Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I'm new to dreads , general questions.

Madison B
@madison-b
10 years ago
2 posts

- Pictured below is the start of my dreads, I was wondering if they are looking okay?
- Also today I sprayed my home made lock accelerator and applied it then palm rolled each one and then dried my hair well.
- I was wondering if I should be doing anything about the loose hairs on the back of my neck and the front of my hair line?
- Also I heard wearing pantyhose at night helps them, but i also heard that the friction from the pillow is good for them, which is more true? Sorry that I have so many questions it's just that I'm so new.
- Any tips for tightening the loose ones?
- Anything that got you through your first couple weeks?

updated by @madison-b: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Cody Harder
@cody-harder
10 years ago
30 posts

Hi Madison! I'm new to dreads too, but I've picked up quite a bit browsing the forums on this site.

First off, your hair looks fine. If you just started the dreading process, keep in mind that you've done just that: started the process. Your hair is going to go through a lot of different (and very messy/disorganized) stages before it turns into dreadlocks. What you have are baby dreads, and they take tender care and lots of time and patience before they turn into the mature dreads that most people have in mind when they think "dreadlocks." It will most likely be at least 1 year before they start to chill out a bit and look more like dreads, though for some it is shorter and others it is a longer time frame.

Second, homemade locking accelerator (water plus sea salt) is great for creating frizziness and helping knots happen, but should only be left in the hair no longer than a couple hours: 1 - 2 hrs should be plenty of time to leave salt water in hair before being washed out. Use accelerator before you wash,

DO NOT PALM ROLL, at all, it is not necessary, does not have any lasting effect, and most importantly, can permanently damage your dreads. Example: http://www.dreadlockssite.com/video/why-not-to-palm-roll .

No need to wear anything for sleeping. The more free your hair is to move the better.

As to all of your questions regarding loose hair, tightening, maintenance, the simple answer is don't. The only maintenance you will want to do is washing regularly and separating the ones you don't want to get too big.

Loose hairs are part and parcel of dreadlocks. Some will work into existing dreads, some will form their own dreads over time, and some won't. Loose dreadlocks are perfect. Looseness is necessary for the hair to move and knot with other hairs. If you are constantly tightening them manually (with some kind of maintenance or technique) then you are actually hindering the process of the dread tightening naturally, which takes time and patience, and also potentially damaging your hair.

If you /still/ want to do maintenance (which almost no one on here will recommend), there are places where you can get tips. Just know that nearly all, if not all, do far more harm than good.

Things that got me through my first couple weeks (I'm at 1 month 1 week neglect):

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/dreading-the-1st-few-weeks-of

-look at other people's timelines or pictures of their early stages (don't try to compare TOO much, LOL)

-DEFINITELY read the "Dreaducation" guide found in a link at the top page under the slideshow

-remember: time and patience. Don't worry about your hair. Enjoy it!! =)

Madison B
@madison-b
10 years ago
2 posts

Thank you so much! I will try to be as care free as possible.
Cody Harder said:

Hi Madison! I'm new to dreads too, but I've picked up quite a bit browsing the forums on this site.

First off, your hair looks fine. If you just started the dreading process, keep in mind that you've done just that: started the process. Your hair is going to go through a lot of different (and very messy/disorganized) stages before it turns into dreadlocks. What you have are baby dreads, and they take tender care and lots of time and patience before they turn into the mature dreads that most people have in mind when they think "dreadlocks." It will most likely be at least 1 year before they start to chill out a bit and look more like dreads, though for some it is shorter and others it is a longer time frame.

Second, homemade locking accelerator (water plus sea salt) is great for creating frizziness and helping knots happen, but should only be left in the hair no longer than a couple hours: 1 - 2 hrs should be plenty of time to leave salt water in hair before being washed out. Use accelerator before you wash,

DO NOT PALM ROLL, at all, it is not necessary, does not have any lasting effect, and most importantly, can permanently damage your dreads. Example: http://www.dreadlockssite.com/video/why-not-to-palm-roll .

No need to wear anything for sleeping. The more free your hair is to move the better.

As to all of your questions regarding loose hair, tightening, maintenance, the simple answer is don't. The only maintenance you will want to do is washing regularly and separating the ones you don't want to get too big.

Loose hairs are part and parcel of dreadlocks. Some will work into existing dreads, some will form their own dreads over time, and some won't. Loose dreadlocks are perfect. Looseness is necessary for the hair to move and knot with other hairs. If you are constantly tightening them manually (with some kind of maintenance or technique) then you are actually hindering the process of the dread tightening naturally, which takes time and patience, and also potentially damaging your hair.

If you /still/ want to do maintenance (which almost no one on here will recommend), there are places where you can get tips. Just know that nearly all, if not all, do far more harm than good.

Things that got me through my first couple weeks (I'm at 1 month 1 week neglect):

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/dreading-the-1st-few-wee...

-look at other people's timelines or pictures of their early stages (don't try to compare TOO much, LOL)

-DEFINITELY read the "Dreaducation" guide found in a link at the top page under the slideshow

-remember: time and patience. Don't worry about your hair. Enjoy it!! =)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

wearing pantyhose is jusat stupid pulling them on is just like combing

dont palm roll!

dont worry about the loose hairs and esp[ecialy dont do anything about the loose roots they will take care of themselves

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form