of hours. Its also damaging since it can make the roots really thin with the rolling. Just wash, separate, have patience and enjoy the journey.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

well you are making a couple mistakes and i see a couple things my minions neglected to point out (hehe minions lol) and 1 minor correction..well not technically correction cause it was correct but only based on location

1 your not washing ..cold water and lavender oils a herbal rinse not wash and if u scrub your not helping just undoing

2 the loose34 hairs at the nape and ears ..and soon to be bangs all around the hairline are fare way finer and harder to dread..and will take years longer to dread and will always have loose hairs

3 tnr-ing again only resets progress to day 1 even falling apart completely is progress and tnr destrotys the progress so they never progress past a few days

4 the beautiful laurens one ofthose goofy talkers from across the puddle (geez im goofy b4 i drink my coffee) in the uk waters alkaline sobaking soda being alkaline too doesnmt dissolve well therefore the need to use boiling water..in anywhere else sold waters fine..but

5 the buildup mayu not be sebum but the bs scalp mud ppl often get when makimg the bs too weak it should be a 1-10 ratioof bs to water

6 when idiots say you should crochet simply tell them no i want dreads not stiff woven fake imitations.dreads take time ..a year and its only been weeks

yoir doing fine i would suggest tyhe liquid shampoo from dreadlockshmpoo.com or imncreasing bs/qacv to at least weekly or when u now do the water and oil

dont scrub dont towekl dr dont let fools get u downb

and dont go insane trying to decypher my typos just hafve some coffeee like im about to and u should be able to figuere it out

welcome

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lauryn Dowding
@lauryn-dowding
10 years ago
48 posts

I think i could live with being a minion! hehe. Take SE advice and just enjoy the freedom.

Peace and love.

jamie conway
@jamie-conway
10 years ago
4 posts
Im learning so much already haha! it is good to know now that loose dreads dont mean dead dreads:), I will be sure to increase the bs/acv rinse to once a week with a different ratio and boiling water until i can get hold of the liquid shampoo, hopefully that helps the gunkone last question though, when i do rinse them, i usually gently massage around the scalp and then let the water run down the dreads, so are you saying i should avoid rubbing around the scalp and roots when washing?Thanks again for the great advice, was starting to lose hope!
Lauryn Dowding
@lauryn-dowding
10 years ago
48 posts

You can rub the scalp just really gently, like you're stoking a baby bird haha

jamie conway
@jamie-conway
10 years ago
4 posts
Awesome, armed with all this new knowledge im looking forward to even sweeter dreads, now just to work on my baby bird stroking technique and ill be golden lol ;pCheers, will try everything suggested and keep you updated on my progress when i can,Keep it knotty!
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form